Thread: Peter Jackson to produce Lord of the Rings' prequel The Hobbit

Default Peter Jackson to produce Lord of the Rings' prequel The Hobbit

On board: Peter Jackson, who directed Rings, will serve as executive producer for The Hobbit

Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy The Lord of the Rings.

Jackson, who directed Rings, will serve as executive producer for The Hobbit. A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.
    Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after Rings, despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion - an enormous success.
    The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting The Hobbit 50/50, spokesmen for both studios said.
    "I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement.
    "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth." Scroll down for more...
    The Lord of the Rings movies took in roughly $3 billion at global box offices

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made.
    Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.
    Two movies based J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit are in the pipeline

Late last year, acrimony between Jackson and New Line became very public, with the studio announcing they would move forward with The Hobbit without the Academy Award-winning director.

Jackson sued New Line over the amount he was paid for "The Fellowship of the Ring," the first installment of the trilogy.

That litigation, the two sides announced Tuesday, has been settled.
    Jackson, who shepherded Tolkien's Middle-earth saga to the screen in a series of three films, won a best-director Oscar for 2003's The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
    The trilogy also includes 2002's The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and 2001's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. New Line, which is owned by Time Warner Inc., holds the rights to produce The Hobbit, while MGM, which is owned by a consortium including Sony Corp. and Comcast Corp., has the right to distribute it

Peter Jackson to produce Lord of the Rings' prequel The Hobbit | the Daily Mail

Eli

Is he going to play the Hobbit? lol

A*O

Oh yawn. And did Peter Jackson regain all the weight he lost or is that an old pic?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Eli

^^ No idea, but I find slimmer people who used to be fat kind of gross.

I wish I could figure out WHAT was so CAPTIVATING about the LORD of the RINGS trilogy. They just bored me to tears, and then when I'd used up the tears, my eyes shrivelled, and by then my tongue had rotted and then crows pecked out my brains through my eye sockets. Because that's how long the three movies are put together.

Old pic. I wonder who's going to direct? It just says he's going to produce.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

But Ian McKellan! Awww. I love McKellan.

Chances are Sam Raimi or possibly Fran Walsh could direct (she filmed several of the sceens in LOTR) - but it wont matter who they choose cause PJ will be pulling the strings closely by

Excellent. *tents fingers*

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I wish I could figure out WHAT was so CAPTIVATING about the LORD of the RINGS trilogy. They just bored me to tears, and then when I'd used up the tears, my eyes shrivelled, and by then my tongue had rotted and then crows pecked out my brains through my eye sockets. Because that's how long the three movies are put together.
    Ditto. I hated it. Saw the first and got bored and then didn't even sit through the second so I stayed away from the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten89 View Post
    Ditto. I hated it. Saw the first and got bored and then didn't even sit through the second so I stayed away from the third.
    Try reading them....only then will you both know the true meaning of "bored to death," grasshoppers.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Thread Information