Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol - Season 5

Default Re: American Idol - Season 5

I'm not saying it's because she's a Christian at all. I would say the same thing if she was Jewish or Muslim or any other religion out there. The word lifestyle has a lot of negative associations, especially to those that are a member of the gay community. I still like her, it's just that I believe she took a HUGE hit because of that statement and the fact people interpreted it that way.

Regardless of the specific religion, because she believes in God, she's anti-gay because she used the word "lifestyle?"

I'm beginning to hate that word. It's always just been a functional word to me, and I'm realizing that it's now irrevocably fused with negative sentiment toward homosexuals. It's stupid. We ALL have lifestyles.

I still think that if they're mad at her for using that word, then they're actively seeking people to put on their Hater List.

ETA: NoDay, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I just find this disheartening & frustrating. To be truthful, what popped into my mind with her remark was a drug or crime lifestyle, & didn't give it any more thought.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Lifestyle does not automatically mean gay though. Someone's "lifestyle" could be choosing to get drunk every night and not be a responsible person. You know?

People who want to hate will find a reason to. I was on another forum where someone bashed Katharine for saying Simon didn't like country music. WHAT? haha He himself has said that so many times, so her saying it meant nothing. It actually explained why he was so pissy all night (as I knew he would be).

So yeah, if someone doesn't WANT to like someone, they'll go down the list trying to find a reason. Not saying anyone here, just in general, because I've seen others discuss the lifestyle thing too.

For some reason (other than his stupid name and stupid teeth), I don't mind Bucky. I liked the Tim McGraw song he did last week. I can't stand Paris, and Elliot makes me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_perfect
    For some reason (other than his stupid name and stupid teeth), I don't mind Bucky. I liked the Tim McGraw song he did last week. I can't stand Paris, and Elliot makes me cringe.

Was I seeing things or did it look like he fixed his teeth..or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik
    Was I seeing things or did it look like he fixed his teeth..or something?
    No, I think that both Bucky and Elliott got Invisalign for their teeth - they look better.

I think Elliot is looking better all around. He's not painful to look at, anymore. Nor does he look Amish.

Elite Member

I really like Elliott's voice. It's really good. He's not really that handsome, but he looks like a humble, solid kid. I think he'll be around a few more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    Well, her unashamed love for Christ totally endears her to me. It was courageous for her to be so open with it these days. Heck, I'm anonymous on this board & was afraid for the longest of being treated with derision & contempt for my beliefs, but finally realized that it's cowardly & shameful to hide them. Mandisa actually inspired me to put "Jesus Freak" under my name!

I love Mandisa as a performer, too, and would have rather parted with Bucky. She is undeniably a big girl, but also undeniably beautiful & sexy, and carries herself extremely well, so I'm sure she's an inspiration to many.
    I can see her doing Christian CD's, she has a good foundation and a positive outlook. I agree with you on its courageous for her to be open and not ashamed. I dont hide the fact Im Christian to anyone, I just havent had anyone bring it up to me on here and I know when not to post a comment.
    Lobelia you arent the only Jesus Freak on this board

I just found out that Mandisa got kicked off. WTF? AND BUCKY IS STILL ON?!! Yeah, I think I may be officially over Idol. I mean, I haven't even voted since Season 2 anyway, back when votes really "mattered," back when it actually was a talent competition. Now it's just a goddamn popularity contest.

This is the most boring season yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    Before she sang her song (not the video clip, she was on the stage), she said "This song goes out to everybody that wants to be free. Your addiction, lifestyle, and situation may be big, but God is bigger". Now, OK. The thing is, think about your audience. American Idol is the type of show that attracts probably a large amount of not-heterosexual viewers, and that tends to be deemed a "lifestyle choice". What that translates to that audience is "God can cure you of being gay" (not just my own translation, I've read it in multiple places online, plus I'm active in the LGBT/Allies community oncampus and that was their take on it too). I can definitely see that being an alienating factor.
    I COMPLETELY disagree!! Gay people aren't the only ones that can be labeled with having some kind of "lifestyle" (although I still submit there is NO such thing as a gay "lifestyle"). There are so many different kinds of lifestyles that I can't even begin to name them here.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I just had to speak my mind, because I absolutely DO NOT like when words are put in people's mouths and assumptions are made. Now, if it turns out that you're right, if Mandisa says she believes that gays can be cured of homosexuality, THEN I'll be right there with you and anybody else who chooses to protest the absolute naive bullshit of such an idea.

She did an interview with The Advocate yesterday. She said that she was talking about a lifestyle of indulgence, fine, I'll admit when I'm wrong about her intentions. I'm just talking the interpretation by people I know that are gay that heard it. They were pretty offended by it. Word choice is everything and to that community that particular word has some negative connotations.

She also said she doesn't agree with being gay and would not perform at any kind of gay function.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    She did an interview with The Advocate yesterday. She said that she was talking about a lifestyle of indulgence, fine, I'll admit when I'm wrong about her intentions. I'm just talking the interpretation by people I know that are gay that heard it. They were pretty offended by it. Word choice is everything and to that community that particular word has some negative connotations.

She also said she doesn't agree with being gay and would not perform at any kind of gay function.
    See, that's exactly what I'm talking about! GAWD! And, I'm sorry, but "that community" needs to point the finger at itself. Weren't homosexuals the ones that started this whole "lifestyle" business in the first place? Didn't THEY deem it a "lifestyle" back in the 80s? I could be wrong, but I believe they did. And now they're upset when the word is used? I swear, sometimes I just want to punch uptight, faggoty queens square in the jaw. Thank God I don't know any.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo
    Gay people aren't the only ones that can be labeled with having some kind of "lifestyle"
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who squawked about that. I got genuinely testy about it! It's kind of narcissistic to hear a word being used and assume it's about yourself. Also, get rid of the victim mentality & stop looking for attacks where there are none.

I can certainly understand the g & l communities wishing for clarification of what Mandisa said. Hopefully, we've come a long way from the days when people heard the word "homosexual" and automatically assumed "child molester" or "pervert." If ever a group of people could understand the injustice of stereotyping, it would be homosexuals. I would hope that they would rise above the hate of their oppressors, and not make the same mistakes.

SammysMom, thanks for the support.

Whatever happens on Idol, I hope Mandisa is a success. She really is a good performer.

Warning: Song spoilers for tonight

From USA Today:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-04-10-idol-queen-songs_x.htm

Ace Young, We Will Rock You: "I urbanized the verses a little, just by riding on (the notes). I put a little R&B soul on it. When we were done, they said, 'That sounds like a record.' "

Bucky Covington, Fat Bottomed Girls: "Yes, we all love the fat-bottomed girls."

Chris Daughtry, Innuendo: "It's a relatively unknown song. It just had a mixture of a dark feel and a positive message. And I just found out they've never performed this live."

Elliott Yamin, Somebody to Love: "I was drawn to the passionate emotion of the song. I heard a lot of soul in it."

Katharine McPhee, Who Wants to Live Forever: "How could (this) not be fun? We're working with so many different legends."

Kellie Pickler, Bohemian Rhapsody: "We only have 1 minute and 30 seconds, and the song is really long. Having to cut so many pieces is really hard to memorize, because I'm not singing the song as it's originally played."

Paris Bennett, The Show Must Go On: "Being with the band was a big experience to me, never being with a rock band before. I was able to pick a song that fits me, that's still rocky."

Taylor Hicks, Crazy Little Thing Called Love: "You listen to a Queen song, it's really melodic and very powerful, and the dynamics (are) really cool."

And the Queen site: http://hollywoodrecords.go.com/Queen/americanidol/

Bohemian Rhapsody | Kellie Pickler
    Fat Bottom Girls | Bucky Covington
    We Will Rock You | Ace Young
    We Are The Champions | Taylor Hicks
    The Show Must Go On | Paris Bennett
    Don't Stop Me Now | Katharine McPhee
    Innuendo | Chris Daughtry
    Somebody To Love | Elliot Yamin

So obviously Katharine and Taylor's songs are different on those. Not sure which I believe. Kellie singing Bohemian Rhapsody: kill me now. I'll be muting that.

Oh my lord, Bohemian Rhapsody?! No, no, no! Kellie cannot do that song, it can't possibly be chopped to a minute and a half. Plus, she sucks!

Thread Information