Thread: "Masterpiece Theatre" gets new host in Gillian Anderson

Default "Masterpiece Theatre" gets new host in Gillian Anderson

Gillian Anderson to Host `Masterpiece'
    By FRAZIER MOORE – 1 day ago

NEW YORK (AP) — After 37 years, PBS' "Masterpiece Theatre" is getting spruced up.

The revered anthology series will be split into three mini-seasons, each with its own theme and host — one of whom is Gillian Anderson, already familiar to "Masterpiece" fans for her 2006 performance as Lady Dedlock in "Bleak House."

Anderson, even better known as Agent Dana Scully from the Fox series "The X-Files," will make her debut as host of the renamed "Masterpiece Classic" on Jan. 13. Through May, she will present 10 programs that include adaptations of all six of Jane Austen's novels plus a new biopic; "Cranford," a three-part miniseries starring Judi Dench; "My Boy Jack," starring Daniel Radcliffe and Kim Cattrall; and a new adaptation of E.M. Forster's "A Room with a View" by Andrew Davies.

In the summer, "Masterpiece Mystery!" will absorb the "Mystery!" anthology series, a PBS fixture since 1980. Then, in the fall, "Masterpiece Contemporary" will focus on dramas set in the present day. Hosts for these two "Masterpiece" cycles will be announced later.

"Masterpiece Theatre," which premiered in Jan. 1971, was closely identified with its drawing-room host, Alistair Cooke, until he retired in 1992. The series has not had a host since his successor, New York Times writer Russell Baker, stepped down in 2004.

"Our viewers told us that they miss having a host to lead them into the programs," said executive producer Rebecca Eaton.

The series, which has been without corporate underwriting since 2004, when ExxonMobil ended its decades-long support, has since been funded by PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

On the Net:
    Masterpiece Theatre & MYSTERY!
    The Associated Press: Gillian Anderson to Host `Masterpiece'

Make that damn X-Files movie first, please.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Hmm...her post-TV career pretty much tanked, didn't it?

Most definately.

I don't know, maybe she had the career she wanted, with mostly under the radar projects in England, but it certainly wasn't the film career she could have had. I think she's had her fair share of personal drama brought on by her own doing, too.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I liked her in House of Mirth, tho.

Good for her. She was amazing in Bleak House. As Lady Dedlock, she was icy and restrained on the surface but with such subtle intensity just below. Brilliant performance.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

^^Agreed, I'd forgotten about that.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I am looking forward to that Judi Dench piece. I am a huge fan of the Mystery series on PBS. It is how I rediscovered public television after my Sesame Street youth. I wish they would do more with it.

I look forward to that too. I came across Cranford years ago when I fished a copy out of a free bin outside a bookshop. Gaskell made such wonderfully vivid characters.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I can't wait for new Materpiece Theatre programs to come on. Those shows are great, especially "The Forsyte Saga I" and "The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Molly Flanders" I hope they keep the same opening song, does anyone know the name of it (the song)?

Twitchy, have you seen the miniseries adaptation of Gaskell's "North and South"? It's very good.

No, I haven't. It's on my list of things to track down. I've used up my downloading allowance for the month though!

Thread Information