Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Angelina Jolie's Mighty Heart performance snubbed by Oscars

Default Angelina Jolie's Mighty Heart performance snubbed by Oscars

Why Angelina Jolie Got Snubbed by the Oscars This Year
    Tuesday January 22, 2008

Angelina Jolie inside at the 13th Annual Critics' Choice Awards on January 7, 2008 in Santa Monica, California.

When Oscar nominations were announced Tuesday morning, Angelina Jolie’s name was noticeably absent, despite scoring both Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild nods.
    What happened?
    “It was a very strong race for best actress, and A Mighty Heart was a box office bomb,” says Thelma Adams, Us Weekly’s film critic, adding that a movie’s earnings play into who gets nominated.
    Adams says many voters also could have forgotten about the flick, which opened back in June.
    “It’s really about the fall movies that come out at the Toronto Film Festival [in September],” Adams says of who gets recognized.
    Still, Adams says Jolie’s gritty role as Mariane Pearl, widow of slain Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, should’ve gotten nominated.
    “I personally do think her performance warranted an Oscar,” Adams says. “It was a great performance, and underneath it all, she’s a great actress.”
    Jolie shouldn’t be too bummed out: She took home an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress Oscar in 2000 for her role in Girl, Interrupted.
    But Ted Casablanca's The Awful Truth column seems to insinuate that it's because the Academy plain doesn't like Jolie or maybe her antics. Or maybe her performance just sucks?

Brooding and Broods?

What up, Angelina? No Oscar nom after that terribly humble media tour you just graced us with for A Mighty Heart? I mean, first there was the perfecto photo-op slobbering of your man-unit, B. Pitt, at the Critics' Choice Awards, right in the middle of the Mariane Pearl tour, when you were so busy telling myriad outlets about your sober, inspirational turn as Danny Pearl's grieved widow. Meanwhile, all we wanted to know was how you juggle sexually stimulating (still) your stud-muffin hubby while balancing the kiddos and the classy career all at once. How do you do it? Well, everybody in the world is on the edge of her seat, wanting to know. A few other members of the Academy whom we polled seemed genuinely perplexed when we asked why no Angie half of Brangie for the noms this ayem. "You're joking, right?" bitched one snitty type. Jeez. Kinda harsh, doncha think? We actually thought Ms. J was pretty good as the harrowed spouse. But we do see the Oscar-voter's point, s'pose.
    Would be like nominating Britney for a Grammy, at this over-tab-bludgeoned point.

The Oscars have long been a popularity contest. Lots of hugely talented actors/writers/directors (I'm not including AJ in that category by the way) have never even been nominated, much less won.

AJ is not an Ocscar worthy actor IMO.

^She's not. And lord knows, to nominate a woman in blackface? Yikes.

Plus, she's just not a very good actress. She won an Oscar? Big deal. So did Halle Berry. Neither are very good.

This year they actually got the nominations right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bijoux View Post
    AJ is not an Ocscar worthy actor IMO.
    Agreed.

Too bad so sad

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    ^She's not. And lord knows, to nominate a woman in blackface? Yikes.

Plus, she's just not a very good actress. She won an Oscar? Big deal. So did Halle Berry. Neither are very good.

This year they actually got the nominations right.
    I do think maybe that is another reason, that the conservative Academy doesn't want to mess with the blackface/race issue. That would definitely spur a shit-storm of criticisms I believe the Academy wouldn't even want to touch with a ten foot pole.

I think she's a decent actress, better than some, worse than others.

I hate the way she cries in movies....it just bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I do think maybe that is another reason, that the conservative Academy doesn't want to mess with the blackface/race issue. That would definitely spur a shit-storm of criticisms I believe the Academy wouldn't even want to touch with a ten foot pole.
    I think it has A LOT to do with it, too. I think it was unwise of Angelina to choose to do the role, as well as self-aggrandizing and self-indulgent. Just a bad idea. Also, she's, well, just not that great. She's too aware of the camera and of her own stardom to really be very good. Also, she's not talented.

I still don't understand how Halle Berry got her Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I think it has A LOT to do with it, too. I think it was unwise of Angelina to choose to do the role, as well as self-aggrandizing and self-indulgent. Just a bad idea. Also, she's, well, just not that great. She's too aware of the camera and of her own stardom to really be very good. Also, she's not talented.
    I agree. I can't quite be bothered to hate her, but I do echo other's sentiments about how the only reason she got the Oscar for Girl, Interrupted (she was good in that) is because she was playing herself. No acting required!

The Academy is also being uppity with this snub. As in, she's not good enough for the hoity-toity Academy voters. They're sort of pretentious themselves.

Well.....she ISN'T good enough. She's too much of a spectacle, and she doesn't know which way she's goin'. Is she a saint? A vamp? An actress? The savior of the world? Come on.

Also, her face is made of plastic. Okay, that has nothing to do with her deserved Oscar snub, but I just like to point that out whenever I can.

And they are sick of seeing Brad's idiotic hats.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

These award shows are nothing more than a popularity contest. The winners should be picked by votes of the people. Imo, Reese Witherspoon is the pet of Hollywood, deemed a favorite. However, there are many actresses who are far more talented than she is, with a broader range of talent.

Actually, this year it was less of a popularity contest than it's been in a long, long time. There are no WTF nominees in any major categories. There are no IT girls, and for once, it seems each performance was absolutely exceptional. Nothing political or popular about it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information