Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American version of Kath & Kim

Eli

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=DE-FepzzYQA[/youtube]

OMG it's funnier than the Aussie version already.

Kim: "I don't know where my marriage went wrong..."
    *TV, wedding, groom taps a piece of cake onto Kim's nose*
    Kim: "Oh my God, are you serious, you jerk!"
    *furiously smashes entire piece into groom's face*

God bless intelligent American writers.

Selma PUT ON WEIGHT for that role??? She looks so skinny, yeah her clothes are a little tight, but the whole point of Kiimmy was that she thought she was super-hot when she is quite clearly not! Ah well...it does look quite funny other than that...

Eli

My mum and I just laughed our arses off - a sign if anything because we're complete humour nazis. "Disss must be funny or it vill dayyeeeee!" Wedding cake moment - brilliant.

Eli

Oh my Gahd, the fuss Australians are making. Like they never copy American reality! Sanctim-finish-it-urself, or what!
    This show will probably expand characters so that they aren't blatantly ripping off the Aussie characters and (hopefully) actually make some very funny episodes. Paul Feig is directing the pilot, so I can tell you for a fact that it will be good.

I don't care what anyone says, i'm totally watching this! I'm a Selma Blair fan.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Allie _ not being Australian you wouldnt understand how sacrosanct the cultural cringe of the original version is to a lot of aussies.

That Gina Rielly and Jane turner would sign off on this disgusts me beyond words.

I dont care that much for the original myself, but if shit got this version caught on it , it would wipe it off!
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

A*O

It's a bit pathetic that these hit shows have to be "Americanised" in the first place in order for the US audience to Get It. The US version of The Office is utter crap - you can't improve perfection. I'll wait to see how Kath & Kim is going to be mutilated but from what I've seen the casting alone is enough to ruin it.

And although I'm only a comparatively recent Aussie (I've even got a passport, unlike some.....) I totally get Kath & Kim and I don't think it can be improved for the export market either.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's a bit pathetic that these hit shows have to be "Americanised" in the first place in order for the US audience to Get It. The US version of The Office is utter crap - you can't improve perfection. I'll wait to see how Kath & Kim is going to be mutilated but from what I've seen the casting alone is enough to ruin it.

And although I'm only a comparatively recent Aussie (I've even got a passport, unlike some.....) I totally get Kath & Kim and I don't think it can be improved for the export market either.
    I don't think its a question of Get It,rather identify with. It looks to be a good show here. Different,no doubt. They just take a premise & make it fit the country. No biggie.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Eli

Whoa whoa whoa Soth, wait a minute... I am Australian.

The Aussie version is not funny enough for it to be classes as a comedy. All I'm saying is... there's a reason why it's Australian.

McJag has echoed my feelings exactly. What's the big deal? Steve Visard ripped off David Letterman, and let's not forget 'So You Think You Can Dance Australia', and all the mindless billions of other stuff Australia has ripped off from America and not even given where credit's due.
    Argh I'm so sick of it! This show's going to be GREAT. I can't wait to love it and then rub it in the snooty Aussie fan's bum-hole faces and watch them spew shit.
    The end.

And A.O how dare you call US The Office utter crap! It's certainly not the UK Office, thank God. The US one has now done something amazing and turned into its own show. The US version won Emmy for best comedy series. I always trust the Emmy winning comedies. 30 Rock, Arrested Development, King of the Hill, The Simpsons...
    The US Office is the best comedy out of the US since Arrested Development, so even if angry fans of the UK version don't like it, at least it has the Emmy and Golden Globe, so nyer.
    And if by utter crap you mean equal to The Simpsons in its good old days, then sure.

Okay you know what, say what you will but I'm looking forward to this new take of a fairly ordinary storyline. I've been in about 50 arguments today about this, work, friends, etc. Quite frankly I'm tired! I will just wait until the first season comes out, see for myself, and if it is as hilarious as the US Office, I will proceed to rubbing it in to everybody.

Plus, this is an adaptation. Not the American version. It won't be reciting everything from the Aussie one, in American accents.
    Last edited by Eli; July 11th, 2008 at 08:55 AM.

Eli

I should state here that I used to watch Kath & Kim, but now that I don't watch much telly at all it's certainly gone from my life.

If you guys want to see some real funny humour, check out the Fast Forward thread on the TV page - same people, but when they were actually funny.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa Soth, wait a minute... I am Australian.
    Well technically you're not but anyway ... if these comedy shows are adapted for foreign audiences using the same formula, the same characters, even the same show titles then I think it's fair to compare them against each other. All it really does is highlight how different our respective cultures are when it comes to what we find funny (or not) and generally speaking hit shows that are tweaked to suit a foreign audience are never as good as the originals. Yes, the US version of The Office is funny but it's not in the same league as the UK original and I'm sure the same will apply to Kath & Kim.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

So don't watch the American version. The show is being americanized to appeal to the most lucrative television market in the world - America. If it's successful stateside, it will garner more ad dollars and revenue than the Australian version ever has in Australia and other parts of the Anglosphere or would in North America. The Australian version would find a modicum of success perhaps on a cable channel like A&E. We're talking about money here not artistic integrity or cultural edification.
    Last edited by qwerty; July 11th, 2008 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I should state here that I used to watch Kath & Kim, but now that I don't watch much telly at all it's certainly gone from my life.

If you guys want to see some real funny humour, check out the Fast Forward thread on the TV page - same people, but when they were actually funny.
    "I say love... I say Pet, I say Love / Cuppla dayys /

That you would bring fast forward into your 51's argument for the day is an incredible statement - stick to one or two and you might not tire yourself out

She goes / she goes

She just goes

The show is what you make of it - if you find this version funny I reserve my right to tell you what I think of your opinion, if I chose to cut and paste your opinion as an "Australian" to friends on your merits, I cant help if hillarity ensued - thanks for that

I stated that not being Strine (look it up) it would be hard to understand the integrety of the original - ie subtle stire Vs canned laughter ( shit lets remake MASH with a latino Hawkeye and make Col potter a woman so we can cover all demographics without offending anyones sensibilities - and even MASH had a fucking laugh track )

Qwerty - Spoken like a true entrepreneur, tell me more about the ABC again
    Last edited by Soth; July 11th, 2008 at 08:47 PM.
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

Elite Member

I dont know anything about the original show, but this one looks crap. Selma Blair can't do comedy. It's not just reciting funny lines, you actually have to have timing.

I like both versions of the Office. AO, just curious, have you only watched the first season of the US Office???

And I thought Allie was Australian? lol
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

Eli

I am. Born in England. Lived here since I was 2. Dad's Australian. I think that warrants. Nicole Kidman's not Australian since she was born in Hawaii, yet she is, so... I dunno.

Soth you can look up all the posts you want that I've written. It's not a waste of my time.

AO your opinion is your own and so forth, so your favouring of the UK Office is fair. But the UK and the US one are now vastly different shows, the only thing they share is the title, producer and the original synopsis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information