Page 96 of 101 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1507

Thread: American Idol Season 8 - 2009

^^ I demand a recount!!!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Bo Bice said he was relieved when he didn't win. Now granted, he hasn't been burning up the radio airwaves or anything, but some people don't want to be locked into the restrictions of winning. I suspect Adam feels the same way. January's right, there is no loser here.
    I don't understand why you go on Idol if you don't want to be a radio hit. Because if you say you just go for exposure, then surely the exposure you hope to get would lead to major airplay. That seems like a copout.

And this whole controversy can be easily solved by the understanding that the votes don't really determine who wins, so it's useless to come up with excuses as to who lost and who won Although I'm sure TPTB are sitting back and loving all this press, the Christian vs. gay, the south vs. LA, etc. Just my theory!

Bo knew that you didn't have to win to be a radio hit. I guess he was hoping to be like Chris Daughtry (or even Clay Aiken, God help us all) & get all the exposure, then go out & do great things on his own. Still waiting for that, but we'll see. I think it's a matter of wanting to have your cake (all the publicity) and eat it too (still have control over your own creative product).

Whether or not you want to BE the American Idol, it's still one of the fastest, surest ways of putting yourself in the public eye. Once you're in the top 4-5-6 or so, you get a lot of attention, even if you don't win.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa
    Gimme a break! Do you seriously believe Kris had more fans than Adam? Why? Because all of Arkansas State and their pets voted? Make no mistake: People weren't voting for Kris; they were voting against Adam. Big difference!
    If doesn't matter how many fans Adam has. If they don't vote, he can't win.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Clay Aiken Is Glad Adam Lambert Lost

PopEater
    Clay Aiken doesn't want to be told who to vote for on 'American Idol,' and he believes that's the reason that Adam Lambert didn't win the title.

On his blog, accessible only by paying the nearly $30 fee to become a fan club member, the second season runner-up explains what he thinks of Lambert, why he's happy Kris Allen won and his feelings toward the show now, Gawker reports.
    Skip over this content Clay Aiken Photostos

"The minute that Adam Lambert was singing 'Ring of Fire' ... at that moment, [i] thought my ears would bleed. Contrived, awful, and slightly frightening! I wasn't really a fan and found myself surprised whenever folks told me that they liked him," the 'Invisible' singer writes.

He continues, citing Allen's likability as a factor.

"But 'Idol' is not always a matter of musical taste only. It's about the person you like. From what little I saw, Kris seemed likable."

However, Clay implies that Lambert was shoved down everyone's throats.

"This year, there was an obvious bias. Not even having watched the show, I can tell you that I was WELL aware of the bias from the judges as to who should win. In my opinion, that is awfully unattractive. I don't think I am alone."

"I think many voters got sick of being "told who to vote for". I think many were turned off by the blatant favoritism shown towards one contestant. Therefore, on that last night, they used their votes against a contestant that they were tired of hearing about and for the contestant who had been written off. And, at the same time, I think they voted AGAINST an 'American Idol' that has, for four years now, been more about the slick productions and polished contestants than it has been about finding the raw talent that it did in its first three seasons," Aiken adds.

Aiken also thinks the show has changed.

"I feel that Ruben [Studdard, season one winner] and I were fairly matched. We both had our detractors and negatives, but I feel we were both very worthy of being on that stage in that moment, and either of us would have been worthy of winning. The show was different then, and folks made it in seasons 1-3 because they were "real" people who happened to sing/entertain well. But, somewhere along the way, 'AI' stopped being about real people."

so according to Clay Aiken, it wasn't the Christians that did Adam in, it was the judges pimping Adam out.

For me it was the fact the tweens fell for Kris... but because a gay person didn't win it of course must be the fault of Christians. phfft

he wasnt fairly matched with Ruben. Ruben was far and away the better singer. Clay just wasnt likeable. Ruben was.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with somethingawful.com

But apparently Adam Lambert's brother is a member there ($10 membership fee...which is why I'm only a lurker) and he made a thread trying to get people to vote for Adam.

Just thought this was interesting.

Vote for my brother on American Idol and freak out Middle America!! - The Something Awful Forums

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Bo knew that you didn't have to win to be a radio hit. I guess he was hoping to be like Chris Daughtry (or even Clay Aiken, God help us all) & get all the exposure, then go out & do great things on his own. Still waiting for that, but we'll see. I think it's a matter of wanting to have your cake (all the publicity) and eat it too (still have control over your own creative product).

Whether or not you want to BE the American Idol, it's still one of the fastest, surest ways of putting yourself in the public eye. Once you're in the top 4-5-6 or so, you get a lot of attention, even if you don't win.
    That's what I'm saying ... you're not going to be able to go on Idol, get tons of fans as well as commercial success, but still be the "artist" you want to be. It doesn't really work.

But the winner is obligated for a longer period of time, right? I don't know the details but that's the impression I have.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

All I know is the contract is super strict. There are several parts to it - signing with one of the determined record labels (Sony BMG, J, etc.) and also with 19 Entertainment. I think it would depend on how long they want to sign you for. But I know that the top 10 (if not more) aren't allowed to have any deals outside Idol for a period of time. The record label/19 Ent. has the first opportunity to sign them and even if they choose not to, they still have to wait for a period (6 months-year?) before being signed elsewhere. Something like that.

All I'm sayin' is if Adam is the greatest rock star to walk the earth which is what the fucking media are making him out to be, he would have had a contract. He needed American Idol so as much as his brother, or anyone else, wants to say FUCK AI, it sucks, well.. Adam will still be a nobody without it so your argument is lame. And MoodyJenny, that's what I've been posting for the last few pages. I think that's breaking the rules too (what Neil did.)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post
    All I'm sayin' is if Adam is the greatest rock star to walk the earth which is what the fucking media are making him out to be, he would have had a contract. He needed American Idol so as much as his brother, or anyone else, wants to say FUCK AI, it sucks, well.. Adam will still be a nobody without it so your argument is lame. And MoodyJenny, that's what I've been posting for the last few pages. I think that's breaking the rules too (what Neil did.)
    I have been doing a lot of reading and very little commenting, and very interesting points have been made here.

I honestly do not see a "please vote for my brother thread" in a stupid forum as a something as bad as "let's vote for Kris until our fingers bleed". All the repetitive voting crap is ridiculously stupid in so many levels, whilst making small campaigns is no big deal at all --in fact it's part of the game.

Plus, yes, all contestants needed the exposure, and yes, chances are none of them would have a chance in hell of getting a contract because talent is just not what sells nowadays (yes, I'm talking about the hip-hoppers/rappers/whatever they like to call themselves plus those Disney kids) unless you get media exposure beforehand. No matter at what level of "profficiency"/amateurism they were in, they wouldn't have a shot and would spent the rest of their days either singing in bars or in the family gatherings. The show garners exposure to a few of the many of the very talented in America and would most likely never get a chance at it (and all of you KNOW there are A LOT of people who can sing their asses off and just cannot make it because the music industry like to commercialize packaged crap, because, apparently, that's what people like to hear nowadays).

The one thing I still don't get here Dita --and I don't wanna come of as rude rude because I've seen you as one of the nicest members on this board over the last few years, I'm only honestly wondering-- is why do you have so much hatred directed towards Adam while it seems you have an obsession with the guy just as big as anyone's you call a "Lambertard".
    Last edited by Pandora; May 24th, 2009 at 12:24 AM.

^Alright, fair question.

Because being pissed off about something can require the same amount of time and energy as 'fantarding' I guess. The same can be asked of anyone who devotes time and energy into what they don't like. That's everywhere on this forum, not just in this thread. 90% of this place is disliking celebrities and being vocal about it. I'm just giving my opinion. It just gets a little long-winded. I have a bad habit of overanalyzing everything, and I have too much to say on too much, and because I like to put fact into my argument, I do go and research things much like 'Lambertards' would. See when I'm giving my opinion, people usually ask 'where did you get that from?' so I go find it and end up finding more things to comment on again... it's never-ending. Then I think someone else might be interested in it, then it turns out they aren't, so you have my LONG posts and people's 2 sentences haha.

And I'm still pissed off that I'm yet to see a Kris interview where he's not giving the impression that he's completely undeserving of the win. So I come in here and blow off steam and it gets misinterpreted as me having an Adam obsession when I'm just saying how I feel about him. It just takes me a few hundred paragraphs to say it! I've had obsessions before... this might look like one, but it's really nothing in comparison to what an obsession is in my world I'm ashamed of genuine obsession so I don't even bring the object of my obsession up. This is just ranting.

Oh, and "Lambertard" isn't what I call anyone that is an 'Adam fan'. It's the insane fans - I only used that term under the 'Adam dictionary' because... come on! That kind of craziness is the work of the insane fans.
    Last edited by DitaPage*; May 24th, 2009 at 03:34 AM.

Elite Member

Default re

Eh. The voting system is flawed and lends itself to abuse. And Simon's pimping of Adam and Danny was ridiculous.

With that said, American Idol is a supremely mainstream show and the public voted in someone who is talented, charming, nice, cute, and also fits in very well with mainstream tastes (and I don't mean that as an insult). I don't think Kris minded being the underdog--he is a pretty unassuming guy--and he seems happy and relaxed in the interviews I've seen since he won.

I wish them both well.
    Last edited by BBDSP; May 24th, 2009 at 07:33 AM.

Default Clay Aiken Apologizes to Adam Lambert on Fan Site

Clay Aiken Apologizes to Adam Lambert on Fan Site
    Saturday May 23, 2009

Clay Aiken apologized to Adam Lambert on his fan site Saturday morning -- one day after he slammed the American Idol runner-up as "frightening" and said one of his performances made his "ears bleed."

Aiken writes: "I'll be the first to admit that my opinion is just that, only my opinion, but for as much as some of the bloggers seem to dislike me and care so little about my thoughts, they sure can waste a lot of their space on what I say! If only many of them took the time to pay attention to important things like the US economy and the welfare of the world's children. But… nah… I could blog about that type of stuff anytime and most wouldn't think twice, but let me say something that they can pick and choose quotes and misinterpret me… and it's showtime! I never assumed my opinion mattered so much! I guess I may have been wrong."

"That said, since my previous blog got dissected like a biology lab frog, i suppose I should clarify and even retract some of what I wrote. I am sure that some were upset by my choice of words describing my opinion of a performance I heard from Adam Lambert. I hope no one actually believed that blood truly poured forth from my ears when I heard him. I obviously meant it as a colorful statement to imply that I did not enjoy what I heard. Any performer hopes that their music will appeal to all people, but no singer realistically expects it to. God knows, I am SURE there are PLENTY of people who can't stand to hear me sing either. I wouldn't dream of assuming that, and I am sure that far worse things have been said about my performances than I would even venture to type here. To me, that's fine. I don't expect unanimous, nor even majority support for my music. But, my guess is Adam doesn't either. I would not venture to make judgements [sic] on the personality or demeanor of anyone I don't know, so none of what I said in my previous blog was directed as a 'slam' on Adam as a person. At the same time, I wouldn't dream of slamming him as an entertainer. He does what he does, because he enjoys it, and he obviously has many fans who enjoy it as well. If what I said in my previous blog regarding my impression of a single performance from Adam upset or offended any of his fans, I expect that the mature ones will realize that it was simply a poorly worded metaphor describing my personal tastes. The only person I would really dream of apologizing to is Adam. And the irony is, if he's smart he couldn't give a crap what I think of his 'Ring of Fire' performance. As an entertainer, Adam knows that one person's opinion of one performance really matters a little less than zero, in the grand scheme of things. He could not have gotten on Idol (nor made it as far as he did) without an immense amount of talent. He surely doesn't need my approval to know he has a gift. At the same time, he realizes that amazing talent doesn't always equal universal appeal. (I could NEVER have the amount of skill and talent that ballet dancers have! that's talent! But, I don't particularly enjoy it!) I am sure that I will have plenty of opportunities in the coming years to hear Adam sing. I imagine he'll be around for years to come. But in the meantime, I definitely don't want to stoop to the level of so many negative freaks on the internet… so, I do apologize to Adam for my colorful (and negative) choice of words. I hope he can forgive me. I imagine he doesn't give a d---! God knows he shouldn't."
    News - Clay Aiken Apologizes to Adam Lambert on Fan Site | Usmagazine.com

Thread Information