BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Stones film opens Berlin festival

Stones film opens Berlin festival

Scorsese joined the Stones at the festival

Jagger and Scorsese

The Rolling Stones' hotly awaited concert movie directed by Martin Scorsese has opened the annual Berlin Film Festival.

The band joined the 65-year-old director in the German capital at the screening of Shine A Light.
Fans lined up to catch a glimpse of the rockers at the start of the 11-day festival, which will see 21 films vie for the coveted Golden Bear prize.
Mick Jagger said the film offered a "really intimate look" at the band.
Scorsese, who won the best director Oscar at last year's Academy Awards, used 26 cameras to capture the veteran rock legends on stage at New York's Beacon Theater in 2006.
He said that the nature of the music was "something that has inspired me constantly throughout the years," and he had long been discussing possible projects with singer Mick Jagger.
We tried to get as close as possible to the energy of a live concert

Martin Scorsese

"Whenever I saw the show I'd get excited - I want to get a camera up there," Scorsese said at a news conference.
"We tried to get as close as possible to the energy of a live concert."
Guitarist Keith Richards said he had been curious to see "what Martin would come up with," and praised the unobtrusive approach of the director and his crew.
"We didn't even see them, we didn't even know they were there, and that was the important thing to me," he said.
"As far as I'm concerned, we played three nights at the Beacon and Martin happened to capture it on film - it's a beautiful way to do it."
Shine a Light is showing out of competition at the 58th Berlin Film Festival.
Paul Thomas Anderson's Oscar contender There Will Be Blood is among the 21 films battling to win the Golden Bear, along with Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky, and entries from Iranian director Majid Majidi and Japan's Yoji Yamada.
This year's winner will be chosen on 16 February by a six-member international jury led by Constantin Costa-Gavras, the Greek-born director of Z and Missing.