Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny Games

Angry Funny Games

I cant believe Hollywood remade this!

Plot- vacationing family gets an unexpected visit from two deeply disturbed young men. Their idyllic holiday turns nightmarish as they are subjected to unimaginable terrors and struggle to stay alive.

Yes I know some would find this movie entertaining but I cant believe they'd release a film about teenagers being cruel and sadistic in this time we're in, where teenagers seem to be committing the most crimes in the world. This is the last thing that needs to be put out there! And its a shot-by-shot remake; why do they have to do this? The original was bad enough, I am just disgusted that they are putting this movie out there- if you saw it you'd know what I'm talking about. Its the most disturbing thing i've ever seen in my life- the original that is. Everything awful you can think of is in it. The fact its youths is even more disgusting. I'm not seeing the re make for anything. I cant help strongly about the fact that such a film shouldn't see the light of day.

YouTube - Funny Games Trailer (2008)

The original is a foreign film and harder to get hold of; i am so infuriated that people are easily going to be able to see this when its released.

Well, thats just my opinion... I had to share.
    Last edited by DitaPage*; December 19th, 2007 at 06:41 AM.

I'm against censorship, so...

The original is actually a criticism of today's society and bored middle class teenagers. Very disturbing indeed, but critical nonetheless.

In the original (don't know the remake) the violence is portrayed in a disgusting fashion, which makes the movie anti-violence.

Much more problematic are movies that actually idealize violence. Such as all kinds of action movies. Funny Games shows the effect crime has on the innocent victim.
    Action movies on the other hand, just show the hero shooting away with a machine gun without giving any idea of what those bullets do to people, for instance.

I suffered through that movie, too, but in my opinion it's not damaging to society for that very reason. It's much more harmful to the minds of teenagers if an action hero kills dozens, even hundreds of people during the course of a movie, while everyone munches their popcorn and feels entertained.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Yeah i was told that it was supposed to make a point of how sick WE are to be watching it, it makes the point that people love violence. They made the violence as disturbing as possible to have the opposite effect on us; that we would be disgusted by it, not entertained. (as people usually are by violence and gore)

But there will be people who are entertained by this and that makes me sick.

Yeah, but sickos will get a kick out of anything. You can't help that. Actually, that's the very message the movie tries to bring across.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I've not heard of it, but it's obviously gross by the way you are describing it.

I think people should decide for themselves, and the criminals/sickos/whatever you call them shouldn't ruin it for those who do want to watch it, but I do get your point.

It kind of raises the "do movies/games/music make people violent" debate.

ETA: OK, there is a dog in it, I definitely won't watch this

I love that poster though. It's so 1968.

^^^
    i love the poster too.
    at least it's being remade by the same director (michael haneke). he's fantastic. i've seen his earlier films - the original 'funny games' and 'benny's video). it's not easy to watch but not bad films by any means. i also loved 'the piano player'.
    i agree with chilly. there is no way anyone (other than a psycho) could watch the original and think it glorifies violence.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    ETA: OK, there is a dog in it, I definitely won't watch this
    And it dies. I know it sounds crazy to some people but I'm even more upset by seeing animals die in movies, than humans.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Judging by the trailer, I don't think the movie will do that well. I absolutely can't stand it when a director or writer creates something for the sole purpose of passing judgment on the audience. In this case, basically telling people that they are sickos for wanting to watch violence. Yet, they have no problem making millions off it, now do they?

Okay I am a huge horror film buff... but sorry these films about people being held hostage and tortured are just sick.

What ever happened to the god old days of something simple and stupid like Friday the 13th???

It was remade by the same director, Michael Heneke, but with some British and American actors.

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about La Pianiste with Isabelle Huppert also directed by Heneke.

That movie disturbed me so much that I won't be able to look at Isabelle for a while and I really love her. I can't watch this director's films anymore.

^^^^
    he is a sick bastard. great director but very uncompromising and
    brutal.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by kiddvideo View Post
    Okay I am a huge horror film buff... but sorry these films about people being held hostage and tortured are just sick.

What ever happened to the god old days of something simple and stupid like Friday the 13th???
    yes, i agree! I watched Halloween H20 the other night and i laughed- because its so far from real; like todays shit, where people are being tortured.

I can watch quick swipes of a knife or something but I cannot watch long scenes of torture, or anything that is unusually cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    And it dies. I know it sounds crazy to some people but I'm even more upset by seeing animals die in movies, than humans.
    I absolutely agree. I mentioned before that's why I don't want to see the Will Smith movie I Am Legend, because you just know his german shepherd--his only friend and faithful companion--is going to die. I know it's only a movie and not real, but it really upsets me just to watch.

As for movies like this, they upset and disgust me enough that I stay away from them. Even if it's commentary on violence or meant to not be gratuitous, you just know it will give sick bastards even more ideas, and generally raise the bar of what people consider okay to watch as entertainment.

Gold Member

Beyotch, I wanted to see I Am Legend and I just can't. There is a website, The Movie Spoiler and I check everything out before I see something that's questionable.

I can't stand watching gore but have no problem reading it. I am curious about storylines for a lot of movies but there is such an excess of gore and violence that I don't want to see them. The fact that I can read a story and have the emotions and story without the gore in my head tells me that it's not necessary to the story.

My husband and I have the conversation over and over about whether it's society and media that triggers a person to do violent things or the fact that the person is broken in the first place. I've never seen this movie but to me, it seems like the only reason a person would remake their own film, especially one that is hard to come across, is for profit. You've made the movie, you've already given your commentary. Why else would you do it again scene for scene? It's not like you can make your point stronger the second time around doing it the same way as the first.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information