Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hairspray

Default Hairspray

Does anyone else want to see this? I think my boyfriend and I are going tonight- I've never even seen the first one, but I am a John Travolta fan and I love musicals, so I've been dying to see it.

If anyone has already seen it, what did you think?

I haven't seen it yet, but I just HAVE go, also! I have seen so many clips on TV and all look SO great. I love musicals!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I am kinda itching to see this because I am a huge John Waters fan and I loved his Hairspray movie.

And to see John Travolta is killing me, hon. LOL.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Ain't no John Waters in this one unfortunately. The movie suffers for it, instead of having the weird dark Balto-ness it's saccherine slush...

^^^
    yeah that's the impression i get as well. i'm skeptical to say the least. pass.
    southernbelle, if i were you, i'd rent the original and forget this remake. there's no point to hairspray without john waters and divine.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I loved it, and I felt it was totally within the vein of what John Waters would have done if he made this type of movie. You have to remember that it is an entirely separate entity from the John Waters movie, had he made a movie of a musical I think it would have looked something like what this movie did. It was campy and cheesy at times, but fantastic. Plus I really wanted to hate John Travolta and think he was awful, and he didn't entirely suck.

The thing that made me sad was that when John Waters had his cameo at the beginning there were only a handful of people in the theater that recognized who it was and laughed.

^^
    i know what you mean. from what i've seen it's like the whole thing is aimed at people that don't know who john waters is and would probably never go see one of his films. it's john waters light, de-weirded for the masses.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I know I'm not the only person that is frightened our by the casting of Travolta, but I think the cast (for the most part) is promising. I've been known to enjoy musicals and Marc Shaiman wrote the songs, so those will be fantastic. His work with Trey Parker and Matt Stone is hilarious.
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

I have to see it...I'm orginally from Baltimore, so John Waters is in my blood

I heard it kind of sucked. I refuse to see anything with John Travolta in it. He's a big old thetan fat f*ck. Just as I refuse to see anything with Tom Cruise in it either.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

It looks great. It should make lots of money.

We saw it last night and BF and I both loved it. John Travolta was great. I particularly liked the part where he and Christopher Walken dance.

But I do think I'm the only person that actually sympathizes with Amber von Tussel and just didn't see what was so special about Tracy- in fact, I found her kind of obnoxious. She has a crush on Amber's boyfriend, who she relentlessly pursues and eventually steals (no wonder Amber doesn't like her and is mean to her- I would be too), and she sabotages the pageant.

I was under the impression that Tracy was supposed to be an outstanding dancer, and Nikki Blonsky just didn't pull that off for me. Mediocre? Yes. Good? Stretching it. Great? No. I didn't find it believable that Corny Collins would be SO impressed that he'd cast her right then and there.

I won't see it. There is NO good reason to remake this film so soon, it's just a cynical cash-in. I will take Divine and Debbie Harry (original cast) over Travolta and Michelle freakin' Pfeiffer.

i saw it last night and enjoyed it.

john waters makes a quick cameo in it..in the beginning as the flasher.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    But I do think I'm the only person that actually sympathizes with Amber von Tussel and just didn't see what was so special about Tracy- in fact, I found her kind of obnoxious. She has a crush on Amber's boyfriend, who she relentlessly pursues and eventually steals (no wonder Amber doesn't like her and is mean to her- I would be too), and she sabotages the pageant.
    lol i don't think you're supposed to think about it so much. it's just a really silly story, not meant to be taken seriously. and no one sympathises with amber cause she's a nasty bitch
    have you seen the original movie?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information