Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 82nd annual Academy Awards 03/07/2010

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    As for best picture. Most people haven't seen The Hurt Locker, quite a few have seen Avatar several times...... the voting is still political.
    it's not about popularity or which one did better at the box office or how many people saw it, it's also about quality. i'm not saying there aren't politics at play in hollywood (of course there are) but avatar is not a good movie. it's pretty to look at but the story and acting suck. any one of the other 9 nominated movies was better because they worked better as a whole - story, acting and visuals.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

As for best picture. Most people haven't seen The Hurt Locker, quite a few have seen Avatar several times...... the voting is still political.
    So? The winners aren't chosen by the general public. It doesn't matter that Hurt Locker wasn't a huge commercial success or that more people have seen Avatar, the academy picks the winners. After seeing all the movies nominated, Avatar wasn't anywhere near the top of my personal list of movies that deserved best picture. They got the awards they deserved, the technical and artistic ones. It was pretty, but not a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    I think she looks like a better looking Elizabeth Hurley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    She reminded me of Rita Wilson... I think that's her name, anyway - Tom Hanks wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Catherine Keener.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaebs View Post
    I think she resembles Heidi Fleiss

ETA KB is wayy prettier of course
    Those are all awesome suggestions but Icepik wins it. I think it's Rita Wilson that she reminds me of.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

I thought all the awards were right. Especially Waltz. I haven't seen Bullock's performance. Did those of you who did think it was Oscar worthy? Or was it like she said in her speech, she finally wore them down? I saw Streep as Julia Child, she was excellent.

I was happy to see Jeff Bridges get an Oscar. He's such a great actor.

I thought she was good. The movie itself wasn't that fantastic, everyone I was with compared it to a Lifetime movie of the week and no one agreed it was best picture quality. Her performance may have seemed better because of the mediocre movie she was in, but I enjoyed it.

I think it's probably somewhat of a Julia Roberts situation though. She put in her time, she acted in some crap movies, came back and did some pretty good ones, and she got it. Besides, she was up against Meryl and Helen, who both have a few, and then Cary Mulligan and Gaby Sidibe who are both very young and have more than enough time. I think it was probably, at least a little bit, a "her time" kind of thing.

^^^^
    i like sandra but how is it 'her time' if she always makes the same shitty rom-coms or action movies? the blind side is the second time she's actually acted, the first time being 'crash' and that was a small role. i like sandra but i don't think she's worked hard enough to deserve this much praise. she's made a career out of playing the same character over and over again and then the one time she actually does something different, everyone shits themself and she gets an oscar?

the blind side looks like your typical oscar-bait lifetime-meets-erin-brockovich 'inspirational' movie based on a real story and that's supposed to be all about 'real' people...
    i hate that kind of crap.
    but i'll watch it because otherwise i can't really have a valid opinion on it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That's why I compared it to Julia Roberts, who had pretty much the exact same career. She made all those crappy romcoms, and then gave a few stabs at serious acting and won the award because she'd been around for a long time and hadn't done anything worth it in the past.

I liked Sandra Bullock's early career too, before she started the romantic comedies. She started off doing some normal roles too, but then Speed 2 happened. She's also had some real movies interwoven with the crap, but they were mostly ignored.

Sandra B reminded me of Julia Roberts too. Not in that she finally wore them down but in the similarities between her character in the Blind Side and Erin Brockovich. Both actresses had an awful accent and both seemed like they should be doing community theatre.

^ When the movie started with that voiceover in her horrible, thick southern accent my friend and I both, pretty audibly, said out loud "Oh gawd, seriously?", lol.

I agree that the voting is political, at times. But the movie that wins Best Picture isn't always the movie that most people saw. More often than not people will go see a crappy movie in droves and avoid really good movies.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    it's not about popularity or which one did better at the box office or how many people saw it, it's also about quality.
    if that was the case Shakespear in Love would have never beaten out Elizabeth. And Russell Crowe would have won for A Beautiful Mind instead of getting his hand slapped for pitching a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    So? The winners aren't chosen by the general public. It doesn't matter that Hurt Locker wasn't a huge commercial success or that more people have seen Avatar, the academy picks the winners. After seeing all the movies nominated, Avatar wasn't anywhere near the top of my personal list of movies that deserved best picture. They got the awards they deserved, the technical and artistic ones. It was pretty, but not a great movie.
    Thank you for telling me winners aren't chosen by the public

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    I thought all the awards were right. Especially Waltz. I haven't seen Bullock's performance. Did those of you who did think it was Oscar worthy? Or was it like she said in her speech, she finally wore them down? I saw Streep as Julia Child, she was excellent.

I was happy to see Jeff Bridges get an Oscar. He's such a great actor.
    Jeff should have gotten quite a few Oscars by now. In my opinion Sandra's name shouldn't be said in the same sentence as Julia Roberts who is a boil on the butt of mankind. Was Sandras accent dead on? No. Did you believe her character? Nah she was just lame old Sandra again. She can't act, but she's a nice person and the person who deserved the Oscar (Meryl), didn't mind Sandra winning.

I never really care all that much about the Oscars, but I did watch this year and thats saying something. No trio hype or Cruise/Katie hype, it was actually Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    ^ When the movie started with that voiceover in her horrible, thick southern accent my friend and I both, pretty audibly, said out loud "Oh gawd, seriously?", lol.
    The accent was pretty bad. Can't say about her acting as a whole in that movie cause I haven't seen it. But I'm thinking it probably should have been Meryl.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I think the Academy factors in what is artistic AND socially important at that time.

Hurt Locker supports our troops and the war in Iraq. So socially/politically it is more important than Avatar. But it is practically a war propaganda movie. Tom Hanks appears to be a big cheese at the Academy. He is very patriotic and has been involved in films that portray the US military in a favorable light and supports the military. This was also an important opportunity to recognize a female director.

In terms of awards, I think the Golden Globes are more accurate for artistry and talent, i.e. Mickey Rourke's performance was better than Sean Penn's. But Penn's performance was more socially important.

Over time, truely wonderful movies last. For instance "It's a Wonderful Life", is still a favorite and watched by many, but never won an Academy award. At this point, a large portion of the planet already fell in love with Avatar. It's popularity is already apparent, but I believe it will last over time.

I was so happy Cameron didn't win and that Avatar didn't win best picture. The movie looks like a giant piece of shit and I have no interest in watching it whatsoever. I will however be watching the Hurt Locker to see if it lives up to the hype. I would have been happy for Inglorious Basterds to win everything it was up for but I will settle for the wonderful Christof winning.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I think the Academy factors in what is artistic AND socially important at that time.

Hurt Locker supports our troops and the war in Iraq. So socially/politically it is more important than Avatar. But it is practically a war propaganda movie. Tom Hanks appears to be a big cheese at the Academy. He is very patriotic and has been involved in films that portray the US military in a favorable light and supports the military. This was also an important opportunity to recognize a female director.
    It's so not a war propaganda movie. It's about the psychological addiction to war that happens to some and makes them unfit for life at home. It's most definitely not "John Wayne in Iraq".

BTW- The guy who wrote it also wrote In the Valley of Elah- an anti-war pic.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 8th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information