Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol - Season 5

Default Re: American Idol - Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by western
    Doesn't she have some sort of rare ailment? Something was mentioned in an interview she did a year or so ago. It could have a huge effect on her behaviour, especially if she's on medication and it's a degenerative disease.
    She has RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy). It doesn't cause you to act like she does. My mom has the same thing. When my mom heard about it her response was pretty much OK, so she has chronic pain, that doesn't explain a whole lot about her actions unless she's self medicating with drugs or alcohol. Most of the effects RSD has on behavior are causing things like depression and memory problems.

Quote Originally Posted by vballchica134
    Regarding Chris - That's dumb, you're not supposed to change the song, YOU are supposed to conform to each song/genre. Plus I totally hated his rendition of the song, so he was just bad for me tonight.
    Who says you're not supposed to change the song? He's showing that he's not only a damn good singer, but he's creative as hell.

Randy, Paula, and Simon are always talking about "you need to make the song your own" ...... well, Chris does that. The other contestants would LOVE to be that creative!

By the way .... with my Cingular Wireless Phone , I text messaged "A" to 8008 and downloaded Chris' version from last night as a ringtone on my cell phone. Hot as hell!

Mandisa was great! Katharine was good. I love Taylor, but he disappointed me last night.

Last season she came forward with the RSD, saying she was so hyper/happy because she was pain-free, because she had finally found a drug (Enbrel) that worked for her.

But even as a fan, I know that her admitting to having RSD was just to stop the drunk/drugged rumors. She would never come forward with that if she didn't have to (I still think the producers forced her to, said you better come up with something so you and the show don't go down the drain).

I don't doubt that she has RSD. She's had 13 back surgeries, and that's pretty much why she had to take so much time off from her career before Idol.

RSD could explain some of it but not all of it. I don't know what's up with her.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_perfect
    ^ Exactly. There's no rule that says you can't change the song. What Chris does, which is smart, is take songs and make them sound relevant today. Most of the other songs, sure, the voices are fine, but if I heard them on the radio I would turn it off.
    That's exactly what I think.

And realistically, today's pop stars do NOT sing 50's music, or Stevie Wonder music, or any of this thematic music. I think the real trick for a contestant is to take the challenge of the music genre given for the night & make it fresh & appealling and likeable for the modern audience. If they didn't have the themes, the contestants would likely perform within a very narrow range of musical genres, & stick with what they do best. That would drastically reduce the challenge for the contestants, and make it more boring for the audience.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

The thing about Chris is that everyone keeps saying he's so original. His Stevie Wonder song was a good version of the Red Hot Chili Peppers cover. I just found out today while I was reading on TWoP that Live (one of Chris's favorite bands and inspirations) covered Walk the Line and the vocal line is very similar to the one Chris did last night. I loved him, I still think he's hot, but he's just not nearly as original or creative as they keep telling us/him he is. He's just bending the rules by finding songs that have been covered by rock bands and singing the rock version not his OWN version. This pattern will keep going til the end too, there are no shortage of songs from just about any genre that has had a rock cover made of it.

I knew about the RHCP cover, but not the other. Still, that option is open to the others, as well. I don't think he's bending the rules at all, just playing it smart. I mean, look at poor Bucky out there hollering Buddy Holly crap. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    This pattern will keep going til the end too, there are no shortage of songs from just about any genre that has had a rock cover made of it.
    There is even a rock cover of Paula's "Straight Up," LOL.

If they didn't have the themes, the contestants would likely perform within a very narrow range of musical genres, & stick with what they do best. That would drastically reduce the challenge for the contestants, and make it more boring for the audience.
    How is that not what Chris is doing? He's staying within HIS genre, rock. So it's not any different ... might as well get rid of the themes if they're going to allow people to stay within their comfort zone each week.

It was a stressful night inside the studio at "American Idol" last night.

Here's the drama that viewers didn't see. Eight minutes before airtime, Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell do their usual walk out to the stage to the cheers of the studio audience. Three minutes to showtime, still no Paula Abdul. Two minutes to showtime, producers call for props to remove Paula's chair. Audience members scream out to Simon to find out what happened to Paula, he just throws his hands up like he is as clueless as everyone else. 30 seconds to showtime, producers call for props to put the chair back in. Ten seconds to showtime, in comes Paula. She literally sat down in her chair on one! Lights go up, camera goes up and viewers have no clue how down to the wire it came.

So, what happened to Paula? I have no idea, but she did seem very tired last night. Her eyes were half closed the whole show.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/ameri...83/detail.html

How is that not what Chris is doing? He's staying within HIS genre, rock. So it's not any different ... might as well get rid of the themes if they're going to allow people to stay within their comfort zone each week.
    I think he's successfully infusing his personal style into the genre. He's not the first to do this, people! Take the crooners during the last couple of years of the show, for example. They tried to mangle every song into a Harry Connick, Jr. or Frank Sinatra-type song, and it usually sounded ridiculous. No one complained, because it was obvious they weren't going to win. There have been R&B types who tried to change every song into R&B; sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Same for country singers. Kelly Pickler managed to make Stevie Wonder's song sound country the other night, for pete's sake, and no one bitched about that, probably because she sounded like shit. Chris has just been successful at this so far, and his style involves a lot of loud music & flash, so it gets attention. It's not over, though, and he may flop on an attempt or two before it's over.

It's a rare contestant who can wow the audience in more than one type of music. What comes to mind for me is Carrie Underwood singing Heart's "Alone" last year. It was great, and unexpected because she usually sounded country. Look at little Paris, she can do a wide range of styles. Maybe Chris isn't as adaptable (we don't know for sure yet).

If I had the choice of A) singing a song & sounding like an idiot because I don't do that style well, or B) putting my own style into the song so that I did NOT sound like an idiot, well, it's a no-brainer.

Bye Kevin! Finally, someone that I thought deserved to go went.

Yep, I won't miss Kevin much. He'll still get to tour with all of them, too.

I can see him doing Broadway. Lisa's face was priceless.

Silver Member

I just can't believe a guy like Bucky hasn't been asked to leave yet. That little guy Kevin that just got voted off was 11 kabillion times better than Bucky. Bucky looks like a crack addict and sings like a third grade dropout. Is the voting audience mostly from lower socio-economic backgrounds? I feel very strongly about this. Do you think he is still there to keep the curve? Do they always keep a loser around just to make the others look like frickin' professionals? Someone enlighten me.

Bucky sounds like most country artists today. Maybe you're not a fan of country ... ? He isn't that bad of a singer, he just doesn't connect well with the audience. But he isn't horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    ^^^But Simon even applauded Chris' refusal to conform, and he consistently criticizes karaoke (i.e., identical) versions of songs. I think it's a sign of a true artist to make a song their own.
    Well said! Now, before I go back to reading the thread, I have one more thing to say: Paula is a sufferer of chronic pain. I believe she's been thru a pill addiction because of it. So, it ain't coke that's making her look/act weird. (that's not the way cokeheads look and act, btw) If anything, it's booze or pills.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming...

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information