Thread: How are talk shows booked?

Default How are talk shows booked?

I don't mean the trashy ones, because they have little blurbs that say "Is your girlfriend cheating on you with her father? Call us!" or something, but the slightly more reputable ones. I know that guests have PR people who do deals with the bookers so the guests can promote stuff, but Oprah invites people on, right? And if they have spots to fill the bookers would call PR people? I always wonder about how these things work and Google doesn't always help me. Anyone know?

Oprah invites people on, and then asks you to pay for the privilege of appearing. My mom was invited on the show years ago because she runs a unique business and has gotten some other media coverage. She declined because it was a lot of money she was asking for and while it would have been big publicity, she was still a new business. Looking back she says she doesn't regret it because she's had multiple other shows and publications feature her and wasn't asked to pay for her participation in them.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Oprah invites people on, and then asks you to pay for the privilege of appearing. My mom was invited on the show years ago because she runs a unique business and has gotten some other media coverage. She declined because it was a lot of money she was asking for and while it would have been big publicity, she was still a new business. Looking back she says she doesn't regret it because she's had multiple other shows and publications feature her and wasn't asked to pay for her participation in them.
    OMG, what??!??! Are you talking about an actual FEE to appear on the show, or is it that they did not pay for airfare and hotel accomodations?

Nope, we live near Chicago so there is no airfare or hotel involved. That was a FEE to appear on the show-to the tune of a couple thousand dollars, if I remember correctly. It was really shady too b/c she had been in touch with the Oprah booking people for awhile, no talk of having to pay, then all of a sudden when they were setting a date they kind of just threw it out there like "oh, just this small thing, we charge ____ for an appearance".

What?! That is insane, especially since other talk shows usually pay the guests to come on. I guess Oprah figures that since she's probably generating business for her guests that she needs a cut. Not that that makes it okay, especially when it's thousands of dollars. I bet she doesn't make Tom Cruise pay.

Hit By Ban Bus!

not to meontion the fact that oprah is worth like a billion dollars...what a tight ass!!

I guess that's the kind of tactic that helped her be worth a billion dollars.

Thread Information