Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol Season 6

I think the judges are pretty good at discerning who is humble with unrealistic hopes vs. crappy & grandiose. They're usually gentle enough with the sweet or not-very-bright ones & show no mercy to the arrogant ones.

I don't usually feel sorry for anybody who is ridiculed because this show has been on long enough for them all to know what happens during the first weeks. As for the show using people for ratings, well yes, and why not? That's what it's all about. The contestants are also using the show for their own personal agenda. This is what makes it so fun for those of us watching.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    LOL... man, that guy was weird. Did you see Ryan Seacrest's face when he was interviewing him afterwards and the guy didn't say anything??! Lord, last night, Ryan Seacrest almost deserved that star on the walk of fame for keeping a straight face while interview all those whackos!!

Yes! That's right, it was him that Ryan had the reeeeallly uncomfortable interview with. I kept thinking the dude was like Forest Gump: "That's all I have to say 'bout tha-at"
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

Elite Member

I'm usually one of those who doesn't start watching the show until the contestants are widdled down to a dozen, but last night I gave in...and I'm sorry I did. The whole two hours was spent enduring one awful audition after another. That was two hours of my life I'll never get back. The only ones I recall making it through were the brother and sister and Jordan Sparks, the incredible 16 year old.

AI has hit an all time low by thinking the N. America is entertained by making fun of someone's physical appearance. The "bush baby" comment was unnecessary and incredibly rude. I'm all for a good laugh over a terrible performance, but not over something out of someone's control.

I dunno. I think that if you want to be not only an entertainer, but a huge star, your looks are up for discussion. Granted, Simon's method of "discussing" looks can be pretty caustic.

I don't know. I don't see making fun of attributes that people can change, like their style or their haircuts. But when you pick on certain things, its really irritating. I felt it was out of line when he criticized that one women over and over again for being tall. That must suck, thats not an attribute she can change, I don't know why it should be mentioned.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah but I thought it was hilarious when he said "you guys just put through a giraffe"!

I think the girl can take it well, she's no doubt used to it and seemed like a really good sport. Plus, she wasn't half bad, pretty good in fact.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    LOL... man, that guy was weird. Did you see Ryan Seacrest's face when he was interviewing him afterwards and the guy didn't say anything??! Lord, last night, Ryan Seacrest almost deserved that star on the walk of fame for keeping a straight face while interview all those whackos!!

Strangely enough, I didn't feel bad for the bush baby, but did for the chubby guy. He certainly sang alot better than I thought he would, too. Poor guy - why would his parents let him go audition like that?
    I felt so bad for the computer tech guy with the odd eyes. He looked like he was just completely terrified the entire time. Most of the geeks I've worked with has such extreme social retardedness that they are awkward in all situations. This guy seemed no different. He has a Myspace page - http://www.myspace.com/139692772 and a software page - http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/

Beginning to really hate AI because it's very difficult to sound great when you're singing completely accapella but with that kind of pressure it would nearly impossible. It's about as raw as it gets and not a true measure of if you can actually sing or not.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The reason it felt scripted to me with the compute tech guy with the odd eyes is that they let him go on and on and on. Then Ryan did the same thing afterward. The whole thing looked prefab and carried out as a skit.

Idol Season Six Strikes Sour Note
    by Sarah Hall
    Fri Jan 19, 12:00 PM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Just two episodes into the sixth season and American Idol has been already hit by its first controversy.

Tommy Daniels, one of the few singers to display impressive vocal skills at the Seattle auditions on Wednesday's episode, also has an impressive criminal past, according to court documents uncovered by tmz.com.

The aspiring Idol contestant was convicted of drunken driving in 2004 and sentenced to a one-year alcohol diversion program and fined $680. After he completed the sentence, the incident was wiped from his record.

"I was young and dumb and drinking and driving," Daniels told tmz.com about the incident.

In 2005, Daniels, now 22, was arrested again, for hit-and-run in an incident that apparently involved him colliding with another vehicle. After he failed to appear in court for his arraignment hearing, he was rearrested.

It was unclear whether Daniels had resolved his legal issues. Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles records indicate that his license remains suspended, according to the Oregonian.

In an interview with a Fox affiliate in Oregon, Daniels claimed he had been completely honest about disclosing his criminal history to Idol producers. Neither Fox nor the producers had any comment on the revelations.

Though Idol contestants have been eliminated in the past after their rap sheets became public fodder, others have been permitted to remain on the show in spite of their indiscretions, especially if producers were already aware of the situation ahead of time.

Last season, identical twin brothers Derrell and Terrell Brittenum were dismissed from the competition after they were jailed on charges they used another man's identity and financial information to purchase a car.

In the second season, Corey Clark was booted from the show after it was discovered he had been arrested on assault charges. Another season two competitor, Jaered Andrews, was kicked out of the semifinal round after he was arrested in connection with a murder charge. (He was later acquitted.)

However, when season four runner-up Bo Bice's arrest records for felony cocaine possession in 2001 and marijuana possession in 2003 surfaced during the competition, Fox and Idol producers stood behind the singer, claiming he had been forthcoming about his criminal past from the outset.

Another season four contestant, Scott Savol, was also permitted to remain on the show after his prior arrest for domestic violence was made public, because he, too, had been honest with the network and producers regarding his background.

It remains to be seen whether Daniels' police record will affect his future on the show.

In other Idol news, judges Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul have been roundly accused of being overly cruel to this year's crop of hopefuls, both by media critics and by posters on the americanidol.com message boards.

"The judges are in a position of power. They could deflate people's dreams gently, with maturity and compassion," one viewer wrote. "Instead, they bully. They ridicule appearance, they ridicule demeanor. They laugh about it amongst themselves afterwards. On television. Bullying on a grand scale. They must be proud."

Never one to hang back from a conflict, Rosie O'Donnell launched into a tirade against the threesome on Thursday's View after playing a clip of Cowell insulting contestant Kenneth Briggs and calling him a "bush baby" on Wednesday's episode.

"Isn't that what America thinks is entertainment?" O'Donnell asked. "To make fun of someone's physical appearance and then when they leave the room laugh hysterically at them—three millionaires, one probably intoxicated."

Judging from the ratings, that's exactly what America thinks is entertainment. After Tuesday's premiere drew a record audience of 37.3 million viewers, Idol came close to repeating the feat Wednesday night, with 36.9 million tuning in for the Seattle auditions.

The show returns Tuesday and Wednesday with auditions in Memphis and New York.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/2007...7_02442288224d
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm watching AI rewind right now, which is basicallly just them reairing season 1 with some extra interview clips. It's in the Hollywood round right now, and I'm truly shocked at the difference in contestant quality between season 1 and season 6. I know we probably haven't seen some of the best in 6 yet, but even the people who didn't make it past the first cut in Hollywood season 1 were better than some of the people they've shown getting through so far.

I'm watching it too, Noday. It's fascinating - poor little Kelly Clarkson kept wearing such schoolmarm dresses & she looked like she needed to get put back on the bus & sent home to the farm. The judges were really struggling with whether or not they wanted to let her continue - her image almost stopped her progress.

Simon never liked Kelly until the end of the competition.

I haven't seen anyone this season that I think could win. I think the good people are being overshadowed by the bad people because a lot of viewers tune in only to see the horrible auditions, which is why the audition shows always have the biggest ratings. They're also doing more audition shows and less of the Hollywood round, so they must be trying to captolize on America's love of the auditions.

The only guy that I really liked so far already might be disqualified because he has a criminal record, so that sucks.

Well, there have only been 2 shows, and the first couple of weeks focus on the bad ones, anyway. There's still hope. They keep showing a commercial for the next show where Simon says "a million times yes" and Randy says something about not caring what the person looks like "but you can blow!"

My interest is piqued on that one. Can't wait to see & hear this person.

Which guy has already been disqualified? I'm behind, here. Don't tell me it was the guy with the afro-ish hair. Please don't say it was him.

It was him http://www.tmz.com/category/american-idol/

He hasn't been disqualified. TMZ unearthed his record then asked him about it ... when they asked if he had told the producers, he had no comment, which makes me think he didn't. And if he didn't, that's automatic disqualification. Scott Savol and Bo Bice both had records but told the producers, so it was okay.

And also the fact that he's commenting at all makes me think he was either disqualified or just cut naturally because they really aren't allowed to talk to the press. Maybe I'm wrong though. The top 24 has already been chosen so maybe he just didn't make it that far.

Well, hell.

You know, come on now. If you have a record, please understand that IT WILL COME OUT. There are people standing by just waiting to dig up the dirt on you. It will not remain your secret. Fess up from the beginning & be done with it.

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread Information