Thread: George Clooney's football comedy drops ball at box office

Default George Clooney's football comedy drops ball at box office

Clooney football comedy drops ball at box office
    Sunday April 6 3:16 PM ET

George Clooney suffered a bruising tackle at the North American box office on Sunday as his new football comedy "Leatherheads" failed to kick the gambling drama "21" from the top spot.
    "Leatherheads" took to the field in second place with estimated ticket sales of $13.5 million for the three days beginning Friday, said its distributor, Universal Pictures. "21" logged a second weekend at No. 1 with three-day sales of $15.1 million, enjoying a stronger-than-expected hold, said Columbia Pictures.
    Some rival studios thought Universal's estimate was too generous, by upward of $1 million, placing "Leatherheads" at No. 3 below the new Jodie Foster family adventure "Nim's Island," which reported $13.3 million. Final data will be issued on Monday.

Universal had hoped "Leatherheads" would open in the mid-teen millions range, said Nikki Rocco, president of distribution at the General Electric Co-owned studio.
    "We're all disappointed," she said, dismissing rivals' claims that the studio's estimate was overly optimistic. She said the pre-release tracking looked strong in the film's target demographic of older movie-goers, a group that does not rush out to theaters on opening weekend. More than half of the audience was aged 40 and older, the studio said.

RISKY BET
    Clooney, 46, directed and starred in "Leatherheads," a $58 million farce set in the early days of American professional football. He claims he also rewrote much of Duncan Brantley and Rick Reilly's script, which had been languishing for 17 years, introducing its screwball tone. But his request for credit was denied by the Writers Guild of America and he resigned from the union as a voting member in protest.
    Critics have savaged the film, particularly the script. According to Rotten Tomatoes (ROTTEN TOMATOES: Movies - New Movie Reviews and Previews!), a Web site that aggregates reviews, only 36 percent of top critics liked the film.
    Despite his fame and fortune, Clooney is a risky box office bet. He was last in theaters with "Michael Clayton," which earned $10.4 million during its first weekend of wide release in October. The acclaimed legal thriller finished with a disappointing $49 million but did pick up seven Oscar nominations. Other films, such as "The Good German," "Intolerable Cruelty" and "Solaris," also stumbled badly.
    Clooney's biggest success was with the 2001 caper "Ocean's Eleven" and its two sequels, in which he co-starred with heavyweights like Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and Julia Roberts.
    "Leatherheads" marks his first mainstream film as a director. His previous efforts were 2002's "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" and 2005's "Good Night, and Good Luck," which found favor with critics and discerning audiences.
    His publicist did not return a message seeking comment.
    After 10 days, "21" has earned $46.5 million, and should end up in the $70 million range, said Columbia, a unit of Sony Corp. It cost about $35 million to make.
    "Nim's Island," released by News Corp's 20th Century Fox, met the studio's expectations. The $37 million movie, based on Wendy Orr's 2002 novel, stars Abigail Breslin as a girl who lives on a remote volcanic paradise.
    Also new, at No. 5, was the horror film "The Ruins" with $7.8 million. It was produced by DreamWorks Pictures and released by Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc.
    Martin Scorsese's much-hyped Rolling Stones concert film "Shine a Light" enjoyed a solid opening in limited release, pulling in $1.5 million from 276 theaters. The movie, drawn from two New York theater shows in 2006, was released by Viacom's Paramount Classics. (Reporting by Dean Goodman; editing by Bill Trott)

Yahoo! Movies: Movie News -
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

i dont trust critics.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I just got back from seeing "Leatherheads". I really liked it. I especially liked that it hearkened back to the days of the 1940's screwball comedy. It was very Howard Hawkes in its tone. It sort of feels like the grandchild of "His Girl Friday".

I dunno, I wasn't excited by the trailers at all. I think I'm pretty 'average' in my movie tastes, meaning that what I find exciting others usually will too. The trailers just didn't excite me and those kinds of 'period' movies I don't really care for.

Bronze Member

Not suprising. He can't carry a movie on his own. He only plays "George Clooney" in almost every film I have seen him in. He is a personality actor and in this film he is no different.

Unfortunatly, I suspect Universal won't recoup the almost $60 million it spent on this thing...even with an international release.

They forget, "Football" is an American sport...the rest of the world considers "Futbol" to be soccer.

And all the negative publicity his "gf" is getting certainly doesn't help. The public has a long memory, especially with the bad stuff.

The theatre I was in wasn't even half full...let's face it....this movie is "netflix" only.

Don't worry, there's always Ocean's 14 to fall back on.

I saw the trailers and thought if I have the time to see it and am in the mood then I will see it. Before the trailers however I was excited to see it. Probably will rent it I have a feeling.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

He just really isn't a good actor at all to me...

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I didn't even know this movie was coming out until a few days ago. It doesn't look appealing to me at all.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I would be more inclined to see it if Renee Z wasn't in it.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

smf

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    He just really isn't a good actor at all to me...
    he's a likable person but he really sucks when it come to acting ,didnt he when an oscar for it though ?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by gossipmaven View Post
    Not suprising. He can't carry a movie on his own. He only plays "George Clooney" in almost every film I have seen him in. He is a personality actor and in this film he is no different.
    Lol. I couldn't help but be reminded of this:

Crowe says, "I had a good laugh when Clooney tried to compare doing ads for suits, and a car and a drink to what I do as a musician. An endorsement is about money. My music is from the heart."

Not content with slamming his rival's commercial appearances, the GLADIATOR heart-throb rubbishes Clooney's acting ability and career motivation.

He adds, "The job is to take on other characters, otherwise you could just call every character you play the same name. What's the character in this film, George? George, is it? George plays George in the new movie, George.

"I believe if you take on characters for a living, you can't make yourself into an icon in order to sell a pair of shoes." - Russel Crowe George Clooney Feud Continues
    Right on, Rusty!

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I love Russell Crowe! LOL

Look Russell if George gives you any crap just send Fabio after him.

Eli

It flopped? That's great! Because that means it must actually be worth seeing.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I like George in comedies but Renee has been getting on my last nerve since Cold Mountain when she was hammier than the pigs.

Thread Information