Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sex and the City: first review (no spoilers)

Default Sex and the City: first review (no spoilers)

You want to know about “Sex and the City: The Movie”? Here’s the bottom line: it’s going to be a very, very big hit.

I saw it on Saturday night at a private screening. Women wept, cheered. It’s the Neiman Marcus catalog on steroids.
    The four female stars — not to mention Chris Noth as Mr. Big, David Eigenberg as Steve, and Evan Handler as Harry — are the most appealing ensemble of the year.

In the end, the movie’s success rests on Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie. She’s the team captain, which means that she’s not only narrating but guiding the plot. Looking radiant, and charming as ever, Parker couldn’t be better. She’s pithy and sexy. That’s some package.

I give a lot of credit to Kim Cattrall, who gets the best lines and the funniest predicaments. She’s allowed her — and Samantha’s — true age to be written into the script. Bravo! Kim and Samantha are the hottest 50-year-olds around.

Cynthia Nixon, now a Tony Award winner since the show ended, remains a voice of reason as Miranda. She’s to this group what Felicity Huffman is to Desperate Housewives, the calm at the center of the storm. (And Nixon not Cattrall, gets the most overt sex scene.).

Kristin Davis, whose Charlotte is pregnant throughout most of the movie, also is the comedy underdog. The eyes say it all. Charlotte has devilish underpinnings that surface at the best of times. And the little girl who plays her daughter is a real find.
    Kudos also to director/writer Michael Patrick King for writing a new character, Carrie’s assistant Louise, played by Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson. This gives SATC its needed diversity. Hudson is ingratiating as ever, a welcome addition.

King’s first step was set the film up for those who might have never seen the series. Over the opening credits we see a few important clips from the show, just to establish the characters. And then, if that wasn’t enough, our narrator, Carrie Bradshaw, played by Sarah Jessica Parker — she’s sort of Mary and Rhoda sewn into the same person — debriefs us succinctly about her friends, and we’re in.
    I will not divulge any spoilers today even if you’ve seen them in trailers or promo pieces. Suffice to say the four women — Carrie, Miranda (Cynthia Nixon), Charlotte (Kristin Davis), and Samantha (Kim Cattrall) are doing fine since the last episode of the series. Charlotte’s married to Harry and they’ve adopted a little Chinese girl; Miranda is married to Steve, the father of her son, and living in Brooklyn; Samantha is bicoastal, managing the burgeoning career of Smith, her hot young lover; and Carrie is living with Mr. Big, who turns out to be named John James Preston.

With these stories known and in place, King proceeds to mix the deck and tell a bunch of interconnecting stories. In the process he’s done something quite interesting: he’s inadvertently written his own version of “The Women.” This is ironic since “The Women” is coming out this fall with Meg Ryan and friends. But King has simply created his own version of the Clare Booth Luce story for 2008. To say it works is an understatement.

But “SATC” is also not a pratfall comedy. It has nothing in common with “The Devil Wears Prada,” for example. While the caricatures in that film were hilarious, the people in “SATC” are drawn more seriously, perhaps more richly. Also, we know them and they know each other. They are not competing among themselves for anything. Rather, they are moving forward as a single organism with four personas, for survival.

What’s kind of interesting in “SATC” is that no villain is set up for the women to overcome. No one is standing in the way of each woman’s happiness except themselves. I kind of liked that. The formula is gone. Carrie is not vying for Big’s attention with a rival. Samantha is not shooing off Smith’s girlfriends. The problems are in the relationships, not outside of them. It’s refreshing.

No, “Sex and the City” may not be for everyone. Straight guys are likely only to see this film under pain of death from their significant others. Me, I got lost during the first fashion montage of clothes that would have made “Dynasty” look modest.

Indeed, “Sex and the City” is at least partly fueled by its product placements and the sense that everyone in New York is fabulously and mysteriously rich. The dizzying sense of wealth is seen everywhere, but most especially in the non stop clothes, jewelry and furniture sported by the four main characters.

But don’t be worried by all the upscale affluence and opulence. King very smartly has anticipated the current economic mood in this country. There’s a subtle surprise in the third act that addresses it.

FOXNews.com - Sex and the City: First Review (No Spoilers) - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

I can't wait to see this movie!

Hit By Ban Bus!

If this review is accurate at all, and there is no reason to think it isn't, then nobody anticipating this film will be disappointed. I intend to round up my sister, her best friend and mine and make a ladies night out opening weekend. YAY!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

OMG I have been waiting for this movie to come out for so long. It's like an oasis in the middle of the desert for me.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't quite ready to say goodbye to the characters. It's just a shame that I don't have a lot of female friends, so I have to take my fiance. Poor guy, I have to bribe him to go.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

I'm so excited! SATC is still my favorite TV show ever. Is it May 30th yet?

Aw, Sparkly I'd go with you! I might go by myself, I don't really want to put Mr. B through this girl-fest, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much knowing he was bored.

I did love SATC, I was in my 20s throughout the series and it felt like I went through many of the same relationship woes the characters did. I guess many women identified with that, hence the wide appeal. Plus, half the reason for watching was to see what the hell crazy outfits Carrie would be wearing each week.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Old chicks talking about Sex ... no thanks.

(ewwww, I'm gonna get it.)

SVZ

how were there no spoilers in that? ACK!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Aw, Sparkly I'd go with you! I might go by myself, I don't really want to put Mr. B through this girl-fest, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much knowing he was bored.

I did love SATC, I was in my 20s throughout the series and it felt like I went through many of the same relationship woes the characters did. I guess many women identified with that, hence the wide appeal. Plus, half the reason for watching was to see what the hell crazy outfits Carrie would be wearing each week.
    Aww, thanks! I'm thinking of going by myself, but it would be depressing to see a bunch of women with their friends enjoying the movie together. I can also relate to the characters~I think I'm more like Miranda than the other characters, except I love fashion way more than she does. And I totally agree with Carrie and her fashion sense. I drool over her amazing shoes, but some of her outfits made me laugh.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

I am still in love with Harry!

Squeee I can't wait to see this! I love love love Harry too, panda, he's such a sweetheart.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    I can also relate to the characters~I think I'm more like Miranda than the other characters, except I love fashion way more than she does.
    I know I'm very Miranda, neuroses and all. Except I have a much better hairstyle.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I guess I'm just looking for trouble by saying this but I hope that this movie BOMBS!!!, I know that it wont but this freaking series was the WORST! Never saw a full episode but that was for a reason!.....And the angry responses are coming.......wait for it......wait for it......NOW!
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

even if it got shitty reviews i'd stand in line to see it. people hate the TV show and i still love it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I don't know all I see are 4 actress growing unpopular who trying to make that last buck.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I tried several times, but I couldn't even make it through one episode. HATED the characters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information