Page 111 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1841
Like Tree992Likes

Thread: AMC's The Walking Dead

No way the show is going to make everyone happy. Glen's death is almost frame by frame the way it was in the comics so I'm sure those fans are happy with it.

With the Daryl thing maybe him being captured will make way for Carl to try and rescue him and therefore end up with sort of the same story he had in the comics.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    I think Darryl is replacing comic book Carl. Which IDK how I feel abot that.
    I hadn't thought of that. Hmm, interesting.

Elite Member

Now that I've had two days to think about Sunday's episode the more I'm hating it. As much as I adore JDM, I don't think I can handle the character. Will someone explain to me why Neegan killed Glenn? Beside the first outburst, why? Did I miss something Glenn did? The hit came out of nowhere. I haven't watched it a second time. I don't want to.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

i may be the minority but i will miss abe more. he sure as hell took it like a man and the suck my nuts was just awesome. i feel that rick will always be the wishy washy leader. maybe if abe or darryl were leading things would have been different. also in response to the look on ricks face, well you cant blame him. rick is the only man with resting bitch face. while guys have asshole face rick has bitch face.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    Now that I've had two days to think about Sunday's episode the more I'm hating it. As much as I adore JDM, I don't think I can handle the character. Will someone explain to me why Neegan killed Glenn? Beside the first outburst, why? Did I miss something Glenn did? The hit came out of nowhere. I haven't watched it a second time. I don't want to.

Honestly - I think that Negan's swings were completely calculated. The Saviors were probably (most definitely) watching Alexandria. I'm willing to bet that Alexandria has been being watched by the Saviors as soon as they started intermingling with the Hilltop folk. I think it would've been pretty easy to figure out who the top people were, who the strongest were.

Abraham showed his strength and defiance the second he got on his knees in front of Negan and right up to the very end. Abraham was definitely the top muscle dog in the group.

Glenn was the strongest glue in that group, I mean - he chased after Enid, who would want to do that?? He was also kind of like Switzerland - very neutral - at any point in any of the seasons you might be able to find where so and so had disdain for whoever in the group, but did anyone ever have disdain for Glenn? I think it would've been easily picked up on the impact that Glenn had on that group, making him an easy target.

Anyway - my thoughts on the episode.

I thought it was well done. (highlight) I definitely fell in the camp of, "ok Abraham is dead and that sucks but that'll be it" and was totally shocked to see Glenn go down. I cried through the whole episode. I cried during TTD. I did think that the RV scene was a little drawn out, but that's pretty typical of TWD. 30 minutes of nothing, 10 minutes of story progression.

I'm SUPER stoked to see this Ezekiel character and to check out The Kingdom. I've only read the first few comics so I don't know much about it other than he seems pretty badass with his tiger. I hope we don't have to wait too long to get our intro to that storyline.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    Glenn was truly a random choice. Negan was sending a message that it would never be acceptable to lay hands on him, and I think that message has been fully absorbed. The whole group knew they were skating on thin ice because Negan had warned them of what would happen if they even made a peep when he killed the first person.

The more interesting issue to me is that Negan would let any of them live in the first place. Rick's group established itself as very alpha just by knocking off a bunch of Negan's people in the first place and doing it in very resourceful ways. Rick's people should have been seen as a group that would never take orders (long-term) from another group.

Negan's show of having Rick choose not to lop Carl's limb was done in order to show that Rick didn't have his team's back. However, what I think it actually showed was that Rick's team operates and is bonded with a complete different mentality than Negan's which is through fear and with a sociopathic, authoritarian leader.
    Alysheba and LastLook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Glenn was truly a random choice. Negan was sending a message that it would never be acceptable to lay hands on him, and I think that message has been fully absorbed. The whole group knew they were skating on thin ice because Negan had warned them of what would happen if they even made a peep when he killed the first person.

The more interesting issue to me is that Negan would let any of them live in the first place. Rick's group established itself as very alpha just by knocking off a bunch of Negan's people in the first place and doing it in very resourceful ways. Rick's people should have been seen as a group that would never take orders (long-term) from another group.

Negan's show of having Rick choose not to lop Carl's limb was done in order to show that Rick didn't have his team's back. However, what I think it actually showed was that Rick's team operates and is bonded with a complete different mentality than Negan's which is through fear and with a sociopathic, authoritarian leader.
    Negan wouldn't kill off the whole crew because he needs them - post apocalyptic slavery at its finest! You can't get all the food and resources you need if you just kill off every person that crosses you.

Furthermore Negan himself said at one point something about keeping Rick alive just so he can relish in the fact that he (Negan) killed off everyone he cares about. Maybe Negan doesn't really care about slave labor but instead has sadistic plans to knock them out one by one to watch Rick break.

In the comics, Glenn was totally random and the only kill. They killed Abraham to be more shocking and to give him a more honorable death than an arrow through the eye. If we had been following Negan's band from the beginning and Rick group was new and we watched them kill all of our people, in their sleep, we would probably have a totally different view of Negan right now.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    Negan wouldn't kill off the whole crew because he needs them - post apocalyptic slavery at its finest! You can't get all the food and resources you need if you just kill off every person that crosses you.

Furthermore Negan himself said at one point something about keeping Rick alive just so he can relish in the fact that he (Negan) killed off everyone he cares about. Maybe Negan doesn't really care about slave labor but instead has sadistic plans to knock them out one by one to watch Rick break.
    I only saw the comic Negan once, but it seemed to be one of the few Walking Dead comic characters who actually physically resembled the person cast in the show. Unlike his followers, he seems almost impeccably groomed. Nice, apocalyptic general clothes. Very charismatic and expressive bearing. To that extent, he reminds me a lot of The Governor. Except, he doesn't make any pretense of being humane or fair. The only reason Rick's group might bend to the will of this guy is because he has one or more of them as a hostage (I think he has Carl in the comics) and they know that if they run off or rebel it means certain death for the hostage.

Historically, there is a good precedent for that. Even Vlade (Dracula) Tepes grew up with a brother (Radu) who was basically a hostage raised in the court of the Ottoman ruler. Basically to ensure that Tepes' father, the Prince of Wallachia, would stay loyal.

Hey, did anyone who watches "Westworld" notice that the guy who played Negan's right-hand man Simon is also a regular in "Westworld"?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I only saw the comic Negan once, but it seemed to be one of the few Walking Dead comic characters who actually physically resembled the person cast in the show. Unlike his followers, he seems almost impeccably groomed. Nice, apocalyptic general clothes. Very charismatic and expressive bearing. To that extent, he reminds me a lot of The Governor. Except, he doesn't make any pretense of being humane or fair. The only reason Rick's group might bend to the will of this guy is because he has one or more of them as a hostage (I think he has Carl in the comics) and they know that if they run off or rebel it means certain death for the hostage.

Historically, there is a good precedent for that. Even Vlade (Dracula) Tepes grew up with a brother (Radu) who was basically a hostage raised in the court of the Ottoman ruler. Basically to ensure that Tepes' father, the Prince of Wallachia, would stay loyal.

Hey, did anyone who watches "Westworld" notice that the guy who played Negan's right-hand man Simon is also a regular in "Westworld"?

Well he does have Darryl in his company right now - which is another big loss for that group (and despite the general consensus I think that too was calculated), but I think there's something to be said about human nature and the general desire to survive. Negan's crew outnumbers Rick's by at least double if not more. It seems to me like it'd be pretty silly to walk away alive after watching your two comrades get their skulls bashed in just to fledge full on war.

I don't particularly care for comparing the comics to the television show, but I definitely agree with gas_chick in that if we'd been following Negan this whole time our feelings may be a little different. Rick has done just as brutal acts (let's not forget the throat incident) to protect his people.

If you are a reader of the books, then you know that Negan is actually the least sociopathic of the villains seen so far (of those from the books that have appeared on TV). He doesn't enjoy killing, and he abhors sexual violence. He lacks empathy, but he can be quite compassionate and sympathetic. He's very interesting.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Plus he is being played by JDM. I can watch that man read from the phone book.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    If you are a reader of the books, then you know that Negan is actually the least sociopathic of the villains seen so far (of those from the books that have appeared on TV). He doesn't enjoy killing, and he abhors sexual violence. He lacks empathy, but he can be quite compassionate and sympathetic. He's very interesting.
    This times a million.

The Violence of the Walking Dead Premiere Was So Gruesome That It Was Edited Out for U.K. Viewers

The Walking Dead has never claimed to be a feel-good show. But Sunday’s premiere brought the ever-present undercurrent of violence and despair to the surface in a way that felt particularly egregious, as Sam Adams pointed out in Slate. In the days since the premiere, the internet has been flooded with condemnations (the violence!) and defensive protestations (it’s exactly as it happened in the comic!), but one simple fact remains: The episode did exactly what AMC wanted it to do, and shattered ratings expectations once again. That being said, not everybody felt that the gruesome violence was warranted in this case. And one of those dissenters was Fox U.K., which decided not to air the most graphic chunk of the episode at all.

But let’s start at the beginning. The Walking Dead ended on a massive cliffhanger last season in which a new bad guy—Negan, played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan—was threatening to kill one of the members of the core cast. After leaving the audience to a summer of speculation, the season opener offered more of the same sort of drawn-out tension about who was going to die, which (spoiler alert) wound up being two key survivors, Abraham and Glenn. Glenn’s death, however, was excruciatingly violent: He was repeatedly beat over the head with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire in front of his pregnant wife and was left with an eyeball drooping out of his head as he uttered his last words. Putting aside the fact that he was a fan favorite and someone who had escaped harm several times prior to his death, it was an incredibly difficult scene to witness. But it was also a frame-for-frame delivery of what took place in issue No. 100 of the comic, so it wasn’t just something fabricated by the show’s creators for shock value—it was an integral part of what went down in the original plot.

And yet: Fox U.K. aired the episode on Monday night, but as DigitalSpy reportedthis week, the original broadcast “cuts down on the number of times Negan can be seen bashing both Abraham and Glenn’s heads, while particularly gruesome shots of Glenn’s face and body on the floor also weren’t shown.” The program aired at 9 p.m. on Fox U.K., which by definition is part of the watershed, which means that graphic content can be shown without edits and censoring according to the U.K.’s governing regulatory body, Ofcom. Fox told DigitalSpythat the rationale behind the decision was based on adhering to broadcasting standards set by Ofcom, but what wasn’t in the statement is the fact that they’d be subject to fines from the group had they gone ahead with airing the show as it was.

It’s not uncommon for a show to have a scene or two pulled from a pre-watershed airing—Fox U.K. did air the show, unedited, in later slots—but it’s notable to have a broadcaster be concerned they might not be complying with regulatory guidelines in a season premiere. We’re a country that has a long, rich history of denying swear words and nudity in its prime-time programming, and so it’s quite a surprise that we’re now creating content that is too violent for other countries to air in full.

The violence of the Walking Dead premiere was so shockingly gruesome that it was edited out for U.K. viewers.

Alysheba likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I still remember when "American Werewolf in London", which I had to actually sneak into to see, was banned in the place it was filmed (Britain) because of their video-nasties rules.
    LastLook likes this.

Thread Information