Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol Season 6

John Stevens definitely stayed too long too, but he was much more sane than Sanjaya. He wasn't in his own world, and he never talked back to the judges (that I can remember). He went on to release a cd of covers that was actually pretty good. Not amazing or anything, but pleasant music if you just want to relax. I think he's studying at Boston Conservatory or somewhere similar now ...

I've been tracking this VFTW website since last season when they had Kellie Pickler as their contestant. Back then, they picked Kellie, even when she didn't need their votes to stay on. People were voting for her on their own. Then they swtiched to Taylor Hicks, when he had been coming in at the top of the pack all season (via Dialidol.com).

At the beginning of this season, Sanjaya was not the original pick. Sundance was. And Sanjaya was already in the top 3 or 4 every week, even before he was made the pick. So i guess my point is that, VFTW and Howard Stern may think that they're having an effect and would like to take credit for this, but I really don't think it's making that much of a difference. And all these people getting upset over it is kinda pointless. A) It's just a TV show and B) With over 30 million votes every week, these groups are most likely not having much of an effect, if any on the voting. As hard as it is to believe, there are actually people out there that like Sanjaya and vote for him obsessively every week. Same as John Stevens, Kevin Covais, Nikki McKibbin... etc.

^ Yep, every time their "favorite" gets voted out, they just pick a new one. A lot of times it happens to be someone genuinely good/popular, so of course they would be getting votes, but VFTW takes credit it. They also supported Carrie Underwood.

Quote Originally Posted by vballchica134 View Post
    John Stevens definitely stayed too long too, but he was much more sane than Sanjaya. He wasn't in his own world, and he never talked back to the judges (that I can remember). He went on to release a cd of covers that was actually pretty good. Not amazing or anything, but pleasant music if you just want to relax. I think he's studying at Boston Conservatory or somewhere similar now ...
    I agree, JS stayed too long, but.... and I can't believe I'm saying this..... I actually find Sanjaya more entertaining. John was exactly. the. same. every single week, but you never quite know what Sanjaya is going to do, or look like. Well, granted, he sounds pretty much the same each week, but still

Ok, tonight:

Blake: He was really good! I think tonight he showed that he can definitely do diverse types of music & still perform confidently & well.

Phil: Bless his bald head, the boy does have a nice voice, he's just not star material. I STILL can't look at him, and it seemed to me that he was putting everything he had into the song, yet all 3 judges shot him down for sounding boring, dull & less-than-passionate. It's just all he's got, I guess.

Mindy Doo: I said it, I said it the first damn week, this girl will be a STAR. She was great tonight. I can totally imagine her as a background singer all these years, hanging in the back but intently watching the stars & the divas, and making mental notes of what works, and dreaming of being up there herself some day. She's outstanding.

Chris: He was too cute tonight. His voice had this adorable pleading quality to it tonight, and he worked that stage. He did exactly what the judges said - he made an old standard sound new.

Jordin: Last week would be tough to follow. Tonight was good, but I wasn't enthralled. Sounded a *little* whiney in spots.

Gina: Don't like the song, & especially don't like it for her. She sounded pretty good, but the girl is better when she belts it out.

Sanjaya: Don't know what the John Travolta suit was all about, but it's always fun to see how he's going to wear his hair. I heard on CNN this morning that KFC offerred him a lifetime supply of KFC Bowls if he would wear his hair in a bowl haircut. Hmmm. His singing was not not horrid, but sounded like what you'd hear at a high school talent show.

Haley: I'm pretty tired of this chick. Last week, I said she reminded me of a pageant girl. This week, she WAS a pageant girl, and Simon apparently agreed, saying that her performance was pageant-y. I'm not a fan of her thin, weak voice. She'll be a great trophy wife someday.

Lakisha: Meh, when it wasn't spectacular, it was good, but I didn't feel it this week. And I agree with Tony Bennett, she should have ended with the big note & left off that crap at the end. Hated the dress.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Elite Member

^ Lobelia, I agree with you 100%. I could've written your post above. Especially about Haley being a good trophy wife. God, you read my mind! I also really looooved Blake and Melinda's performances too.

..and just for a sidenote here, I'm not a fan of Tony Bennett by any means, but I have to say he was very gracious and I loved the fact that he pretty much had something positive to offer all the idol contestants. He seems like a gracious man who offers constructive criticism from the perspective of someone who's been in the business for a long, long time.

The surprising thing to me is that a super star of decades could give them advice on a platter and they IGNORE it!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I think Haley will be gone next week. She really is the weakest, not counting "hairboy".
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Elite Member

Haley's performance reminded me of something a stripper would sing at a bachelor party. All those cutesy faces, over the top mannerisms and jiggling around onstage were so suggestive. All she needed to do was jump out of a cake. What annoys me about her is that she wears these super short dresses, shows a little more cleavage than she should, makes these bedroom eyes at the camera and then seems 'annoyed' whenever any of the judges make reference to her great looks (because she's not ugly and she knows it). I got news for you Haley...if you want to be known for your talent, then stop acting like burlesque act and be a singer. You either want to be known as a great singer or a sex-pot, so make up your mind. Sing like a professional and quit wearing tops that accent your boobs and super short dresses that show major leg. I mean seriously, what does she expect? There's nothing wrong with being pretty, but she's using it in all the wrong ways in my opinion. It's a little too manufactured or like someone above said, 'pageant'-like.

Four letters: FAKE.

i was irked when Tony gave the kids advice and some of them didnt take it. I just laugh when i see Sanjaya anymore. and Haley? there is no power to her voice, she is like the church choir girl, except she dresses like a high school hooker. Melinda, while great, is starting to nerve me with the 'oh me? i'm good?' act. come on now.......
    my attention has been on Gina for a while and Chris. maybe just because they are underdogs. AND IF RANDY SAYS 'SO CHECK IT OUT' one more time, i'm gonna scream!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

From a trained singers point of view this week

Blake: Didn't do justice to the song, pitchy in places and no spark or connection with song. Wimpy. - Needs to go
    Phil: Again, performance very much like Blakes but putting some sort of weird spin on the song like he was Mr Serial Killer singing it to his next victim. - Needs to go.
    Melinda: Nothing wrong with her performance, a little weak at the beginning. Some vocal coach does need to work with her on her stance and see if they can get her to stand up straighter and pull those shoulders down from her ears. You get truer more bell like tones when you stand up straight - The absolute best of the bunch.
    Chris: Decent solid performance, he managed to make the song totally his and inject his own style into it while keeping it recognizable for the masses- Should stay.
    Jordan: A bit pitchy in spots but showed an entire range of vocal variety and technically correct vocals - Steadily improving, should stay.
    Gina: She did the best she could with something that isn't her style. She's good at rock n roll but doesn't have the chops or the versatility to do any other genres effectively - Needs to go.
    Sanjaya: There are no words. This isn't really singing, it's more like what you do in the shower. - Very much needs to go.
    Haley: Meehmmp, okay at best. Pitchy in places, she came across as trying to sell the song too hard. Another one that flounders outside of her genre. - Needs to go.
    LaKisha: First half of the song was dreadful and pitchy but she managed to salvage it by the end. Wrong song sung at the wrong tempo for her voice - Needs improvement but undecided on stay or go.

DialIdol has Gina, Lakeisha and Haley as the bottom three. Melinda, Phil and Sanjaya are top three.

Melinda was fab, as usual.

I missed Blake, sadly..I'll have to check him out on you tube later today. I'm curious as to how he went. That song is one of my all time faves.

Haley has got to go. She's dreadful. The comment that she's very pageant-esque was sooo true. To me she's boring, stiff, personality-less, plastic and contrived looking, even when she's trying to be playful and "sexy". I don't even think she's such a great singer. She reminds me of any given female lead in any given high school amateur musical. She's a dime a dozen.

Gina ...I liked her last week, this week, I left the room to get a cup of tea during her song, there was nothing about her performance that said "stay and watch me."

Jordin was fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post

Haley has got to go. She's dreadful. The comment that she's very pageant-esque was sooo true. To me she's boring, stiff, personality-less, plastic and contrived looking, even when she's trying to be playful and "sexy". I don't even think she's such a great singer. She reminds me of any given female lead in any given high school amateur musical. She's a dime a dozen.
    Yes, very true. She's a pretty girl but really has no charisma. I'm kind of surprised she's lasted this long.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Venus, are you in the UK? I didn't known AI shows in real time over there.

^^ Mira, I'm in the states at the moment.

Thread Information