Thread: Brooke Smith axed from Greys Anatomy... no more Callie and Erica

Default Brooke Smith axed from Greys Anatomy... no more Callie and Erica

Smith Axed From Grey's Anatomy

4 November 2008 4:22 AM, PST
    Grey's Anatomy star Brooke Smith has been axed from the hit U.S. drama, putting an end to the show's first major lesbian plotline.
    Smith plays cardiac doctor Erica Hahn, who is romantically involved with Sara Ramirez's character Dr Calliope 'Callie' Torres.
    But Smith was stunned to learn their on-screen relationship would come to an end after learning of the producers' decision.
    Smith tells Entertainment Weekly, "I was very excited when they told me that Erica and Callie were going to have this relationship. And I really hoped we were going to show what happens when two women fall in love and that they were going to treat it like any heterosexual couple on TV.
    "And so I was surprised and disappointed when they just suddenly told me that they couldn't write for my character anymore."
    But series creator and executive producer Shonda Rhimes is adamant the decision is unrelated to the sexual orientation of Smith's character.
    A statement released by Rhimes reads: "Brooke Smith was obviously not fired for playing a lesbian. Clearly it's not an issue as we have a lesbian character on the show - Calliope Torres. Sara Ramirez is an incredible comedic and dramatic actress and we wanted to be able to play up her magic.
    "Unfortunately, we did not find that the magic and chemistry with Brooke's character would sustain in the long run. The impact of the Callie/Erica relationship will be felt and played out in a story for Callie. I believe it belittles the relationship to simply replace Erica with 'another lesbian'."
    Smith's final appearance is due to air in the U.S. later this month.

News from WENN
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Her character annoyed me anyway. No big loss.

I would like to see them come up with someone good for McSteamy, tho. Give him something to do.

I agree completely. I think the lesbian subplot was a bit contrived, anyway. It felt so forced. The verbal diarrhea that Hahn had in the last episode about her "revelation" was so uncomfortable to watch. I have always wanted Callie to end up with Mark anyway, they DO have chemistry and I love their friendship. I still miss Burke, so whatever.

The lesbian thing was the first interesting thing Dr. Hahn did, otherwise, she was just a stright up unlikeable bitch. Callie has better things to do.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yeah, I never got why Callie was attracted to her in the first place. She was ugly and miserable. I wanted to see Callie hit the jackpot after George cheated on her.

Hahn was really starting to creep me out

Her problem was, she came on and tried to outbitch Yang, but she doesn't have the charm to pull it off and remain likeable. She's just pathetic.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I stopped watching Grey's after that ridiculous episode where Meredith "died," so I'm really out of the loop.

Callie, a lesbian?? This show has become such a soap opera.

Yeah, it was a stretch. Although they aren't outing her as a lesbian, she's having problems identifying her "sexuality". She's obviously bi. Hahn came out and said that basically, Callie turned her gay, which freaked Callie out. She slept with Mark, and she said the sex was just as good with him as it was with Erica. The thing is, Erica is just an ugly person, inside and out. Its weird that the writers decided to go in that direction, not because of the lesbian match, but because there was zero chemistry between the actors! I would say this ranked up there in second place writing errors (the first being the horrific match up of Izzie and George, ewww).

She was ugly, and the story line was ridiculous. It's like they were desperate for a new story line.

Plus that chick had jacked up bottom teeth. I don't know why I kept focusing on that, but every time she would talk, that's all I would see.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Callie is NOT a lesbian. just NOT. maybe if they had a different person be Erica's lover it might have worked. it took me some time, but i actually started liking Erica. i hate the way they are ending it, like they arent acknowledging the audience's feelings
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information