Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol Season 6

I think Sanjaya's cute. And I'm old enough to be his mom. I saw that clip where he was singing "You Really Got Me Now" and he was adorable! I think he has potential.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well I'll raise my hand for a smackdown too. With the proper training and handling this little guy could go far. He's got looks and a decent enough voice, but the flaming stuff has got to go. I feel a bit sorry for him right now, like many do. Still, I don''t want him to win.

Last night it struck me that it could very well end up being Sanjaya and Jordin in the final two. Don't know why I thought that. Just a hunch.

Bronze Member

I'm sure lots of people have a soft spot for him...that's why they vote for him! Well, except for the morons like Howard Stern who want the worst to win. I wonder how the contestants treat him behind closed doors...he's pobably completely excluded. That can't be fun for him. If I were him I'd be afraid they'd all shave my head in my sleep or something

I realize that Lakisha and Melinda have spectacular voices, but I've been really bored with their performances for the last few weeks. I don't know if it's the song choices or what, but they're just not interesting to me anymore. I'd like to see Jordin in the finals, I always look forward to her performances.

Maybe its just me and the way I was raised, but I had to see people excluded. To me, its a form of bullying. Its one thing if they've done something to deserve it, but I truly think he's a good (awkward) kid who's way out of his element. Its not up to them who stays and who goes, so quit being snarky bitches, is what I say.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I love it that Sanjaya is still in. At first I was quite affronted, he's not a great singer or even performer. Especially after seeing how none of the "camaraderie" is extended to him after he is declared safe from getting kicked off, I'm rooting for him.

He's the underdog, he's awkward, unsure of himself and I always wonder if he's slightly taking the piss. I'm far from a fan, but like I said before; there's a real perverse part of me that wants him to stay in as long as he can.
    I noticed that Jordin didnt get much of a reaction from her fellow contestants either.

That might have something to do with the fact the majority of the contestants this year are older then, especially the ones left (Gina and Chris are the next youngest, they're 22, and then the rest are closer to 30). It's possible Sanajaya and Jordin are kept in separate housing b/c they're under 18 or the others just view them as really young and don't spend as much time with them.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Thanks Picara! Its actually part of a larger quote that wouldn't fit into my sig: "Hollywood amuses me. Holier-than-thou for the public and unholier-than-the-devil in reality. I hated Hollywood. It's a town without pity. I know of no other place in the world where so many people suffer from nervous breakdowns, where there are so many alcoholics, neurotics, and so much unhappiness." I miss GK (sigh)....the movie stars of today don't hold a candle to the movie stars of the old days.
    Thanks for the whole quote. It's still appropriate for today. I miss Grace too. There aren't many like her now.

Undercover Gator I thought the same about Gwen as well. I'm a huge fan of hers, but she didn't seem able to give any insightful advice. It seemed difficult for her to articulate her thought. Maybe she's someone who has the talent, but can't teach others.

Haley needs to go next. She is one of the most boring contestants. Even her hot pants failed to make her interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Picara View Post
    Haley needs to go next. She is one of the most boring contestants. Even her hot pants failed to make her interesting to me.
    She has got to go, she's just boring. She's a 40 year old hotel singer trapped in a twenty something body.

Sanjaya sounds very uninspired.....very limited. But i think he handles himself well. You bet he knows that too many people think he should be out. But he is always smiling ad having fun...excpet for when he is singing.

Quote Originally Posted by silver024 View Post
    someone at work this morning said they read that Simon is threatening to quit the show if Sanjaya wins? Did anyone else hear/read that??
    He said it kind of jokingly but if it weren't for the contract for three more seasons and the $$$ he's making just by sitting there each week, I wouldn't doubt him.

What is scary about Sanjaya is that he now has all this confidence but it's so misplaced ... seems like it could end up being a really ugly situation when he eventually does get kicked off.

Simon Cowell Will Quit If Sanjaya Malakar Wins 'American Idol'

American Idol judge Simon Cowell has doomed a wannabe singer's chance of winning the TV talent contest by revealing he'll quit the show if he wins. The acid-tongued British judge admits he was stunned when contestant Sanjaya Malakar beat rocker Sundance Head for a place in the final 12 on Thursday night, and he'll leave the show if the Indian-American singer is crowned the next "American Idol."

Brutal Cowell says, "He's not going to win. I won't be back if he does!"

Simon Cowell Will Quit If Sanjaya Malakar Wins 'American Idol' - Starpulse News Blog
    Here's an article about how Chris considered quitting. I wouldn't have a problem with that, if it didn't seem like cheating in a way. I don't understand why people like Taylor go on the show - "real" musicians (by their own definition). When they're eventually forced to do cheesy group performances then put out an album of bad songs, they're surprised and upset. Why did you come on in the first place? Obviously to get exposure but still, they know exactly what they're getting into. Keep playing in the small clubs each week if you want to be a struggling musician, which I think a lot of them really do, though they wouldn't admit it. It's seen as more respectable and worthy in some way. I'd rather see someone who will embrace it in all its cheesiness or at least show some respect for the show that made you famous, and not act like you're better than it. Obviously you're not if you were stuck unknown, playing in clubs for 10 years.

Chris Sligh: 'My Goal Was to Reach the Top 10'
    By Monica Rizzo

America said bye, bye, bye on Wednesday to Chris Sligh, who was dubbed by Ryan Seacrest as "the most clever contestant we've ever had on the show." But America didn't humor the Greenville, S.C., native by keeping him around. His version of The Police's "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" ended up being his swan song. PEOPLE caught up with the 28-year-old singer about almost quitting the show, keeping off the pounds and getting $50 richer.

Last night as you sang you told fellow contestant Phil Stacey that he owed you fifty bucks. Why?
    The last couple of weeks Brandon (Rogers) and Stephanie (Edwards)'s (farewell) performances hadn't been shown on TV so I honestly did not know they were still filming me. I had no idea that my shout-out – "You owe me fifty bucks'" – was going to 30 million people. I KNEW that I was going home. Nobody gets away from being trashed like I did on Tuesday night unscathed. I told Phil that I was going home and he was like, "There's no way you're going home before me." And I said, "Dude, I bet you fifty bucks I'm going home" and he took me up on it and I won.

You were raked over the coals by the judges for singing "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic." Looking back, what do you think about it?
    I really wanted to challenge myself. I didn't realize it was going to be quite that much of a challenge. I went back and listened to my performance from Tuesday night probably about 10 to 15 times. It wasn't a great performance but honestly, it wasn't as bad as the judges made it seem.

How do you feel about leaving?
    I don't know that I ever had it on my mind that I wanted to win, but I did want to do well in the competition. There's that competitive side of me that kicks in. My goal was to reach the Top 10 so I could go on tour. I'm going out knowing that I gave my best for every song that I did.

You tried some new things that weren't well-received. Wasn't that frustrating?
    Really, the judges never commented on my voice, which I think was a little bit frustrating for me. Just at least say, "You have great vocals but I didn't like the arrangement." It was never that. What solidified it in my mind was when I was universally trashed for my arrangement for "Endless Love." I actually almost dropped out. I went to the guy from 19 (Entertainment) and I said, "Can I still go on the tour if I drop out?" and he said, "No."

What did the judges say to you after Wednesday's show?
    Simon came up to me and said to me, "Chris, the reason you're gone (is) you lost your sparkle, so in the next 24 hours get your sparkle back because I really think you're a star." That was really nice of him to say that to me. Randy came up and agreed with Simon and gave me a big hug. I have a lot of respect and love for those guys.

What's up next for you?
    When I get back (home) I'm going to hook back up with my band (Half Past Forever). We put out a CD that we recorded before I tried out for American Idol. We were getting a little interest before, so I think those doors should open up for us. That would be great. I think my wife and I are going to take a much-needed vacation. I am looking forward to kind of having a normal life for a few weeks. Then I have to be back out (to L.A.) a week before the finale.

You dropped 30 lbs. over the past several months. Despite all of your self-deprecating humor, do you want to lose more weight?
    I'm actually planning on losing some more weight. I think that when I get to the finale I'm hoping everyone will be surprised it's the same Chris Sligh.

Chris Sligh: 'My Goal Was to Reach the Top 10' | American Idol (Series) : People.com

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Maybe she's someone who has the talent, but can't teach others.
    Picara that is my take too. Not everyone can teach others how to sing or effectively coach. Gwen's a great singer

Sometimes it's hard to explain something that is so instinctive.

Interesting articles, vballchica, thanks for posting them.

E! (The Soup) did such a funny story on Sanjaya. It came on the perfect day - my husband was asking me about him, which demonstrates how much publicity this has gotten - my husband only listens to sports radio & such. I called him in to watch The Soup as they talked about the situation. They kept showing Sanjaya's head floating across the screen as a voice whispered "Sanjaya!" over & over. It was pretty funny.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^ I saw that, really funny, Sanjaya's hair salon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    This is the irony - I really don't think Sanjaya believes he's 'getting by' or making a joke of himself. He thinks he's offering legitimately good music on an equal level as the others because the judges got him as far as the top 24 and then the public felt he earned a spot in the Top 10.

Also, there have been some pretty mediocre contestants who held on in the Top 10 in the past - Kevin Covais, Anthony Federov and Nikki McGibbon come to mind. Every season has had their "Sanjaya". Also, it's hard to fault Sanjaya for making it through week after week. He certainly doesn't influence the voting. We have Howard Stern and the like to thank for that. For that reason, I sympathize with him. I don't think he deserves to be there, but I also don't think he deserves to be ostracized by his fellow contestants.
    Good point. Does anyone remember the red headed twerp John from season 3? He was on there I think until the final 5-6 and he sucked! Its the same with Sanjaya-young, cute teenage boys staying just because of what they are rather than actually being able to sing. I do like Sanjaya though, he can't sing very well IMO but he's certainly a cutie.

Thread Information