Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hostel

Default Hostel

Ive seen the previews to this movie and my son wants to go see it. What is it about and is anyone planning on seeing this movie?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Hostel

It looks very violent and gory from the preview. I'm usually a fan of horror movies but this one looks a bit too much, looks like something that serial killers might enjoy. But I don't know the story line or anything about it...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quentin T is the director right so you know its gonna have the extra gore.

Quentin produced it, and from what I've heard, his input was more on the money side of things, not creative. Some other guy wrote and directed it... the guy that did Cabin Fever, which was a comedy, spoof horror film.

It's got a very favorable rating on rottentomatoes.com, lots of good reviews, and alllll my friends are going to see it, but I won't be there. I love horror movies, but the previews have freaked me out. As far as I know, it's straight up slasher film with a lot of gore, torture, dismemberment, etc.

There's a clip from the movie here: http://admin.horrorchannel.com/index...ticle&sid=3889

It freaks me out too!!! And in the previews don't they say it is based on a true story. I know they use this term loosely nowadays but it still freaks me out!! The whole premise freaks me out---people being locked up and tortured. However, despite all this---I will see it. And I will probably have to do that squinty eye thing I do when I know something awful is coming so that I don't see it really clear. And I will probably have to sleep with a light on.

It is or is not based on true events?

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    It is or is not based on true events?
    It says it is but that can mean anything. I remember they also said that for Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Oh yeah and people still believe it to be fact based. My son asked my husband if he knew about the chainsaw massacre. He argued with my husband that it was true when my husband told him it never happened at least not in texas

Yeah, Texas Chainsaw Massacre is not based on a true story, but it's loosely based on real serial killers like Ed Gein. The actual plot of the movie never took place anywhere. I assume the same is true for Hostel.

Who did Natural Born Killers? Was it Oliver Stone?
    That movie distupted me for weeks after seeing it. I couldnt look at Juliette Lewis the same for years.

Ed Gein is the basis for a lot of the horror movies that are "based on a true story". I think I heard that even Jame Gumb in Silence of the Lambs is based on Ed Gein.

Ohh, I found this on imdb.com about it being a "true" story:

The trailers bill the movie as "inspired by true events." Aintitcoolnews.com webmaster Harry Knowles showed director Eli Roth a website he found that advertised itself as a "murder vacation", offering users the chance to torture and kill someone for the price of $10,000. Roth used the site as inspiration for his script, and told the idea to Quentin Tarantino, who said it was one of the "sickest ideas he'd ever heard". Roth said later on an Icelandic talk show that he had no idea if the website was real or not, but the fact that someone had conceived of such a place and bothered to create a site for it disturbed him so much he had to make the film.

So, it's maybe probably not possibly maybe true.

I saw on a commercial for Hostel that they'd had to call the paramedics for people during early screenings it was so scary. Sounds like bullshit, but I'll probably go check it out anyway.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    I saw on a commercial for Hostel that they'd had to call the paramedics for people during early screenings it was so scary. Sounds like bullshit, but I'll probably go check it out anyway.
    They probably showed it to like....a 90 year old with a weak heart

Yeah when Blair Witch Project came out they were talking about people getting nauseated and vomiting. I believe that actually happened, but it wasn't because it was so scary. It was all that shaky and spinning camerawork. I got such a headache watching that.

Anyway, from the commercials, they don't show it to be more than people getting tortured. What else is the movie about? I'm skeptical that they don't say/show anything else. Is there anything else in the movie or is it just to out-gore all the rest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information