Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
Results 496 to 510 of 523

Thread: 82nd annual Academy Awards 03/07/2010

  1. #496
    Gold Member sharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Siberia
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    To me good example of an anti-war movie demonstrating an inability to reintegrate into society is the Deer Hunter.

    Reasons I think it is pro-American military (and therefore supports the war):

    1) Main character is a 007 at disarming bombs. >800 without a mishap? Is that realistic?

    2) Soldiers are portrayed as being quite decent and kind to the Iraquis. The true ugliness is never shown.

    3) Most of the Iraquis are portrayed as being dangerous.

    3) Main character is a Rambo maverick: tears off his headset, gives the finger when told to put it back on, doesn't listen to command. He's cool, confident, competent and always successful.

    4) Main character very friendly and compassionate to Iraqui DVD boy. Risks his own life several times for deep principles relating to the boy: Disarms booby-trapped corpse instead of detonation, hijacks seller to find boy's parents, threatens people in house to find perpetrators, makes it back safely to the green zone through dangerous obstacles (Iraquis). Again, another success.

    5) He did falter when he went hero in the end to find bombers and his friend was captured. Also shot his friend in his attempt to free him from the Iraqui captors. But, he did free his friend. Another monumental success.

    This may have been a movie to show addiction to war, but it came across (to me) as telling the story of a true bad-ass soldier. Against all odds, he risks his life over and over, always winning. He completes a deadly mission, sits back and takes a smoke. He's awesome.

  2. #497
    Elite Member FashionVictim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,093

    Default

    To be honest, I only cared about the awards because of Jeff Bridges. Otherwise, it's a bunch of rich people dressed up and giving eachother awards.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

  3. #498
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,064

    Default

    i didn't get to watch the whole thing on tv last night so i dl'd it (yes, i'm a nerd). i'm at the tributes now and even if they forgot bea arthur, i am at least grateful they remembered the great eric rohmer. i thought for sure they would pass him by.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  4. #499
    Elite Member Sialia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    Holy crap, I can't believe that Kathryn Bigelow is 11 years OLDER than Suzy Amis and 3 years older than James Cameron. I want to know what her skin care regimen is, and if she's had any work done, it's freaking amazing.

    (Sorry, this has nothing to do with the current conversation...carry on).
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

  5. #500
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,064

    Default

    when peter sarsgaard introduced carey mulligan, he totally reminded me of john malkovich. i think it's the combination of the bald head and the voices which are a bit similar. and it made him even hotter.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  6. #501
    Elite Member Sialia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    *rubs hands together* Excellent, I've pulled us back to the shallow side. Mwahahahaha.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

  7. #502
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,064

    Default

    ^^^
    the oscars are mostly about the shallow.
    but at least i did something productive: i baked a pie while i was watching the awards. peach.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  8. #503
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,963

    Default

    I watched to see Christoph Waltz win!! Otherwise, I didn't really care for much else. I love Jeff Bridges, so I was glad that he won, but I haven't seen the movie. Inglorious Basterds is one of the two Quentin Tarantino movies that I like...actually, love!

  9. #504
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,064

    Default

    i also really, really wanted 'the white ribbon' to win best foreign film. that was one of my big disappointments of the night.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  10. #505
    Elite Member t13nif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes
    Posts
    3,524

    Default

    Every year i vow to watch all the nominated films in advance of the awards so i feel like i have an educated opinion.

    Nope, never do!
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

  11. #506
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    25,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I was so happy Cameron didn't win and that Avatar didn't win best picture. The movie looks like a giant piece of shit and I have no interest in watching it whatsoever. I will however be watching the Hurt Locker to see if it lives up to the hype. I would have been happy for Inglorious Basterds to win everything it was up for but I will settle for the wonderful Christof winning.
    I don't think Avatar was a piece of shit (even though James Cameron probably is). It was a great movie, I went with the family and I was entertained. But Oscar winner? No. Except for maybe the technical categories. To be honest I was a tad let down by Inglorious Basterds as a whole. But I do think the guy who won definitely deserved Best Supporting Actor. He stole that movie.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  12. #507
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,064

    Default

    i think waltz should have been nominated in the lead actor category. but then i guess he would have lost to jeff bridges, so in the end it's a good thing it was best supporting... 'inglourious basterds' was an ensemble piece but he was the real star.

    also, i was touched when the argentine director gave a shout-out to chile in his speech. even if i still think haneke should have won, it was sweet.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  13. #508
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Back of Beyond
    Posts
    11,082

    Default

    Cool Oscar photos:
    Oscars 2010: the 82nd Academy Awards in pictures





    James Cameron pretends to strangle his ex-wife, Kathryn Bigelow. She beat him to the best director Oscar
    Picture: AP
    Oscars 2010: the 82nd Academy Awards in pictures - Telegraph

  14. #509
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    support histiocytosis awareness
    Posts
    7,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    Holy crap, I can't believe that Kathryn Bigelow is 11 years OLDER than Suzy Amis and 3 years older than James Cameron. I want to know what her skin care regimen is, and if she's had any work done, it's freaking amazing.

    (Sorry, this has nothing to do with the current conversation...carry on).
    what?Kathryn is 11 years older, not younger?!!
    Suzy looks down right scary!

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    when peter sarsgaard introduced carey mulligan, he totally reminded me of john malkovich. i think it's the combination of the bald head and the voices which are a bit similar. and it made him even hotter.
    I so don't like Peter, he always looks like he's sucking lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    the oscars are mostly about the shallow.
    but at least i did something productive: i baked a pie while i was watching the awards. peach.
    of course


    I liked Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin as ying and yang - they were good together

  15. #510
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    To me good example of an anti-war movie demonstrating an inability to reintegrate into society is the Deer Hunter.

    Reasons I think it is pro-American military (and therefore supports the war):

    1) Main character is a 007 at disarming bombs. >800 without a mishap? Is that realistic?

    2) Soldiers are portrayed as being quite decent and kind to the Iraquis. The true ugliness is never shown.

    3) Most of the Iraquis are portrayed as being dangerous.

    3) Main character is a Rambo maverick: tears off his headset, gives the finger when told to put it back on, doesn't listen to command. He's cool, confident, competent and always successful.

    4) Main character very friendly and compassionate to Iraqui DVD boy. Risks his own life several times for deep principles relating to the boy: Disarms booby-trapped corpse instead of detonation, hijacks seller to find boy's parents, threatens people in house to find perpetrators, makes it back safely to the green zone through dangerous obstacles (Iraquis). Again, another success

    5) He did falter when he went hero in the end to find bombers and his friend was captured. Also shot his friend in his attempt to free him from the Iraqui captors. But, he did free his friend. Another monumental success

    This may have been a movie to show addiction to war, but it came across (to me) as telling the story of a true bad-ass soldier. Against all odds, he risks his life over and over, always winning. He completes a deadly mission, sits back and takes a smoke. He's awesome.

    I think all the non bomb related scenes where the characters showed the stress they were under put a completely different spin on the gung ho aspect of the main character.

    The Eldridge character breaking up in therapy over his not shooting the insurgent who killed Thompson and Sanborn fighting with James throughout the movie over James' recklessness show the opposite of of the bad ass soldier cliche. Eldridge rightfully blames James for getting him shot in the rescue - it's not really seen as a Rambo success as you imply above.

    I think those layers- and Sanborn's breakdown where he mentions wanting a son at the end and how he can no longer cope with pressure of EOD, and then how James cannot function at home are huge parts of the story. It seems we have two very different takes on the film.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 9th, 2010 at 09:58 AM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nominees for the 82nd Academy Awards
    By sputnik in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
  2. 80th annual Academy Awards 02/24/2008
    By Laurent in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: February 29th, 2008, 04:51 AM
  3. Ken Watanabe at the 79th annual Academy Awards (02/25/07)
    By DitaPage* in forum Photo Archive
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 10th, 2007, 09:51 PM
  4. Eva Green at the 79th annual Academy Awards (02/25/07)
    By sharon_b in forum Photo Archive
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •