Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freaks & Geeks

Eli

Default Freaks & Geeks

God this has got to be my favourite show ever.
    I've been watching it since, technically, Boxing Day 2000 when I happened to catch it before going to bed at like midnight exactly.
    Anyway, since then I have fallen in love with the entire cast, and crew (writers, etc) and just worship them even though they've aged a lot now.

Recently, that is to say in the past fortnight, I've been leaving the computer on all night and all day to download a file I found that had the entire season of Freaks & Geeks. It finished Sunday morning, and I have to say I've been watching it on my iPod ever since. All 18 episodes, perfectly screening, I've been watching them at work (naughty me) and in the car. I've been so hooked that I've hardly been reading my Harry Potter book. Well TS, F&G is better than HP by a mile.

See, these kind of shows being cancelled after hardly a season is what really annoys me. It has to many die-hard fans, yet doesn't even make it past the first season. And it's good. Boy, it's GOOD. Bordering of amazing. It should have won Emmys, it should have ended in 2005 or something, or even still going now. But no, it ended in 2000. Because people are stupid and would rather watch Big Brother.

Just in case you were wondering, Freaks & Geeks starred many actors who are famous now. I think F&G was a brilliant stepping stone, which I think they'll remember forever.

A few famous people are:

Linda Cardellini (who I heart with all my love; she's on ER and Scooby-Doo)
    Jason Segal (How I Met Your Mother)
    Samm Levine (I think that's how you spell it, he hasn't been on much but he's hilarious)
    Martin Starr (same as above)
    Seth Rogan (Knocked Up, The 40 Year Old Virgin)
    James Franco (duh, Spider-Man, James Dean)
    Busy Philipps (not widely known, but I love her)
    Ben Stiller
    Jason Schwartzman
    David (Gruber) Allen (Gilmore Girls)
    Chauncey Leopardi (Gilmore Girls)

These are just the ones off the top of my head. There's also the girl who plays Millie, who's hilarious. Sarah something.

Anyway if you're ever in the mood for Emmy-Should-Be-Winning teen comedy, check out Freaks & Geeks on youtube, or just download the entire season like I did. It's friggin' funny!

Fantastic show which, unfortunately, never caught on with a lot of people and met an untimely demise, much like My So-Called Life. I think it's great, though, that they put basically the entire F&G cast in every Judd Apatow movie because they're all hilarious, especially that Seth Rogen.

Silver Member

Brilliant series. Hands down one of my favorites of all time. I ended up buying the box set. God, I love this show. Funny, funny.

Eli

I am going to buy the deluxe box-set very soon, I think nearly a decade of negligence from TV sources means I deserve it.

i'm about 7 years too late but i finally got round to watching this, in fact i finished the last episode today and almost felt like crying because there aren't any more. i can't believe people didn't like it when it originally aired. it's too bad it wasn't on cable - maybe then it would have survived. what an amazing show.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Eli

Well don't feel bummed, good thing is it's a show that can be rewatched over and over without losing its appeal.
    Do you have the box set? I got it for Christmas and it's perhaps one of the most choc-filled, excellent box sets I've ever come across.

^^^
    no i don't. i acquired the series through, ahem, entirely legal means. the box set sounds nice though, i just might have to get it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Eli

^^ Got it earlier this year in the same, ahem, legal way.
    I can see why Hilarie Burton carries her box set around with her... even if that is a little extreme.

Gold Member

I just watched the first 3 episodes on youtube.com. Pain in the ass considering the clips are only 9 minutes, but they load fast. I'm really enjoying it and my crush for Seth Rogen grows even more.

It's so sad when good shows end way too soon and we have to keep watching shit like According To Jim for 7 years.

There's a funny part in the DVD commentary of the pilot where Judd Apatow points out the part where he believes he lost their audience and set the stage for cancellation. It's the part where Ben Foster's character (Eli) does the face plant off the bleachers and breaks his arm. He said that the viewers dropped something insanely huge like 50% after that scene aired.

It really was an awesome show, I discovered it sometime last year and really fell in love, it made me so sad that it didn't last more than 1 season. I never really liked James Franco until I watched Freaks & Geeks, same with Jason Segal.

I loved Freaks & Geeks! I must get the DVD. The Halloween episode was by far my favorite, as well as the Bionic Woman Costume!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Eli

"No, these are not Bionic. These are all real."

I also liked when Bill was talking in the high breathy female voice and he goes: "Yes, oh, well, I'm flattered, tee-hee! Uh, eh.... yep. Yep, sorry mom, I'll get off the phone."

I finally got around to watching it. Man, why do networks always manage to fuck over the awesomest shows?

This was exceptional. A realistic depiction of teenagers, hilarious dialogue and a great soundtrack. Such a fucking waste.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

oh, this show was so great! i don't know why people didn't watch it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Eli

Same.
    People compare it to My So-Called Life.
    I don't. MSCL is good (I'm watching it in weekly installments right now) but it's serious, whereas F&G was a realistic teen show that was hilarious. So I think maybe... the first ever dramedy? It certainly made me laugh on more than 50 billion occassions.
    If they relaunched it now, set ten years later, it'd do fine. Assuming the mega-famous company were to return. Let's see, there'd be: Seth Rogen from Knocked Up, Paul Feig from The Office, Judd Apatow from everything, Linda Cardellini from E.R., Jason Segal from HIMYM, James Franco from Spider-Man, Busy Philipps from Dawson's Creek, John Francis Daley from Bones, Samaire Armstrong from The Dirty Sexy Money, Shia LeBeuof from everything...
    Ah, the list goes on. Truly Emmy winning stuff.

That's why whenever I see the name Paul Feig plastered to something, I am immediately compelled to watch it. Oh, err, minus Sabrina.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information