Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Chef Season 5

Default Top Chef Season 5

Top Chef' Season 5 News: 17 More Cheftestants, No Ted Allen

November 12th is the big day. Seventeen new cheftestants—from all over the world and with exotic-sounding names like Fabio and Hosea—will compete on New York turf. Padma, Tom, and Gail will all be back, but in Ted Allen's place comes British journalist and author Toby Young.

The show sounds like a party. Expect cameos from: Martha Stewart, the Foo Fighters, Jean-Georges, Eric Ripert, Rocco DiSpirito, Wylie Dufresne, Jean-Christophe Novelli, and Natasha Richardson.

Check out the list of cheftestants HERE

Sweet I love this show. Makes me want to learn to cook.

I love Top Chef! I can't wait. Not sure why they have the Foo Fighters on there, but I am soooo looking forward to the new season.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I love this show, I always feel like cooking after I watch it.
    Fabulous!

I'm always starving afterwards.

Yea it's back!!! I just have to post 3 things before I go off to work where GR is blocked:

1. My vinaigrette is an emulsion

2. I learned to cook ethnic food from books and I'm surprised Padma, Tom and Jean Georges, who all have cookbooks, slammed the chef who said she would use one.

3. Hawaiian guy just had his signs mixed up. He was testing food in the deli and trying to replicate it.

I haven't seen it yet, but its on my DVR!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm about halfway through the episode. I think I'm going to like Stefan.

I was glad they started things off with a technical skills elimination challenge, that was a nice twist. I didn't mind who got sent home. I have to say though, I was getting pissed at that guy who was arguing with the other one over vinaigrette/emulsion. He was being such an ass and looking down his nose at the guy like he was better than him.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I finally watched it. I think I'm going to like Stephan and Rhadika, but its really too early to tell. I really liked the gay kid who got voted off, but if he had stayed there I think one of those chickenhawks would have destroyed him. Sweet little thing.

Now I want to go to NY for a week and eat in a different borough every day.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    I learned to cook ethnic food from books and I'm surprised Padma, Tom and Jean Georges, who all have cookbooks, slammed the chef who said she would use one.
    This put me off a little too. Maybe it was the editing, but if not, why in the world would they be so shocked a pro would consult a cook book? I mean, especially if your specialty is a specific style of cooking, and you decide to cook something else occasionally. What? You're supposed to go live in Little Italy and "experience" the food there so you can add osso buco to your menu, instead of just reading about how to do it?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

In her case, I would think so. A really good chef experiences as many different foods as they can, it goes to developing palate. The fact that she has never done so is extremely odd. And for her to say she would use cookbooks is exactly like a Project Runway contestant using a pattern book. Big faux pas on her part.

Good point. Didn't it seem like lots of them had pretty limited experience then? I guess I'm way more forgiving. I wouldn't think that a chef would need to be an expert on every type of food to be a great chef in their chosen specialty.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Elite Member

I'm so happy it's back! My early favorite is Eugene -- hope he doesn't turn into a jerk. Stefan reminds me of Richard for some reason.

I loved the quickfire. I knew as soon as that girl was making a salad she was done for...it's the kiss of death, especially when another chef is searing pork and making chutney!

Glad there are no fauxhawks this season.

Padma is gorgeous!!

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information