Thread: Captain Obvious (George Lucas) says `Indiana Jones' franchise needs Harrison Ford

Default Captain Obvious (George Lucas) says `Indiana Jones' franchise needs Harrison Ford

Lucas says `Indiana Jones' needs Ford to continue
    AP Entertainment Writer

George Lucas says he's already identified the one person who can keep the "Indiana Jones" franchise going: Harrison Ford.
    The filmmaker scoffed at the possibility of passing the famed fedora from Ford to Shia LaBeouf, the 22-year-old actor who played Indy's son Mutt Williams in this summer's "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."
    "He is Indiana Jones," Lucas said of Ford. "If Indiana Jones wasn't in it, you'd have to call it 'Mutt Williams and the search for Elvis.' ... "Yeah, it's 'Mutt Williams and the Search for Elvis.'"
    Lucas sat down with AP Television at his Big Rock Ranch outside San Francisco, where he said he didn't pay much attention to the reception from critics and fans to "Crystal Skull," a sci-fi adventure set in the 1950s. But he definitely sees a future for Dr. Jones. A fifth movie is certainly a possibility.
    "The franchise really depends on me coming up with a good idea," Lucas said. "And that series is very research-intensive. So we're doing research now to see if we can't come up with another object for him to chase ... hopefully we'll come up with something."
    Meanwhile, the 64-year-old has another popular franchise to nurture: "Star Wars."
    Lucas produced the animated "Star Wars: Clone Wars," hitting theaters Aug. 15. It will be followed in the fall with the launch of an animated TV series by the same name, airing on the Cartoon Network and TNT. Lucas plans a live-action "Star Wars" TV series as well, and he's also looking into re-releasing the six "Star Wars" films using new 3-D technology.
    "We're trying to do that," Lucas said. "We worked on some, with a company that was developing the technology a few years ago to convert films into 3-D, we worked with them. But the system works great. It's just not very practical. So what we've been working on since then is to develop a sort of practical way to do it. And we will get there. It's just a technological challenge."
    The producer-director waxed nostalgic for the days when talking to the press wasn't necessary to promote a film.
    "I like when you focus on making movies, you make movies and people go to see them," he said. "But there's this whole other industry that's been created which the world hasn't quite adjusted to or caught up to or figured out. It's the same thing with copyright and all kinds of other things where things are going around that I'm sure at some point will become more civilized. I'm just waiting. Like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, I'll go out and adopt twins if they'll pay me $14 million to do it."

The Indiana Jones franchise is nothing without Harrison Ford. Like that's news to anybody?

Shia could carry it.. but the name thing would be an issue.

Frankly, Harrison is getting too old. He looked old in the latest one. He had old man walk.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh SNAP! at his Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt $14M snide comment!! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Shia could carry it.. but the name thing would be an issue.

Frankly, Harrison is getting too old. He looked old in the latest one. He had old man walk.
    Shia already starting his own franchise called 'Trainwreck.' The first movie was 'Walmart Arrest,' and the latest was 'DUI.'

And they need to just let this last Indiana Jones movie be the end.

Hit By Ban Bus!

[quote=kingcap72;1318806]Shia already starting his own franchise called 'Trainwreck.' The first movie was 'Walmart Arrest,' and the latest was 'DUI.'

[quote]

Classic!

As long as Harrison keeps bringing in the bucks George will continue to love him. Lets face it Harrisons movies have flopped for a long time now, if anyone needs Indiana Jones it's Harrison Ford.

Lets not talk about pimping out kids for bucks when George has done everything he can come up with to squeeze every last dime out of Star Wars fans. Just how many boxed sets do we need - VHS classic, VHS remastered, DVD remastered recolored and revamped. How about that 25 bucks to belong to StarWars.com or the 50 bucks for the membership when Revenge of the Sith was being made? George your darn near as bad as J.K. Rowling. Even Peter Jackson didn't charge to belong to his Lord of the Rings site. Just saying George.... you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

They need to stop making Indiana Jones sequels altogether. I wish they hadn't made the last one at all. I had to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark again to remind me of what a great Indiana Jones flick is like and to wash my brain of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Shia LaBeouf has no charisma. (jmo, of course, other people here seem to like him.) Even the nickname of his character sucks. Mutt? Ugh. I don't want him to carry on the franchise.

Harrison Ford is too old for the role. He is in great shape for a man his age, but his age still shows. It's distracting. His heart wasn't even in this movie. He'd gone back to the same kind of amateurish acting that he exhibited in Star Wars. (I love Hans Solo, but it was his charisma that got him by in his early roles, not his acting ability.) His performance was phoned in. He seemed to feel silly even. I don't want to see another one with him in it either. Just leave the franchise alone. I prefer to rewatch the first three.

Thread Information