Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot damn! 'Match Game' is coming back!

Default Hot damn! 'Match Game' is coming back!

And they had BETTER do it justice!

Is Sarah Silverman the new Brett Somers? Could Norm MacDonald be the next Richard Dawson?

The comedians have signed on to be on the panel for TBS' updated "Match Game" pilot, shot this week in Los Angeles. Also taking seats are Super Dave Osborne (Bob Einstein), Kids in the Hall trouper Scott Thompson, Rashida Jones ("The Office") and Niecy Nash ("Reno 911!").

Andrew Daly ("Semi-Pro") is serving as host for the pilot, which is being executive produced by Robert Smigel of "Saturday Night Live" and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog fame.

The project, from FremantleMedia North America, was announced in March as part of the network's development slate, with TBS saying that it marks the network's biggest foray into game shows.

The original, which debuted in 1962, has had several incarnations in daytime and in the evening as a weekly syndicated show. "Match Game," featuring contestants trying to match missing words in a given phrase with a panel of celebrity guests, reached its naughty heyday with the Gene Rayburn-hosted version in the 1970s -- once the questions were tweaked to allow for a generous amount of double-entendre humor.

The game is played by two contestants and a panel of six celebrities. Each contestant attempts to match the most celebrities in a series of fill-in-the-blank questions, such as "Sam is so short, he makes _____ look tall."

Along with Somers and Dawson, Charles Nelson Reilly was another longtime regular on the show. Other panelists over the years included Vicki Lawrence, McLean Stevenson, Betty White, Orson Bean, Fannie Flagg and Nipsey Russell.

The most recent version of "Match Game" ended its run in 1999. Reruns air regularly on cable network GSN, effectively exposing younger audiences to the format.

Should "Match Game" get a series pickup, it wouldn't be TBS' first game show: The network last ventured into that arena in 2006, with the Endemol USA-produced "Midnight Money Madness," which aired Monday-Thursday during an eight-week trial run.

source

OH NO THEY DIDN'T! the celebrities are disposable. the content is priceless

I loved that freaking show....please please do it justice and be funny. That 1999 version was god awful and painful to watch.

I dunno ...

Match Game worked because of the people on it. I watch it all the time on GSN and I just can't imagine seeing it sans Gene, Brett, Richard, and Charles. Wouldn't be the same. You know?

I can't even watch The Price Is Right anymore because Bob Barker is gone, and to me, Bob was TPIR.

I loved Match Game...Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly and Richard Dawson (he was the shit in turtlenecks & his smoking)

I watch the reruns EVERY SINGLE CHANCE I get on GSN. The original.

There's no way they can recreate the original....no f-ing way. However, I am willing to give it a chance. At least they have some decent panelists this time, as opposed to last time.

Nothing better than Brett/Charles/Richard/Gene. NOTHING.

It really is fun to watch this show in reruns. Wacky cast of characters and horrendous fashion galore!

Like with most remakes, the new version will pale in comparison with the old. I'll check it out anyway though.

I loved the original. Not sure how I'm going to feel about a remake.

“What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

How hilarious is it, in this politically correct day and age to see the panel smoking and carrying on---usually smashed!! Its the best!

Ah the 70's. How I would have loved to be involved in that show.....

Yeah, you always strongly suspected they were TANKED and amazed they were actually getting paid for having so much fun.

Case in point - the fabulous Betty White appears to be dancing the dance of the 7 veils in a 1977 Sears special while Gene does the hoochie-coochie behind her:

So ridiculous. So fantastic.

I don't think you can do this show justice in this day and age unless they're going to bring back polyester pantsuits, a bottle of Jack Daniels, and a carton of unfiltered Camels too.

PRICELESS LAURENT!!!

I think they admitted they were pretty much tanked up the majority of the time. And you can tell, if the episodes are in order, that they get progressively worse (smashed). That's when the dancing started.

Anyone else remember Brett and Gene and the running gag about the little motel in Encino???

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Anyone else remember Brett and Gene and the running gag about the little motel in Encino???
    Was it Gene? I had it in my head it was Brett and Charles! I was always waiting for those two to just start making out, even though he was SUPER ghey.

The clip of Gene Rayburn when he intends to say a female contestant has beautiful dimples, but instead says she has beautiful nipples always cracks me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Was it Gene? I had it in my head it was Brett and Charles! I was always waiting for those two to just start making out, even though he was SUPER ghey.
    You know, it truly could have been her and Charles. I'm not sure she 'discriminated' with the joke you know? I know that recently she and Gene had joked about it, though, you're probably correct---I think it originated w/her and Charles. Funny shit all the same.

Why am I so fixated on this though? I might need some therapy....

I dont like Sarah Silverman... but I'll give it a chance. I loved the 70s Match Game, I used to watch it religiously back when we got the Game Show Network.

they cannot top the old match game. it'll be interesting tho, so i'll probably watch, but Sarah Silverman? next thing you know, they will have Andy Dick.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

They'd be damn lucky if they could lure Betty White on. She's always freaking HILARIOUS! And Richard Dawson too - he's still alive and kicking, but I haven't seen him on tv in ages. I've always kind of had the hots for him.

It's sad all the rest are gone. Gene went in 99 and Charles and Brett both went just last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information