Thread: Underbelly

A*O

Default Underbelly

This is a TV series about the Melbourne 'gang war' that raged from around 1995 to 2004. Lots of drug dealers and gangsters killed each other (thus saving the cops a job) so Go Crims!

The series has been banned from broadcast in the state of Victoria as it may taint any potential jurors in a couple of upcoming high profile criminal trials in Melbourne. However, it's being shown in all the other states so of course there are pirate copies floating around everywhere. I got my copy of the whole series today and it's brilliant!!

Any other Aussies, and particularly any other Victorians, seen it too??
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I haven't watched it yet but I've seen bits and pieces of it. Looks very well acted and lots of familiar Aussie stars. I'll have to sit down and watch it soon.

I think the temp ban did it wonders though. My husband said it was downloaded my so many people. I believe one of the sites he downloaded it from was threatened with lawsuits. Best PR it could possibly have!

A*O

I got mine from "a friend of a friend" for $10. The whole series - most of which hasn't even aired yet even outside Victoria. The only problem with it is the sound and vision are slightly out of synch but otherwise it's perfect. Oh well, I guess I can't be called for jury service now (as IF I'm going to confess to seeing the show!)
    Dame Edna Everage

Eli

The show looks depressing; I hate shows that shove themselves in everony'e faces. I for one don't think it's a particularly nice subject to turn into entertainment and I can see why it's been banned in Vic. Still, seeing it everywhere. Get out of my life, Underbelly!

A*O

It's only been banned to prevent potential jurors in the trial of the bloke accused of shooting Lewis Moran from being 'tainted' in any way. Everyone in Melbourne knows the story of this gangwar and the people involved so it seems pointless trying to prevent people from seeing it, especially as pirate copies are all over the place now anyway.

Anyway, I think it's terrific with great acting and writing and the fact it's a true story adds to the drama too. Only a couple of the main characters are still alive now although one is in jail forever (Carl Williams) and Mick Gatto the teflon don is still out and about too. The others all shot each other. Boo fucking hoo.
    Dame Edna Everage

Eli

Well I haven't seen it so I can't speak for it, but the whole thing just says I won't like it, from the annoying cast (seriously, every cast member of every Aussie show in history is in it) to the storyline. Yarg. Back to the slums of the beautiful cinematography of uplifting US programs for me.
    I'll probably see this some day though, due to the hype...

A*O

Give it a chance - they can't help the storyline because it's a true story!! Some of the cast lookalikes are very good indeed.

I notice that the above mentioned Mick Gatto and a couple of 'associates' are flying to Singapore today to "recover some debts" owed to people who lost their money in the recent Opus Prime stockbrokers collapse. I suspect he'll be quite successful LOL
    Dame Edna Everage

Thread Information