Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Angelina Jolie Attached to Play Cleopatra; Should Brad Pitt Play Marc Antony?

no brother clowns! pbbfftt
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie M View Post
    Some ancient drawings of Cleopatra exist and she is not thought to be a great beauty. Most actresses are beautiful but one of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern backround might be more believable even if they are beautiful. Cleo and Marc Antony were madly in love. He lived life always to the fullest extent. He loved to drink, smoke, gamble, drugs (whatever they had at that time) and slept with women, men, girls, boys you name, he hit it! When he met her, he finally met a woman that was his equal in everything. After he was killed she commit suicide. I don't think Brad and Angie have the screen chemistry to pull this off. You need a couple to burn the screen. We need to come up with the perfect couple. What do you think out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    no brother clowns! pbbfftt
    Does her brother act? If so...there ya go.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Some ancient drawings of Cleopatra exist and she is not thought to be a great beauty. Most actresses are beautiful but one of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern backround might be more believable even if they are beautiful. Cleo and Marc Antony were madly in love. He lived life always to the fullest extent. He loved to drink, smoke, gamble, drugs (whatever they had at that time) and slept with women, men, girls, boys you name, he hit it! When he met her, he finally met a woman that was his equal in everything. After he was killed she commit suicide. I don't think Brad and Angie have the screen chemistry to pull this off. You need a couple to burn the screen. We need to come up with the perfect couple. What do you think out there?
    Jackie, you will not be surprised to learn that I would give my left tit for Russell Crowe to play Marc Antony. He and Richard Burton occupy the same passionate acting oeuvre, so..anyway, the question then becomes which actress would he have the most chemistry with?

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I always thought Russell could have chemistry with any woman.. that was until Sienna Miller proved me wrong. He and Jolie would be great together.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sorry to say, he didn't have much chemistry with Cate Blanchett in Robin Hood. But, you're right, I think he and Jolie might actually work.

Elite Member

Run for your life, Vanilla!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Jackie, you will not be surprised to learn that I would give my left tit for Russell Crowe to play Marc Antony. He and Richard Burton occupy the same passionate acting oeuvre, so..anyway, the question then becomes which actress would he have the most chemistry with?
    You are sooo right Sasha, Russell would be perfect for Marc Antony. I wish we were doing the casting. We need to come up with an actress. I think we need to go to Europe for this one. I just can't wrap my mind around Angelina. What do you think of Marion Cotillard?
    Last edited by Jackie M; June 16th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.

The last movie I saw Brad in was Troy. Loved it, he looked magnificent. And that was the end to a sweet movie star love. I'll keep my status as one who has never watched AJ for more than a total of 20 minutes of her entire career. 5 minutes of Gia and I had to hear her accent in that movie with Antonio Banderas. That was hilarious.

I've fared quite well without paying to see AJ or CZJ in a film. Well, I did pay to see Chicago, and the smoking while pregnant oak tree woman should have refunded my money. AJ is just icy cold with no heart and no on screen sex appeal. I love the Claudette Colbert and Liz Taylor versions. To hell with historical accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I've fared quite well without paying to see AJ or CZJ in a film.
    I've never given them a penny of my money, either.

Hit By Ban Bus!

You are sooo right Sasha, Russell would be perfect for Marc Antony. I wish we were doing the casting. We need to come up with an actress. I think we need to go to Europe for this one. I just can't wrap my mind around Angelina. What do you think of Marion Cotillard?
    I love Marion and she and Russell have good chemistry but I don't think she's right for Cleo. I would prefer a European actress though.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Sorry to say, he didn't have much chemistry with Cate Blanchett in Robin Hood. But, you're right, I think he and Jolie might actually work.

Cate Blanchett doesn't seem to have much chemistry with any one lately, if ever. Think I've lost the Lady Galadriel love... the last Indiana Jones killed it - she was gosh awful.

I hate to say it but I think Russell would make a better Ceasar due to his age and height. I think Jolie will do a good job as Cleo, I'm a hit or miss fan of her movies. Ya know Pitt might make a interesting Marc Anthony.

Race row erupts over casting of Angelina Jolie as Cleopatra

By Sophie Forbes
    Last updated at 2:52 PM on 18th June 2010

She hasn't even been officially confirmed as having the role, but Angelina Jolie is already receiving criticism over her possible portrayal of the legendary Queen of the Nile.

Jolie, who turned 35 last week, is caught up in a racially charged debate over whether the role should have been played by a black woman.

The Egyptian royal was most famously portrayed Elizabeth Taylor in 1963.

The new film's producer, Scott Rudin, previously told USA Today the role is being developed with Angelina in mind as she has 'the perfect look'.

But this statement has angered members of the African American community.

The perfect look? Angelina Jolie is being lined up to play Egyptian queen Cleopatra in a new film

Onscreen lovers? Brad Pitt has been suggested as Marc Anthony to Angelina's Cleopatra

An Essence Magazine online story asks, 'Another White Actress to Play Cleopatra?'

'Honestly, I don't care how full Angelina Jolie's lips are, how many African children she adopts, or how bronzed her skin will become for the film, I firmly believe this role should have gone to a black woman.'

Jolie adopted her daughter Zahara,5, from Ethiopia and gave birth to Shiloh,3, in Namibia. She also has 3 other children with partner, Brad Pitt. Maddox, 8, Pax, 6, and twins Knox and Vivienne, 2.

'Were Vanessa Williams, Halle Berry and Thandie Newton unavailable for auditions that day?' the writer continued.

'Why does Hollywood think it’s even slightly plausible to cast white women in roles that would be more sensible to cast a black actress for? Especially when that role is an African queen.'

The film is being directed by Ocean’s 11's Steven Soderberg, who originally planned to turn Cleopatra into a $30 million 3D epic starring Catherine-Zeta Jones and Hugh Jackman.

The casting of Joile has been backed by Pulitzer Prize winning author Stacy Schiff, who wrote the book which the film is based on, Cleopatra: A Life.
    'I think [Jolie] be perfect for it and I can see a possible Oscar in her future,' she said. 'Physically, she’s got the perfect look.'

The original film was one of the most infamous films of all time.

With several delays lasting months due to illness, crew strikes, a change of director and even deaths on set, the movie became the most expensive film ever made - nearly bankrupting 20th Century Fox.

Race row erupts over casting of Angelina Jolie as Cleopatra | Mail Online

Angelina Jolie draws criticism for being 'too white' to play Cleopatra in upcoming Scott Rudin film

Angelina Jolie is one of the most beautiful women in the world, but her "perfect" looks have some critics complaining she's all wrong for her latest role.

Earlier this month producer Scott Rudin got the Internet buzzing with his announcement that he was developing a Cleopatra biopic "for and with Jolie" based on Stacy Schiff's book "Cleopatra: A Life."

Schiff raved about the choice, telling USA Today, "Physically, she's the perfect look."

But some members of the African American community beg to differ -- they are outraged by the casting decision and say Jolie is "too white" to play the Egyptian Queen.

"I don't care how full Angelina Jolie's lips are, how many African children she adopts, or how bronzed her skin will become for the film," Shirea Carroll wrote in an editorial for Essence.com.

"I firmly believe this role should have gone to a Black woman...What's next? A biopic on Sojourner Truth played by Betty White?"

This isn't the first time Jolie has found herself at the center of a debate about race in Hollywood.

In 2007, she sparked serious controversy when she wore tinted make-up to play the role of slain Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl's wife Marian, who is partly of African descent. Pearl herself took to the press to defend Jolie, telling Time Magazine, "It is not about the color of your skin. It is about who you are."

While experts can't say with certainty what Cleopatra looked like, physically speaking, Jolie is probably not the most historically accurate choice. For starters, she's probably too tall, beautiful and skinny, according to what historians now know.

"Sadly for those who seek the secret of her personal allure, the more we study Cleopatra's surviving images, the less certain we may be of her [allegedly gorgeous] looks," Susan Walker, a senior curator at the British Museum, told the British Sunday Times.

In fact, according to ABC News, Egyptologists insist that the legendary temptress, known for having used her beauty to seduce Roman Emperor Julius Caesar and general Mark Anthony, was actually "short, fat and plain."

Despite the controversy, Jolie is still at least one fan's ideal choice to play the Queen.

Michael Pietsch, publisher of Little, Brown (which will put out Schiff's book this November) told UsMagazine.com, "Angelina Jolie radiates grace and power, exactly the qualities of the most intriguing ruler who ever lived."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Right and Jake Gyllenhaal isn't gay and he's not from the middle east but he played a gay guy and a Persian. Taylor Lautner isn't Native American either and yet he's playing a Indian. This goes on forever and seems like just another reason to bitch about something. Anna Paquin isn't from Louisiana and half the cast is British with southern accents. phfft. lame arguement

At least they didn't "black up" like Jolie did to play Mariane Pearl.

BTW - what do you think Persians look like? I know a lot & they look like they're from the Southern Med, not Arab. Pbbtt!!!!!!

And just because Hollywood is whitewashed it doesn't make it right. Get down off your Jolie-cross & get a grip.
    Free Charmed.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information