Thread: Disney Bans Smoking

Default Disney Bans Smoking

Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday became the first major Hollywood studio to ban depictions of smoking, saying there would be no smoking in its family-oriented, Disney-branded films and it would "discourage" it in films distributed by its Touchstone and Miramax labels.

Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger also said in a letter to U.S. Rep. Edward Markey, whose committee last month held hearings on the effects of movie images on children, that the studio would place anti-smoking public service announcements on DVDs of any future films that feature cigarette smoking.
    He said the company would encourage theater owners to show screen anti-smoking public service announcements, or PSAs, before such films.

Iger cautioned, however, that "cigarette smoking is a unique problem and this PSA effort is not a precedent for any other issue."

Markey described Disney's commitment as "groundbreaking" and urged other studios to follow suit.
    Dr. Cheryl Healton, president and CEO of the American Legacy Foundation, commended Disney's move but said the studio left "some ambiguity about what would happen in relation to Touchstone and Miramax."

Research cited by American Legacy, a nonprofit created out of landmark litigation between the tobacco industry and states attorneys general, shows that 90 percent of all films depict smoking and children with the highest exposure to smoking in movies were

nearly three times more likely to start smoking.
    Tobacco is featured in three-quarters of G, PG and PG-13 rated movies and 90 percent of R-rated movies, the studies showed. The independent Weinstein Co. already is using PSAs produced by American Legacy ahead of its films that depict smoking, Healton said.
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

This is weird. Disney is generally an evil corporation, very money-grubbing. Makes me think there's something in it for them, or someone is pressuring them to do this. Maybe it's just a pr stunt to make them look good. Or something. I just don't think it's a genuine effort to mount an anti-smoking campaign.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Give me a break. I thought movies/art were supposed to reflect life, not dictate what someone would like it to be.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I agree that Disney is money grubbing. I also think that going to Disney World/Land is the most freaking fun in the world. My hubby and I drop between $3 - $5G for a 7 day vacation. That's including hotel, flight, dog boarding, food, souvenirs and alcohol. We love it though and as long as our money permits we'll be there. As for the smoking in movies. Who gives a shit. Disney movies are mostly geared toward kiddies. Besides, you don't see SpongeBob or Strawberry Shortcake puffing on a cig.

Thread Information