Thread: Will Smith movie Hancock criticised for homophobic dialogue

Default Will Smith movie Hancock criticised for homophobic dialogue

Hancock, the story of a seriously messed up superhero starring Will Smith, took home the top spot at US cinemas last weekend, taking home an estimated $66 million (£33m) for Sony Pictures.
    Meanwhile, fans who haven’t yet had the chance to indulge in the guilty pleasure of the film are furiously busy online uncovering the film’s third-act plot twist spoilers.
    Some gay fans, however, may not be so pleased with Hancock.
    Smith, star of such action hits as Independence Day and Men in Black, looks to have another hit on his hands with Hancock.
    The film, which features an unhappy and often destructive superhero (Smith), had the second largest July 4th opening weekend behind 2007’s Transformers.
    Following up in second place over the weekend was Disney’s animated film WALL-E, with the Angelina Jolie assassin action-adventure Wanted in third place.
    Hancock, which also stars gay-friendly actress Charlize Theron, has so far scored over $100 million in the U.S. for Sony, with an estimated additional $78 million coming in from overseas markets.
    Smith has so far starred in a record eight consecutive number one opening films, starting with Men in Black II in July, 2002.
    On Monday, the Internet was buzzing with news of the film’s highly successful opening weekend.
    A slew of fans searched the Web for spoilers about the movie’s reported unexpected plot twist in the third act.
    While some critics have accused the film’s creators of mucking with a potentially good story by throwing in a cheap plot twist, others have been impressed by the creativity of the ending.
    The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is up in arms about the film over derisive anti-gay language spouted by Smith in the movie.

Smith’s character uses the term "homo" in what the organisation calls a 'derogatory' manner three times.
    "At approximately 24 minutes into the film," GLAAD writes in a statement regarding the film, "while Jason Bateman's PR whiz works to rehabilitate the superhero's tarnished image, he shows Hancock three comic book images in an effort to inspire him. But Hancock rejects the traditional image of costumed superheroes as he responds to each one: ‘Homo. Homo in red. Norwegian homo.’
    "The audience is prompted to laugh and there is no response to or retribution for Hancock's remarks.
    "Bateman's character, the father of a young son, could have easily spoken up instead of giving Hancock a pass," GLAAD states.
    GLAAD goes on to ask why the scene was left in the film when it added no value to the storyline.
    "No one would have missed the line if it wasn't there, but an unfortunate choice was made to go for the cheap gay joke," GLAAD points out.
    "In that moment, young gay people in the movie's audience are put in the position of being ridiculed by a character they are expected to regard as a hero."
    While GLAAD acknowledges that the character of Hancock is intentionally distasteful in some ways as part of the film’s storyline, "Hancock’s use of the slur sends a problematic message that it’s okay to discriminate using such hateful words…

To have a heroic character—and by extension actor Will Smith—use, and by implication, approve of, this kind of language is simply unacceptable.
    "GLAAD understands that sometimes anti-gay language shows up in dramatic narrative to reveal a character’s true colours, or to convey a message, but there’s a big difference between using it to highlight a character’s anti-gay attitudes and making a cheap, unfunny shot at gay people."

© 2008 GayWired.com; All Rights Reserved.

How did Tommy Girl let this happen? Will better be careful or Tommy will poke him with his sword again.

how do you use the term 'homo' in a non derogetory manner?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Eli

I agree with Hancock. Superheros in tigh spandex are homo's.

Surely part of his character is him being a litlle...intolerant? I haven't seen the film but that seems to be the premise?

It's a f*cking movie, if people don't like it they don't have to watch it.
    I am so tired of people getting all up in arms over name calling.

But Hancock rejects the traditional image of costumed superheroes as he responds to each one: ‘Nigger. Nigger in red. Norwegian nigger.’
    better?

Same thing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I actually thought that it was a pretty good movie.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Bronze Member

*takes movie off "To See" list*

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    better?

Same thing.
    Oh please, nigger is a much worse word. Homo is short for homo... sexual. Hetro isn't bad. And why do gay people always get offended when people use the term gay in a negative light? If it bothers you so much, start saying "straightsies" as a derogative. There is no different, foo'.

anyone see this movie? im goign to this or wanted tonight....any ideas?

^^I liked it
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Oh please, nigger is a much worse word. Homo is short for homo... sexual. Hetro isn't bad. And why do gay people always get offended when people use the term gay in a negative light? If it bothers you so much, start saying "straightsies" as a derogative. There is no different, foo'.
    Actually it's a perjorative and being phased out as such. The implication here is certainly negative.

There's no difference, and no I won't start calling straight people their own offensive term. Not exactly adult, is it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information