Thread: Where The Wild Things Are

Default Where The Wild Things Are

These are the first pictures from the hugely-anticipated adaptation of children's classic Where The Wild Things Are.
    The film, which features magical creatures roaming a mythical wonderland, has been adapted from Maurice Sendak's 1963 picture book - which is just ten lines long.
    Due out this autumn, the movie follows the adventures of Max, a young boy punished for being mischievous and playing around in a wolf costume.

Where The Wild Things Are follows Max, played by schoolboy Max Records (above with director Spike Jonze) who creates an imaginary world and meets frightening mythical beasts who he comes to love

Sent to bed without supper, his angry mother calls him a 'wild thing' and Max is so cross he shouts back, 'I'll eat you up!'
    Once in his room, a mysterious, wild forest grows in his imagination and Max journeys to the land of the Wild Things.
    But although they are fearsome-looking, he conquers the beasts by 'staring into their eyes without blinking once' and he becomes the King of the Wild Things.
    Max soon gets homesick and returns home to his bedroom, where his supper is waiting for him after all.

The monsters were created with a mixture of costumes and CGI

The film, directed by Being John Malkovich's Spike Jonze, features a mixture of CGI, costumes, animatronics and live action.
    The Sopranos actor James Gandolfini lends his voice for the horned, cat-like monster called Carol, who teaches him about love.
    Last King Of Scotland actor Forest Whitaker is the voice of Ira, Catherine O'Hara, who has starred in Beetlejuice and Home Alone, is rhino-horned Judith and Paul Dano, of There Will Be Blood, is the goat-like Alexander.
    Max is played by American schoolboy Max Records, 11, from Portland, Oregon.

Max Records, 11, plays the role of Max, who becomes King of the Wild Things

The book delighted many children when it was first published but it terrified others. The film could have the same impact.
    The making of the movie has been dogged by rumours that it was too dark and frightening, and reports that parts had to be re-filmed.
    Much of the footage was shot in Melbourne, Australia, where filming began in late 2006, but fans have been hanging on for a glimpse since 2000 when it was first announced a film adaptation would be made by Universal Pictures.

The book terrified some children but delighted many more

Filming started in late 2006 and mostly took place in Australia

Director Spike Jonze later fell out with the studio and took the movie to Warner Bros.
    Filming started in 2006 but in July 2008, Warner Bros chief Alan Horn said they had given director Spike Jonze more time and money.
    'We’d like to find a common ground that represents Spike’s vision but still offers a film that really delivers for a broad-based audience… The jury is still out on this one.
    'But we remain confident that Spike is going to figure things out and at the end of the day we’ll have an artistically compelling movie.'

Max Records from Portland in the U.S. stars as the imaginative young Max

The film has been created out of just ten lines from the original book

The original book by Maurice Sendak was published in 1963 and has won numerous awards

Sneak peak of the monster movie adapted from beloved children's book Where The Wild Things Are | Mail Online

I'll pass.

Granted everyone involved, I definitely think whether or not it's good or bad, it's definitely going to be bizarre.

I'm just going to wait and see. It was my fave when I was little and my kids all love(d) it, so I have my reservations, but it looks...interesting
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I loved this book when I was a child.

Elite Member

I really wish they hadn't done this. Some books should really be left alone.

Edited to say: I think most books, especially children's picture books, should really be left alone. These things rarely end well (think live-action versions of Dr. Seuss books, for example)

[youtube]--N9klJXbjQ[/youtube]
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

I'm absolutely astounded that it looks like most of the costumes look 'real' and not CGI though it says it has a mix of CGI in it.

Sooo sick of overused CGI that this alone makes it look refreshing.

Elite Member

Just watched the trailer. Really, really wished they had just left this precious book alone.

WTWTA was filmed in my hometown of Melbourne several years ago, whith a lot of the cast and crew having to use Ms Soths Childcare Centre for their kiddies. I can tell you that although the film was mainly a abortion of a shoot to work on - script difficulties mainly, and voices and CGI emotion to be done in post, along with a notoriously nutty but gifted Director - the crew wanted to lynch Spike Jonz by the end of principal photography.

That said however Ive heard that one of the big delays in it being bought to the screen is that the studio considered the movie "too dark" for adolescents or young uns (Dark knight anyone) - Spike has held out on the footage - re edited it verry slightly and apparently from my sources it could be one of the biggest and surprising childrens movies in years.

The kid who plays Max - WOW

BTW Celeb - Jim Hensons (The muppets / Sessame St) company did the Monster "costumes" - I saw one of them on set even without the CGI add ons - It was increadible
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such — I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I'm absolutely astounded that it looks like most of the costumes look 'real' and not CGI though it says it has a mix of CGI in it.

Sooo sick of overused CGI that this alone makes it look refreshing.
    My thoughts exactly! I was convinced it was Jim Hensen's shop at work, I'm really surprised. I'm hoping that it'll be ok for my son, he'll be 6 in August and he thought I was ridiculous for trying to cover his eyes during the latest Indiana Jones movie. I'm thinking we'll probably be good, lol.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Thread Information