Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong Cinema

Default Hong Kong Cinema

My husband and I are major Hong Kong Cinema fans… I also know I can’t be the only one on the board...so come on lets discuss our favorite movies & actors.

I recommend the following movies:

Kill Zone – Donnie Yen, Simon Yam, & Sammo Hung
    Flash Point - Donnie Yen,
    Hard Boiled – Chow Yun Fat
    Iron Monkey – Donnie Yen
    New Police Story – Jackie Chan, Nicholas Tse
    Gorgeous – Jackie Chan
    Dog Bite Dog- Edison Chin (He was the one involved in the HK sex Scandal earlier this year)
    The Eye 1 & 2 great… 3 sucked.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Hit By Ban Bus!

The Killer & A Better Tomorrow - Chow Yun Fat.....I'm a big John Woo fan
    Ju-On (The Grudge)

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    My husband and I are major Hong Kong Cinema fans… I also know I can’t be the only one on the board...so come on lets discuss our favorite movies & actors.

I recommend the following movies:

Kill Zone – Donnie Yen, Simon Yam, & Sammo Hung
    Flash Point - Donnie Yen,
    Hard Boiled – Chow Yun Fat
    Iron Monkey – Donnie Yen
    New Police Story – Jackie Chan, Nicholas Tse
    Gorgeous – Jackie Chan
    Dog Bite Dog- Edison Chin (He was the one involved in the HK sex Scandal earlier this year)
    The Eye 1 & 2 great… 3 sucked.

GET OUT! I'm a huge HK cinema fan, too. I luvz Donnie Yen! He kicked muthafuxing arse in Flash Point. You should watch SPL, he does similar kind of UFC style fighting in that movie, too. Oh and Dragon Tiger Gate has Donnie Yen as well as Nicholas Tse.

BTW, Ju-On isn't a Hong Kong film.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    GET OUT! I'm a huge HK cinema fan, too. I luvz Donnie Yen! He kicked muthafuxing arse in Flash Point. You should watch SPL, he does similar kind of UFC style fighting in that movie, too. Oh and Dragon Tiger Gate has Donnie Yen as well as Nicholas Tse.

BTW, Ju-On isn't a Hong Kong film.

Donnie Yen is awesome! Dragon Tiger Gate is a great movie, I love Nicholas Tse.... I even have him on my myspace . Okay, the Ju-On movies might not be HK but they are Asian and that's good enough for me .

SPL ( Kill Zone) Is my absolute favorite, that is were I got my love for Jacky Wu Jing.

I hope they make more Dragon Tiger Gate movies.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Bought 4 movies this summer, seen 2 of them. One had Sammo and Simon Yam. Was some kinda gangster movie...it suxed. Special effects were just laughable, blood spewing everywhere from limbs being chopped off, looked too cheap and fake. Not to metion the storyline but I don't know, I sometimes think it's just bad translation (cuz I have to watch with English subtitles).

The other one, also a gangster movie but more drama-ish, had Jordan Chan(? not sure of his last name), this was more serious and sad.

Other 2, we still haven't watched. One is called Warlords or something? Jet Li, Andy Lau and that Japanese actor (Kaneshiro someone) are in it. Can't remember what the 4th movie is. We (me n hubby) go to this market and buy Chinese DVDs for real cheap, 4 for $20. There's a couple of new Donnie Yen movies this year, too, right? Well, at least one. Historical action movie? I skipped on that for some reason, if you've seen it and think it's good lemme know, I'd buy it.

I wish Stephen Chow made an action movie this year, instead he was in that kiddie movie about an alien.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

We rent our movies on netflix, and for Donnie Yen I see Seven Swords on their list, we haven't seen it yet. We have seen Iron Monkey which is a historical action movie and we both really liked it.

We have seen a few movies that we are like, "what the hell." It has to be bad translation. PTU was one of them.

I have on the way for this week: The City of Violence which looks awesome on the trailers... but so do most of them, and Infernal Affairs 1 & 2.

I liked PTU a lot, it was artistically done, maybe overdone but I read some review that said the director meant to do so with the constrast of dark and bright lighting.

I didn't like Seven Swords, it was more fantasy than historical to me, kinda like Lord of the Rings. It's hard to understand those movies cuz I don't have the cultural background (I assume it's the same for you). My friend told me it's based on a famous Chinese novel (which he had read in elementary school). Oh I lent him my DVD, he hasn't returned me it yet! He was all nostalgic about it though remembering his school days in China.

Do you have any kinda Chinatown by you? You could buy DVDs for almost the same amount you pay for renting.

PTU started off great but just seemed to draaaag.

I live in South Florida and there is nothing but crap towns, so I'll just have to keep on renting.

moomies, did you ever see Drunken Monkey? I loved it! It stars Jackie Wu Jing ... He is the assassin with the knife in The Kill Zone.

Anything with Tony Leung *drool*

Old school Stephen Chow movies. Nothing he did since 2000 is any good.

^^ Old school Stephen Chow movies are pretty funny. And you see that same old tranny lady that picks her nose with her pinky LOL.

Oh I loved this gangster movie when I was in highschool, I thought it was the coolest. It has a couple of English titles, but usually referred to as The Young and Dangerous and sometimes called The Rascals. Ekin Chen plays the main character. I so loved that movie and the soundtrack.

I'll try and find Drunken Monkey Butterfly.

Quote Originally Posted by ekee View Post
    Anything with Tony Leung *drool*

Old school Stephen Chow movies. Nothing he did since 2000 is any good.
    I just watched Infernal Affairs 1 & 2, and have to agree with you on Tony Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    ^^ Old school Stephen Chow movies are pretty funny. And you see that same old tranny lady that picks her nose with her pinky LOL.

Oh I loved this gangster movie when I was in highschool, I thought it was the coolest. It has a couple of English titles, but usually referred to as The Young and Dangerous and sometimes called The Rascals. Ekin Chen plays the main character. I so loved that movie and the soundtrack.

I'll try and find Drunken Monkey Butterfly.
    My friend happens to have the entire series of that movie. We all sat down and watched like 4 of them in a row last weekend. I can't believe it's been that long. We felt so old.

Quote Originally Posted by ekee View Post
    My friend happens to have the entire series of that movie. We all sat down and watched like 4 of them in a row last weekend. I can't believe it's been that long. We felt so old.
    Awww, don't you make me feel old, too! But that soundtrack was awesome, had really original and cool songs for a HK movie (which isn't very often so I consider this a classic). I think I rented 2, 3 and there's even a prequel right?

[youtube]rhzu5x3nn_4[/youtube]
    Luvz the chorus part...

[youtube]PNJOrO5_ecE[/youtube]
    So funny that they made friends with the priest ROFL.

This movie surely glamourized the lives of young Triad members. Loved all the characters and their personalities. And Ekin was/is HAWT. I'd highly recommend this movie if you are into HK cinema.
    Last edited by moomies; July 27th, 2008 at 02:48 AM.

^Too bad I have always hated Ekin since I was 10. His character in this movie made him the It boy. But my hatred to him was strong I didnt fell in love with him like all the girls i went to school with. Haha. In fact, I still hate him.

The priest is a famous football commentator in HK. He is awesome with the games and always give me the LOLs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information