Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American version of Kath & Kim

Default American version of Kath & Kim

It's Not Just A Bad Dream

America ruins everything and this is no exception! The American version of the beloved Australian comedy "Kath & Kim" has already shot its first episode. ABC has also bought 7 more episodes bringing its order total to 13 episodes. Molly Shannon plays Kath and Selma Blair plays Kim. Give it a bone, ABC!
    ABC might as well just stab me in the heart with Skeletor's clavicle bone. This is illegal!
    I'm not that only one that is shitting mad about this fuckery. Selma Blair spoke to News.com.au Top stories | News from Australia and around the world online | News.com.auabout the Australian backlash, "Some people are really protective and horrified that we're doing it in the United States."
    The crappy US version will take place in a suburb in Florida. It's the same set-up. Molly will play an overly positive mother and Selma will play her celebrity-obsessed, bitchy daughter.
    Selma also claims she gained some weight to play chunky ass Kim, "The joke is I wear the same clothes from when I was 13 and when I sit down there will be a big roll over my shorts and I call myself the hottest thing. There will definitely be the appearance of a thong or two."
    Kath & Kim is the one of the only shows that makes me laugh until I barf. "Cops" is the other show, but for different reasons.
    You can already see the Americanization from just the first photo! Molly and Selma are supposed to look frumpy and fugly! They look semi-hot. Epponnee Rae is not happy about this.

VIA ONTD

It's Not Just A Bad Dream | Dlisted
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Eli

Oh please, whatever they come up with will be better than the Aussie one.
    Anyway look at the US Office.

edit: Oh my God, Paul Feig is directing. I'm sold. This is going to be great!
    I wonder if it'll do a first season like the Office, where it will copy the Aussie one (God help us) but then by the 2nd season turn into its own version of the show. Can't wait!!

I wonder who will play Sharon?

?????

Eli

I wouldn't mind Amy Poehler.

Why does everything have to be Americanised...whats wrong with just airing the Australian version? I'm not a big fan of Kath and Kim...I kinda missed that boat...but...why make an American version??? It's a classic on its own. You cant remake classic shows. Judging from the photo of the American Kath and Kim...they have completely missed the point of Kath and Kim.

Eli

I think what America will improve on with their own version is the mockery it makes of its own people. With the Aussie version, we got that, but when other countries watched it they just assumed that's what everybody is like in Australia when they're not wrestling crocodiles. And I'm here to say that it's furthest from the truth, they're ludicrously bogan, sort of like the yokels of our society. I'm going to be so embarrassed when I go overseas and people will say "Oh say something like Kath & Kim!" I'll just be like "Go fuck yourself".

i am not a Molly Shannon fan, but i might watch this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Eli

I just watched her on Pushing Daisies (literally 5 minutes ago). I don't think much of her either. But... I don't dislike her.

I agree with you Allie, about people being naive enough to think Kath and Kim is like reality tv and we're all like that...but I HATE the idea of them Americanising it. Not everything is about America!!!!!!!

Eli

Yeah, but saying that, at least they take an idea and make their own out of it. Unlike Australia (cough cough, Steve Visard Show copying David Letterman to everything from the band to the throwing card out of window, cough cough*).

So... I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    I agree with you Allie, about people being naive enough to think Kath and Kim is like reality tv and we're all like that...but I HATE the idea of them Americanising it. Not everything is about America!!!!!!!
    But it's just because it will be seen in America. Different countries have different problems,inside jokes,etc. Plus-well-some of our viewers would have problems with the dfferent accents. It would have to have sub titles here! I am looking forward to this show-remember,we never have seen the original.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Eli

^^
    Australians do speak English you know. I mean if anything, southern American accents are harder to understand than the typical Australian accent. The ones you hear on TV- they're fake. We actually sound more like the British actually. We go and have a "bahhh-th" and walk down a "pahhh-th", but we do say "naahhhh" so I guess sometimes we sound crass.

lol the funny thing about that is; my boyfriend is Dutch and we were watching tv, and he was mocking the aussie accent of the girls on mcclouds daughters (it was on at like 6am there we were a lil wasted) and he told me he finds it hard to understand the aussie and uk accents when they have tv shows from those countrys, but if its american he doesnt have trouble (in the netherlands they have subtitles, they dont dub it)
    I just found it hilarious that he had trouble understand aussie accents on tv but could understand mine fine (if i spoke slowly)

Eli

I find Aussie accent funny, as well. I can't take Aussie dramas seriously because of it. Everyone just sounds like a clown to me. lol.

Btw I've just realised- REALLY bad casting job on the US K&K. Selma? No. Just no.

Yeah I can hear the Aussie accent...and I laugh at it too. I SWEAR I DONT SOUND LIKE THEM CHICKS ON MCCLOUDS DAUGHTERS!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information