Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Compass

Thumbs down The Golden Compass

I went to see The Golden Compass last night with my friends and I have to say I was rather disappointed when comparing the movie with the book. Has anyone else seen it? The movie just cuts off a few chapters before the climax! And the sequencing was wrong and all sorts. Not very impressed.

Thoughts anyone?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I've never read it but it's a shame you were let down That polar bear looks cool though! I'll probably watch it when it comes out on DVD

I probably won't go see it for a few reasons. One of which is that we don't get to go to movies that often so we're really picky about what we see. The trailers for this haven't grabbed my attention at all and they even managed to make Daniel Craig look boring.

I don't really want to see it, either. I'm not really a fan of the fantasy or action genres, and this seems to be a combination of both.

The polar bear does look cool, but not enough for me to see this Movie... Plus, I don't care for Nicole Kidman..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

All of the gnashing of teeth is making me want to read the books.

There was a story on the news the other day about
    how this movie is blatantly anti-Catholic and pro atheist.
    It actually made me want to see it.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Ah well Iorek (the polar bear) is pretty awesome even though his voice is most predictably Ian McKellan's, it really feels like there can't be a good fantasy movie without him appearing somewhere. Don't get me wrong I love him and I think he's an amazing actor, but overkill much? The books are absolutely fantastic, I'd recommend reading them even if you never see the movie.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    There was a story on the news the other day about
    how this movie is blatantly anti-Catholic and pro atheist.
    It actually made me want to see it.
    I have to admit the same.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I think it's on track to make around 25 or 28 mil this weekend, all things considered not a particularly impressive number to me. I think people in general are overloaded with these kinds of fantasy movies filled with computer generated effects. It's overload really, not really nicole kidman or anyone else's fault.

Silver Member SophieOrangeBerry's Avatar

I went to see it tonight and all i can say is that i hated it. I abosolutely love the books. They are brilliant.
    The film just felt skitty, rushed and all over the place really and ended in such a STUPID place.
    I'm so dissaspointed as from the trailors it looked pretty good.

*sigh*
    Darling... Stop confusing me with your wishful thinking....
    Bang goes another kanga on the bonnet of the van...
    Too soon to be out of me bed

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to feel a bit short changed by this film. I love the books so much!
    I hated the way it ended, if I hadn't known it was the first of a trilogy I would have felt ripped off at such a set-up for another film was put in place.
    I also think it would have benefitted from being a 12/15 rating, there were some dark themes in that book that were taken out. ('cut' children dying, Asreil bringing back the traveller's head etc etc)
    The depth of plot made it dificult too, there was a hell of a lot to have to explain and it was done rather awkwardly I feel, for example, when Lyra meets Mrs Coulter for the first time she just goes off into her speech about how bears want daemons. It felt really crowbarred in and random too.

Nicole Kidman's face I found distracting too although she did do a good job of making Mrs Coulter the right mix of glamour and snake.
    The girl who played Lyra was good, no complaints there and I thought Pantalaimon was well done too.
    Daniel Craig was ok, I think if the next two films get made his character will get more interesting.
    I loved Lee Scoresby in the book and liked the film version, I wanted to see more of him. Ioreck and the bears were good too but the bear's castle was way too clean, in the book there is filth everywhere!
    Speaking of the trilogy, I hope they can do justice to 'The Subtle Knife' -of all the books I think it is my fave. Time will tell!

Overall I can't help but feel this would have been better as a HBO style series, hour long episodes and more time to get into the world Lyra inhabits and do justice to the plot.

Is he a baddie?

I'm glad I popped in here before seeing the movie, good info. I'll still see it though (cuz I see nearly everything...), if anything, to catch the animation. Even if a movie isn't that good, if it's visually pleasing, it will still hold my attention.

Eli

I am not going to see it because there's too much CGI. It makes my brain annoyed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information