Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiVo

SVZ

Default TiVo

Who here has tivo? Do you like it? How much does it cost you?

Do they have it in Canada?

i know we have this http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cabl...asp?shopperID=

rogers personal video recorder...

Default Re: TiVo

Everyone I know who has it loves it.

right now, if you buy a 40 hour recorder from best buy (and agree to a year's service), you can get a $150 rebate. Or you can go to tivo's site, pay for a year's service up front, and get the recorder for $49 (same price ultimately - about $199 whether up front or monthly service)

I have it and I love it!!!!! It's really cheap too---after setup it's only an additiional $15/month. And it's worth every cent. You can set it to record your favorite shows--it knows if it's a rerun and won't record, you can rewind/pause live TV, you can fast forward through commercials(one of my favorite features.) Overall, I think it's great!

The only bad thing---I'm probably watching way too much TV!

(I'm not sure how much it was initially--my b-friend had it prior to us moving in together.)

^^I don't have Direct TV. Ours is an additional $10 or $15 a month, I can't remember which. I just know it's not that much and worth every single penny! And I agree---what the hell did I do before Tivo? What did I do when two things I like were on at once or when I had to be somewhere when America's Next Top Model on? And don't even get me started on commercials!

So in a nutshell SVZ, it is a godsend!

We have some thing my hubby recently set up through our computer. All he had to buy was a special remote for the tv.
    It is a DVR or PVR or something like that. We can also play all our MP3s through this program, and look at all our digital photos on our tv. Press a button and it gives us our local weather forecast. There is some other stuff it does. I do not know how to even work the thing though. But it seems like a good thing.

Lil

I LOVE my Tivo. Gadget Boy husband recently upgraded the hard disk in it so we can store hundreds of hours of TV that we will never watch.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Ok excuse my dumbness but what is tivo exactly? I mean I know you can "record" tv shows etc but is it like a vcr/dvd recorder? I'm assuming a 40 hour recorder mean you can save 40 hours of tv, but what if you want to save a tv show can it be transfered to dvd?

Lil

It is a bit like Sky +, if that helps. It records TV on to a hard disk, you can set it up to record single programmes, book season passes to record a whole series, it learns what kind of programmes you like and will record similar ones for you (sometimes it gets it right, too!). You can search for programmes coming up with a particular actor in as well, or in a particular genre. I like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    It is a bit like Sky +, if that helps.
    I don't know what that is either

Lil

^^Did the description help though?

Tivo is not yet available in Canada as far as I know, but there are other companies that make a similar machine. Bell Express Vu has their PVR which I think stands for personal video recorder.

I live with a wonderful nerd who built us our own. The software is out there somewhere. I can find out more if anyone is interested. I love it. The phone rings and I pause. I let all programs record about 20 minutes in before I start watching so I can zap through commercials.

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable using one of the commercial systems, though. They monitor what you watch and record. Evidently the information is sold to advertisers. Remember the Janet Jackson boob fiasco when many people suddenly discovered that Tivo knew they were rewinding? It's not that I'm paranoid, it's that I don't want yet more info on my habits being used for goodness knows what nor do I wish to be inundated by mass marketings based on my viewing profile.

I have DVR at home, through Comcast cable. I hated coming to school where it is just normal tv and you can't set up DVR. I love my ability to rewind and fast forward through shows. My family actually timed it that if you set an hour long show to record on DVR and start watching the recording about 12 or 13 minutes into the show, you will catch up to the show right at the end, so it doesn't overlap with anything you might have wanted to watch next, but you can still skip the commercials. Yeah, we're big nerds

Eli

I am so excited, I am going to buy TiVo today. I'm practically frothing at the mouth. I've been talking about this ever since the day before seeing War of the Worlds (casually mentioned it to a friend, got obsessed, and then laughed when it was mentioned in the movie).
    I hope there isn't some lame sort of connection shit you have to sit down and write and have people come to your house to set up with, like cable. That would suck. I just want to buy it like a VCR, go home and plug it into my LCD.

Funny thing is, I don't watch a single show on TV at the moment, I'm hoping that by getting this and having it record shows without my having to be there, I'll be encouraged to watch more shows I normally wouldn't watch, only when I want to. Will make taping shows I can't be stuffed watching a LOT easier...

We have DVR through dish network. Pretty much just like TiVo. I love DVR. Especially for recording stuff late at night when I am sleeping, forwarding through commercials, searching for different shows, etc. It will record all episodes of a certain show, only record the new shows and so on.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I had TiVo and switched to DirecTV's DVR. They work about the same but TiVo's menu is easier as far as checking season passes etc.

Wouldn't trade that technology for the world!!!

I really don't watche TV during the week. I can usually fit it all in a Saturday afternoon. Or sometimes I save a series and have marathons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information