Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dollhouse creator Joss Whedon filming series prequel

Default Dollhouse creator Joss Whedon filming series prequel

Dollhouse creator Whedon filming series prequel

July 23, 2008 at 05:36:00 PM
    Whedon shakes up the order of his midseason Fox series Dollhouse by shooting a new "prequel" episode to serve as the show's pilot.

"I know a way to satisfy everyone."

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter)--Ever since Fox canceled Joss Whedon's 2002 series Firefly, fans have groused that the network sabotaged the show's chances by airing its episodes out of sequence.

Now Whedon himself is shaking up the order of his midseason Fox series Dollhouse.
    The creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is shooting a new "prequel" episode to serve as the show's pilot. Whedon said that he opted to craft a new introduction to the series after meeting with Fox executives, who expressed concerns about the accessibility of the first episode.
    "When we talked to the network I got a sense of hesitation about what we had, and I understood why," Whedon said Tuesday on the Dollhouse set. "There's a concern about the audience coming into this world. I respect their need to draw in an audience and present this a certain way."
    Whedon acknowledged that there are similarities to the "Firefly" experience.
    "That's why I hit myself on the head for this," Whedon said. "Having been through this, I should know I need to deliver a way to get into a story. These are not stupid people (at the network), and I decided I needed to make a preemptive strike. I wasn't going to entrench around my art; television is a fluid process. So I said that I know a way to satisfy everyone."
    Whedon said that the new first episode will allow him to select from previously shot footage to figure out "the most iconic way from what we had to introduce each character."
    Added star Eliza Dushku, "And I didn't get to wear my leather pants in the pilot, so that was a deal-breaker."
    In Dollhouse, a group of people are programmed with various abilities and personalities and rented out for assignments to high-paying clients. They are kept stored in an underground compound that resembles a Zen-like spa. One of the Dolls, Echo (Dushku), gradually begins to become self-aware.
    "I wanted everybody to feel like Echo is in this terrible situation, slash, 'Can somebody wipe my memory and feed me and put me in a wonderful spa and give me massages too?'" Whedon said of the elaborate set.
    The tone of each episode, he added, will shift based on the Dolls' assignment, a tactic that some might consider risky.
    "Every time I'm here, I worry that this show is the big mess, that this is the time I will fail," he said. "At the same time you learn to let go of that or not one word you will write."
    Story Copyright 2008 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
    TV.com: Dollhouse creator Whedon filming series prequel

WHY on earth would Joss Whedon go to Fox with another series? The knucklehead execs already killed Firefly with their scheduling fuck-ups, now they're trying to screw over another Whedon vehicle.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Gold Member

I ****really**** hope this show succeeds--have no doubt that it will be a HUGE success!!! Joss Whedon is my master now (to borrow a tshirt slogan)!!!

Can't wait to see this!
    In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on.
    Robert Frost

It premieres this Friday!

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post

WHY on earth would Joss Whedon go to Fox with another series? The knucklehead execs already killed Firefly with their scheduling fuck-ups, now they're trying to screw over another Whedon vehicle.
    Dushku was (is) under contract with Fox, Whedon agreed to make a show for her. That's oversimplifying it a bit but it's basically the gist of it.

I've been looking forward to this show. I really think it could be great. I also really think it could be a complete train wreck. My expectation is anywhere on that spectrum.

Still, can't wait to find out!

Holy crap! How come I never heard of this show? I love Josh.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeknot View Post
    Dushku was (is) under contract with Fox, Whedon agreed to make a show for her. That's oversimplifying it a bit but it's basically the gist of it.

I've been looking forward to this show. I really think it could be great. I also really think it could be a complete train wreck. My expectation is anywhere on that spectrum.

Still, can't wait to find out!
    Thanks for the info.

And I can't wait either. I'm sure I'll love it-it's a Joss show- even if the premise sounds weird. After all "blonde cheerleader fighting vampires' and 'cowboys in space' don't sound so good on paper either.

^ Pirate cowboys in space!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Holy crap! How come I never heard of this show? I love Josh.

I never saw an ad until last week, so I suspect they're not promoting it very much.

I've already set my DVR! Though I still want Nathan back.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I never saw an ad until last week, so I suspect they're not promoting it very much.
    This is FOX we're talking about; why should we expect any different? Keeping Terminator on is only an exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post

I've already set my DVR! Though I still want Nathan back.

What would we do without GR? Setting DVR now.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

It's on tonight! Just a reminder...

Bronze Member

Default Episode 1

Okay, I'll go first. I'm sorry if I go on a bit, but this is the only place I can find where people are actually watching it!

To be on the safe side I better warn there are probably spoilers on episode 1 below

It didn't blow me away or anything, but it didn't put me off either. I think there were three main problems I had going into it

1. The premise - I really disliked the premise (she's a different person every week!) on paper, but I'm actually more hopeful on that front. The way it's being handled does open some new problems though.

2. Is it going to be pretentious horseshit? I started thinking this when all these naked pics of Eliza Dushku came out promoting the show. I was like, wtf? Then I read a piece where Whedon was explaining how the promo pics were part of the show's examination of how women are commoditised and creepily sexualised in our culture, and I rolled my eyes and thought "oh lord". It's only one episode so the jury's out on that one.

3. Eliza Dushku's acting ability. I say this as someone who really likes her: she can't act. This would be a tough role for anyone, especially in a show with serious pretentions. I came out of the first episode considerably less optimistic that she can pull it off.

My main, new, problem with the concept is that everyone involved in the running of the Dollhouse are despicable villains. There's no other way to look at it: they are basically enslaving all these people. Even if the "dolls" volunteered to be a part of it, they're doing so under duress and probably unaware of what will actually happen to them. So it's going to be a really really tough sell to sympathise with any of the characters we're supposed to (like Echo's handler), because they KNEW what this whole enterprise was about and they went along with it.

Also, it was ironic that the head of the Dollhouse - a place where people are enslaved - would give the go-ahead for that venture to rescue the little girl from the kidnappers. I sense this wasn't intentional.

Also, as soon as the tech guy said "she has asthma" I thought, oh that's going to be a plot point then. And lo and behold, it was.

And wouldn't it be cheaper for the father to just hire an actual damn hostage negotiator on the sly?

Bronze Member GossipJunkieBBFan's Avatar

I am IN love with this show. I love it.

I just read the unaired pilot script, and it was SO much better than what they showed. Stupid Fox executive monkeys!

Dollhouse Unaired Pilot

I hope the other episodes are closer to Whedon's original vision.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information