Thread: Into the Wild

Thumbs up Into the Wild

I saw this movie recently, and it was an amazing movie lovingly directed by Sean Penn (I think he is so underrated as a director). It's based on the true story of a young college graduate, alienated from society (mostly his parents) who decides to get away from it all. It is kind of like a road trip movie with a lot of meaningful scenes and dialogue, and memorable characters.

In this day and age of things happening in the world, and all these spoiled woe is me celebuturds, I think Christopher's story really strikes a chord with a lot of people. We were around the same age when he went on his journey.

There were many scenes that were so moving, it made me cry. The ending especially is poignant and heartbreaking when he realizes the things in life that are really important to all of us. Emile is an incredible young actor, and here he reminds me of a cross between leonardo dicaprio and jack black.

Highly recommended.

We had to read this book in HS, it was amazing. I need to find a theater that's showing it in my area. I agree that Sean Penn is underrated, I just love him. And don't even get me started on Emile, he is pure hotness!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Sean Penn was on Oprah the other day..I know, but it passes the afternoon and she had nothing but praise for Sean Penn and the movie...she said it was every bit as good as the book and that is unusual...I think I may need to read the book first....

Just finished reading the book. I haven't seen the movie yet but really want to. I really enjoyed the book, quite sad actually.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I love Sean Penn, think he is a acting and directing genius. But having lived in snowy mountains, and high deserts for a large part of my life, I hope that this movie does not lead unexperienced people to go and unwittingly commit suicide in the woods, when they think they are going to live and be enlightened. Going to live in the wilderness, and going to die in the wilderness are two different things altogether. Yet they are the same. Everybody lives, and everybody dies. It is hoped that everybody has some control over how they live and die. But so often, people go out into the wilderness, and it is not what they think that it will be. They strive to return, or to become magically enlightened, and are not able to, because they are book-star-struck and don't know what they are really up against. They just become cold, hungry, thirsty, weak, and desperate. And die alone and frightened, often injured, leaving letters or notes for their loved ones to maybe find. The Into The Wild guy was an abberation and has been romanticized. People who die happily in the Wilderness have lived in the Wilderness sucessfully for quite a while, it is their Home, and it everyone's right to die at Home. People who just start out into the Woods because of a legend or a movie will not die at Home. They will die among strangers. JMHO.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Oh, crap, Just go into the woods and starve to death if you fucking feel like it.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

I just saw this movie. I thought it was beautiful filmmaking by Sean Penn. And i agree that Emile Hirsch is pure hotness. I can't wait to see what he looks like in about 10 years (he's a little young for my taste right now). I'm not sure how i feel about the main character, Chris. I think he was very ill prepared and definitely naive, but there is just something about this story that touched me. I had to buy the book afterwards, so i could get more details.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing! 10 songs by Eddie Vedder.

Necro Thread

Just watching this now, loving it sooooo much. The soundtrack is beautiful, I love Eddie Vedder.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Elite Member

Loved this movie.

This was so incredibly beautiful and good! I loved it.

It really is a beautiful movie isn't it? I loved it.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

fgg

loved the book. saw the movie and loved it too. i cried like a baby!

awww, i loved this flick, too. i want to tear up just thinking of it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

LOVED this movie and the soundtrack by
    Eddie Vedder!

Petunia Pearl

Thread Information