Thread: Batman sequel to The Dark Knight: Johnny Depp to play The Riddler?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Batman sequel to The Dark Knight: Johnny Depp to play The Riddler?

Batman sequel to The Dark Knight: Johnny Depp to play The Riddler?

Johnny Depp is being tipped to play The Riddler in the sequel to The Dark Knight.

By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor
    Last Updated: 6:43PM BST 31 Jul 2008

Reports in the US say studio bosses have set their sights on Depp as The Riddler Photo: GETTY

Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker has set the bar high for Gotham City villains, but reports in the US say studio bosses have set their sights on Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.

"Producers are convinced that the role of The Riddler is perfect for Depp. Johnny's a pro. He'll be able to take direction and still make the character his own. And what better Penguin is there than Philip Seymour Hoffman?" a source said.

They could be joining Angelina Jolie - the actress is reported to be after the role of Catwoman.

The Riddler was played by Jim Carrey in 1995 film Batman Forever and Frank Gorshin in the Sixties television series. As for The Penguin, he was portrayed on the small screen by Burgess Meredith and in 1992 film Batman returns by Danny DeVito.

Plans for the sequel are yet to be announced but it is likely to star Christian Bale reprising his role as The Caped Crusader.

The Dark Knight has smashed box office records in the US, taking $314 million in just 10 days.

There is even talk of it challenging Titanic to become the biggest movie of all time. Titanic took $600 million in the US. The Dark Knight certainly looks set to reach second place in the all-time chart and beat Star Wars, which made $460 million.

Batman sequel to The Dark Knight: Johnny Depp to play The Riddler? - Telegraph

Christian Bale AND Johnny Depp in the same movie is going to result in worldwide spontaneous orgasms in theaters everywhere. Mark my words!

Johnny Depp and Philip Seymour Hoffman-----WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That would be amazing. St. Vagina? Not so much.

*sigh*please let it be true.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

On the surface it sounds cool, but come on, THREE villains in one movie? Two was pushing it for the Dark Knight. The problem with having too many villains is movie wastes time and dilutes the movie in my opinion. Ideally there should only be one villain, like the original Batman with Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

Three is way overkill, as the horrid Batman movies with George Clooney can attest to.

Cat Woman is less of a villain and more of a grey character.

But yeah, it does worry one. I have a feeling Cobblepot won't take a supervillian role considering how silly Christopher Nolan thinks he is.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    On the surface it sounds cool, but come on, THREE villains in one movie? Two was pushing it for the Dark Knight. The problem with having too many villains is movie wastes time and dilutes the movie in my opinion. Ideally there should only be one villain, like the original Batman with Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

Three is way overkill, as the horrid Batman movies with George Clooney can attest to.
    There was only one horrid Batman movie with Clooney in it: Batman & Robin. The other horrid Batman movie - Batman Forever - had Val Kilmer in it

But hasn't Chris Nolan said that he doesn't like the idea of using the Penguin? These casting rumours - with Hoffman in the role - came up before TDK was released: Chris Nolan Says No to the Penguin - Cinematical

Maybe he's changed his mind?

^I also thought Nolan said there would be no penguin. If he's changed his mind, I hope he changes it back. I also hope there will be no catwoman, and that if there is, they will be merciful enough not to cast Angelina Jolie in the role.

I agree with celeb_2006 in that three villains would be overkill and too reminiscent of the earlier (bad) films.

Let it be true.

Johnny can play any kind of character ^^ And I'd love to see him portraying a villain... So hot xD

Thread Information