Thread: 2009 Oscar Predictions: A preview of the best films of 2008

Lightbulb 2009 Oscar Predictions: A preview of the best films of 2008

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Paramount)

David Fincher directs Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett in this story, based on a F. Scott Fitzgerald book, about a man who ages in reverse. The concept sounds positively intriguing to us and every single major player attached is coming off a big hit. Fincher directed last year’s underrated “Zodiac,” Blanchett was nominated twice for “The Golden Age” and “I’m Not There” and Brad Pitt exceeded expectations in “The Assasination of Jesse James.” The film also features current Supporting Actress winner Tilda Swinton. Put them all together and it could be nothing short of magic.

Australia (20th Century Fox)

After a long hiatus, Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) is back with this epic love story about two people who embark on a journey herding cattle across the outback, and then must survive numerous obstacles including bombing by Japanese forces. Once again, Luhrmann has enlisted the services of his leading lady Nicole Kidman and teamed her with the versatile Hugh Jackman. We have little doubt the chemistry will be there between the co-stars, so the big question is whether the historical elements will mix in well with the personal story. Luhrmann’s attention to detail should hopefully make the film more “Gladiator” than “Alexander.”

The Reader (The Weinstein Company)

Based on the best-selling book by Bernard Schlink, the story chronicles the relationship between a young boy and a woman accused of Nazi war crimes. The story spans many decades and takes many turns along the way. Stephen Daldry (The Hours) directs Academy Award nominees Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes. This film screams prestige and bears some resemblance to “Atonement.” The big challenge will be whether it can satisfy fans of the book. We think it will.

The Changeling (Universal)

Clint Eastwood is back and that usually strikes fear in the hearts of other directors with hopes of adding a gold statute to their collection. This time, he’s got a story about a mother whose son is kidnapped. When he is returned, she starts to suspect that it is not really him. Angelina Jolie plays the mom and Academy Award nominee Amy Ryan also has a meaningful role. At first glance, the story seems more mystery and suspense than drama, but Eastwood is always a wizard at creating powerful, conflicted characters and fleshing out deeper themes in the story. It’s Mystic River meets Gone Baby Gone and to us, that’s a winning combination.

Revolutionary Road (Paramount, Dreamworks)

This is the big one. The director is Sam Mendes, Academy Award winner for American Beauty. The co-stars are Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. You might remember them from somewhere. The story is about a married couple who have to deal with the realities of life during the depression era while raising their two small children. It’s based on a novel by Richard Yates. As of present, the film is already positioned for a mid-December release, perfect timing for next year’s Oscar season. When you reunite arguably the best young actor and actress of our generation in a story that seems to have so many potential layers, we are absolutely sold.

Best Actor:

Sean Penn will be a contender for playing gay activist Harvey Milk in “Milk” and Benicio Del Toro will undoubtedly shine as legendary Che Guevara in “The Argentine,” but Leo is so overdue and he could ride a “Revolutionary” sweep to the podium.

Best Actress:

The array of strong contenders here is mind-blowing. You have past winners Nicole Kidman, Angelina Jolie, and Cate Blanchett. You have rising star Keira Knightley in the costume drama “The Duchess.” And then you have Kate Winslet possibly competing against herself in “The Reader” and “Revolutionary Road.” The five time nominee finally gets her award for the latter.

Best Supporting Actor:

Even before his unexpected death, people were wowing over his masterful and unique portrayal of the Joker in “The Dark Knight.” It will be very hard, we feel, for the Academy to pass up this opportunity to pay tribute to a great character actor, the talented Heath Ledger.

Best Supporting Actress:

Amy Ryan came so close to winning this past year as the mother of a kidnapped child in the edgy “Gone Baby Gone.” Now, she’s got a wonderful part in Eastwood’s Best Picture contender “The Changeling.” And we all know how good Eastwood is at getting his actors hardware.

Best Director:

Sorry Clint Eastwood. But you do already have two Best Director trophies. It’s time to make way for a new face to join the two-win club. Sam Mendes will triumph for “Revolutionary Road.”

Best Picture:

And it all comes down to this, right? “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” for its innovative storyline and probable stylish feel, has a shot. And we foresee a tight two film race. But in the end, we think 2008 will see a single film plow through everything in its path, reminiscent of a “Schindler’s List,” “English Patient,” or appropriately, “Titanic.” Yes, it is very difficult to be the early front runner and it’s likely “Revolutionary Road” will carry that burden the entire way through. But somehow, with that creative team on board, we think they have the goods to go all the way. “Revolutionary Road” is your 2009 Oscar Best Picture winner.

source: 2009 Oscar Predictions: Previewing the Best Films of 2008 - Oscar Frenzy

2 things...I'm looking forward to all of these movies and holy HELL, check out Leo's package! He's my pretty boy fantasy.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Isn't Sam Mendes married to Kate Winslet? If so, is this their first project together?
    Playful~

you know that Heath will win.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^
    I will be so disappointed if Heath doesn't win.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Bring on Benecio Del Toro! Love him!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

The Changeling sounds particularly good.

I don't much care for Eastwood's acting, but he was born to direct, imo.

I don't believe in making Oscar predictions so far in advance. They usually fail. Remember a couple of years ago when All the King's Men was hailed to be strong Oscar competition long before it premiered? It went nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayfulKisses View Post
    Isn't Sam Mendes married to Kate Winslet? If so, is this their first project together?
    Yes. I'd love 2009 to be Kate's year, but who knows! It would be quite funny and ironic if she won for 'The Reader', film about Nazi war crimes, after the sketch she did on 'Extras'.

Leo and Kate are well overdue for their Oscars!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Yes. I'd love 2009 to be Kate's year, but who knows! It would be quite funny and ironic if she won for 'The Reader', film about Nazi war crimes, after the sketch she did on 'Extras'.
    I thought that episode was hilarious.

"That's why I'm doing it - Schindler's bloody List... "
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Gold Member

cool, i'm looking forward to seeing some of these

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    Leo and Kate are well overdue for their Oscars!
    I agree!!

Russell Crowe dropped out of Australia and although I love Hugh Jackman he never seems to get the job done.

Oh gosh Leo and Kate together and this time around Leo can really act! I'm so there whoo hoo!

Add a little Harry Potter and this looks like a good year for movie goers....

Nice to see Brad and Angelina both have good movies coming out, that might shut up the media for a few seconds.

I can't believe Clint Eastwood is directing Angelina, good luck with that. She's box office poison. I think Australia will bomb. I will definitely be checking out Revolutionary Road, and possibly Benjamin Button because of the lovely Cate.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Eli

Australia (20th Century Fox)

After a long hiatus, Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) is back with this epic love story about two people who embark on a journey herding cattle across the outback, and then must survive numerous obstacles including bombing by Japanese forces. Once again, Luhrmann has enlisted the services of his leading lady Nicole Kidman and teamed her with the versatile Hugh Jackman. We have little doubt the chemistry will be there between the co-stars, so the big question is whether the historical elements will mix in well with the personal story. Luhrmann’s attention to detail should hopefully make the film more “Gladiator” than “Alexander.”
    I'm sorry, but am I the only Aussie who is completely offended by this??
    Why the fuck do people think that every citizen of Australia resides on a cattle-farm? I'll tell you why- because the movies say we do!
    Holy frack I have never been to a cattle farm in my life. I've rarely seen cattle. Seriously, for that closet-twat to have the nerve to make a movie called 'Australia' and then make it about a cattle farm is completely offensive. There are now more Asians than English-heritage here now, so why not have it based in the city around a Japanese family and call it 'Australia'. It's an insult to our multi-culturism IMO.
    And enough with the Kidman/Jackman crapola. Just coz they're Aussie... Seriously, hire new talent, doiii.
    I know the film will be set against the war, but come on seriously. I mean what's next, a film called 'New Zealand' about people fucking sheep?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Allie - you are SO right! I thought that myself. To my knowledge, most everybody lives in towns. The Thorn Birds was set 150 years ago or something, get over it Hollywood!

I"m all for Leo & Kate and cannot wait to see RR. However, I just finished reading The Reader and am dying to see what Kate does with that performance. It could be amazing if the screenplay and direction are good.

Thread Information