Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has The Simpsons jumped the shark?

Eli

Default Has The Simpsons jumped the shark?

Forget about the movie next month. This is about the show. I think it's jumped the shark big time.
    I had a discussion with someone about it over at imdb.

Season 1 was very unfunny in my opinion. Barely watchable. You could play them on Nickelodeon because it's pretty boring if you ask me.
    Season 2 picked up a little bit, but was still in that "cute, but not funny" phase.
    Then WOW! Season 3 to 8 were great, where literally every single episode was pure gold. Then season 9 had a few "um" episodes, even if that season was still very good. After that season 10 was a bit lacklustre, and until 2004 or so it became quite possibly the worst television show on the box. And yes, I'm aware of the crap that's on. It was that bad.
    Something picked up in the fall of 2004, because the show became funny again. Nothing compared to the first 8 seasons, oh how I long for that and ultimately mourn like a lost friend, but it's good fun. I don't take the show seriously any more (in the way you took The Simpsons seriously in its prime), I just watch the new episodes because there's nothing else on.
    A few episodes this season have peeked at my "I could watch that again" list, sort of like old times. One for instance is when Homer took Marge to her old childhood island only to discover it was trashed. This had family matters in it and that's what made it work. And Homer wasn't dangerous. My biggest beef with the show.
    I think the movie will be ace, but nothing will ever top the first seasons. I mean, even the deleted scenes of those seasons were a riot!
    "Where's my spittoon!", "You drunken old buzzard", and my favourite: "No! My eczema! It's getting through the cracks!"

As my mother said before it went downhill, "The Simpson writers are geniuses". And she didn't even like the show. She just knew how funny it was.
    The logical answer rather than repeating is simply: It was smart, all the time. Nearly every cell, every shot, had something clever. Now, it's... well... nearing stupidity. Lowering itself to South Park's earlier year could be a way to put it.

I actually prefer the old style animation. The characters were fuller and their eyes were big like they're meant to be. Everything's been "perfected" now and it's gross!

I forgot abou Homer vs. Dignity. That was awful! Homer getting raped by a panda sounds funny, but then I watched it and went "Uhhhh, no." Harry Shearer was right, this show's *beep* now.
    Also that episode where the Koala bear wears a mask at the end- totally *beep* me. It's the worst episode ever. Those writers should be fired. Doesn't Matt Groening care any more? I suppose because he's rich and all...
    Actually I watched a new episode last night where a dragon appeared. In a non-Halloween/storytelling episode. It's officially jumped the shark for me. Matt loved to boast how it was in the realms of possibility. Not any more!

What do you think?
    I think it's missing a few of its hinges. Funny still, sometimes, sure. But gold? No.

To sort of prove what's gone wrong with the show, here's my list of things from the show I DO NOT want in the movie:

1. Homer being a "jerk-ass".

2. The characters being thin and too professional looking, with limited movement.

3. Jokes a three year old could write, in poo on the rug.

4. Lisa and Marge sounding like the voice-actors reading off a sheet of paper, with no direction or sense of the character.

5. A whacky adventure filled with unrealistic proportions galore.

6. Santa's Little Helper turning inside out as a storyline.

7. Mr. Burns not being the '101-year-old, "excellent"' Mr. Burns, but more of the recent '70 year old, stand here, deliver that with wit, charm and naivety!' Mr. Burns.

8. The family not bonding, but rather standing perfectly in place next to one another commenting on a situation in front of them with "this is a bizarre enterprise", or "why would they say -----?"

9. The camera being afraid to be experimental, moving close to characters, around characters, have characters move differently. Let's not just go for the "I have Simpson-puppets on my fingers!" character movements like the show lately, okay?

10. That annoying crazy "fun theme" Alf Clausan came up with that is used in every freakin' episode since 2001.

Sorry if this is long-winded and boring. I'm a hyper mega Simpsons fan!

i agree with you. the simpsons just isn't what it used to be. I don't really get that excited about new episodes now. Here in England they normally show a new episode every sunday but now you kind of know what to expect from the Simpsons. Before there used to be story lines, actual witty, entertaining, hilarious plots. Now it just feels like it's just 25mins of one liners and stupid gags. I miss the older series'.

I hope the new movie brings back some of that old magic that's missing.

Homer has become too stupid to the point where it's just obnoxious and it makes the show (for me) almost unwatchable.

I don't even watch the new shows, just the old reruns. In fact, I even cut down on how much I watch the reruns because they started adding the newer episodes to the rotation. I'm with you all the way.

I still like it. I will go to the movie. Hey, I can't help it. This show is getting ready to make tv history and becoming the longest running show.

3 to 8 were fucking brilliant.. i missed out on a lot of the references when i was younger, but to see them now it's so acidic.. wonderful! That's when they had conan obrien writing for them, and jon stewart too i believe.

Nowadays, the animation is so... undynamic. It's like they cut out the effort in doing it, the characters are so stiff. Marge doesn't have any humor left in her, she's just there to say really forced grumbles.

Lisa used to be hilarious, and now just spits out a line or 2 contrary to what homer says.

It's gotten so.. stuffy.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i havent watched the Simpsons since they were on Tracy Ullman
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I don't know, I haven't watched it in YEARS, so I guess, from my POV, they jumped at least 5-7 years ago.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I still love the show. Best tv show ever, IMO.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I'm a casual fan and have seen episodes here and there. I haven't notice any difference in quality, really. I totally loved the movie. I guess I'm easy to please

I think they're getting better with age. The jokes are more drastic and the characters evolve optically. I love the more sophisticated drawing and the out of control plotlines.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Eh. Like anything it'll run its course. The writers are brilliant though, and I imagine it's not a job the actors want to give up.

I thought the movie was very disappointing. They could have done SO much more with it on the big screen, but it was just like any other episode, except for the fact that it was 2 hours long. They didn't take a single risk... it was safe, boring, and it peaked during the opening theme song.

Its better as a 20 minute episode.

I prefer South Park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information