Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books on film

Default Books on film

I just finished a book called Then She Found Me by Elinor Lipman. It was great. It was just wonderful. Set in Boston (as most of her books are), about the adopted daughter of Holocaust survivors whose birth mother flies into her life after their deaths. The protagonist, April, is a high school Latin teacher who begins an unlikely but very, very touching and real and sweet romantic relationship with Dwight Willamee, the school's librarian.

This book was marvelous. I found out it's being made--or was made and is being released soon--into a movie. Written, directed, and starring f*cking Helen Hunt. She changed the book completely.

April is now a woman whose husband left (in the book, April was never married), oh and, yeah, she lives in New York of course, because life only happens in New York, right? And she begins a relationship with a man named Frank who is the father of one of her students. And he is played by....guess who? Colin F*cking Firth.

I'm really angry. And taking this really personally. But the character of Dwight Willamee and the romantic story of April and Dwight was so moving and so hopeful and so beautiful.....it's insulting that they would turn it into some stupid rom-com with Firth....especially as Dwight is supposed to be unconventional and almost homely, but who has a charm and a goodness which makes him extremely attractive.

This adaptation is going to suck donkey balls.

Then I thought about books on film in general.

What do you think are the best film adaptations of books? My favorite is To Kill a Mockingbird, perhaps the best book-on-film ever. It was absolutely perfect. It is exactly like the book, in every way. I also think L.A. Confidential, which kept the integrity and style and grit of the novel it was based upon and the casting was nearly perfect, except for Basinger.

Your take?

A*O

I agree that film adaptations of books are usually craptastic either because they mess about with the plot too much, or totally miscast (my all time hate on that score is Julie Christie as Bathsheba Everdene in the otherwise flawless Far From The Madding Crowd). I agree with To Kill A Mockingbird (I heart Gregory Peck anyway) and I loved the LA Confidential movie (never read the book so I can't comment). The Shawshank Redemption movie is actually BETTER than the book IMO.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I nearly collasped with grief after finding out Tom Hanks was going to ruin The Da Vinci Code. And he did-he should never have gotten that part!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Have to agree on Shawshank. I'd also add The Color Purple to that. There are far more books to movies that just failed outright. Da Vinci Code is one. Children of Men- UGH.

I am horrified that "Love in the Time of Cholera" is now a movie. It's going to suck. There's no way it can live up to the book.

^Especially since the two main characters don't even KISS until the end, when they're old, let alone have mad passionate sex.

Off topic, I think I'm in love with the character of Dwight Willamee.

Quote Originally Posted by birdmadgirl View Post
    I am horrified that "Love in the Time of Cholera" is now a movie. It's going to suck. There's no way it can live up to the book.
    Oh boy, everytime I go to the movies (about once a week) I've seen a preview for that and usually myself or the person I'm with die laughing and then start making up titles for movies that'd be fitting today such as "Love in the Time of MRSA". Probably not really as funny as we think it is but, w/e.

Anyway, I'm not a big literature buff but I have to say that they've just revealed that Helen McCroy is going to play Narcissa Malfoy in the new HP movie and I'm not happy with this. I always imagined Narcissa as this beautiful, blonde, trophy wife of Lucius and this woman is old, weathered and brunette (I know they can change hair color but, ugh). I was really disappointed in the way OOTP was put together visually and now I'm already facing disappointment with HBP. The first movies were promising and it seems now they're just rushing them out and they're turning into the traditional book to film crap.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Oh yeah! I couldn't believe it when I saw the trailer.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I loved House of the Spirits as a book (Isabel Allende). It was fabulous. But they destroyed it in the film version. Not even the all-star cast could save it. It wasn't movie adaptable either. Too many subplots and long timespan. Several of her other books would have been better. (Of Love and Shadows was made into a film, but went without notice, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    I always imagined Narcissa as this beautiful, blonde, trophy wife of Lucius and this woman is old, weathered and brunette (I know they can change hair color but, ugh).
    I agree. I have this cold, blonde, drop-dead gorgeous Narcissa in my head--and this actress is not what I had in mind.

The movie version of The Namesake was just as good as the book.

I'm really worried about The Golden Compass. His Dark Materials are excellent books!

I think it's easier with non-fiction.

Charlie Wilsons War was an excellent book too but from the previews the movie looks decent even with Julia Roberts.

Into the Wild was a great adaptation.

Good adaptations that come to mind:

Fight Club
    Clockwork Orange
    American Psycho
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Wizard of Oz
    Gone with The Wind
    Little Children
    Election

The Worst:
    All the Kings Men(Sean Penn version)
    Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy
    Too many Stephen King books to list (except Misery, Stand By Me, Shawshank and Delores Claiborne)
    Bonfire of the Vanities
    Cold Mountain
    The Hours(actually the book sucked too)
    Last edited by KristiB; November 12th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.

PS I Love You by Cecilia Aherne.

It's about a woman in her early 20s, Holly, whose husband Gerry dies of brain cancer at a very early age. Gerry realized he was dying, and secretly wrote a series of letters to Holly which he arranged to be delivered, one each month, to Holly after his death. Together with her friends Sharon and Denise, and her big, crazy family, Holly learns to cope with Gerry's death and pick up the pieces.

Holly is described as being a cute, bubbly blonde in her early 20s. In the movie, she's being played by Hilary Swank. That casting decision alone ruins it for me. There are a lot of other things they've changed as well.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

WHAT?!?!?!?! I've found similarities in all of the characters in his books... they're all his crazy family members!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    PS I Love You by Cecilia Aherne.
    Holly is described as being a cute, bubbly blonde in her early 20s. In the movie, she's being played by Hilary Swank. That casting decision alone ruins it for me. There are a lot of other things they've changed as well.
    Like there aren't any cute bubbly blondes in their early 20s they could have chosen. I think Kelli Pickler would have been a good choice if she were an actress. Kate Hudson probably turned it down.

I agree. To Kill a Mockinbird is really the best book on film. I love love love the book. I must have read the book at least 15 times and seen the movie countless times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information