Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Desperate Housewives

Default Desperate Housewives

I couldn't find any thread that was just a generic DH thread and not related to a specific issue. I think the show is really declining. Season 1 was great, Season 2 was horrible, and Season 3 was okay. It seems like Marc Cherry has been grasping at straws for storylines.
    I'll break down my issues with the show by character:

Susan- They need to find something better for her to do than constantly fall down or embarrass herself. It was funny once or twice, but now it's really getting old. Julie has been essentially written off of the show, appearing once every month or so. I liked the Julie/Susan interaction and I'm sad that they cut it back to focus on her obsession with Mike and Ian.

Lynette- They've really run this character into the ground. They're getting too dramatic with her storylines. An affair? Getting shot in a hold up? Cancer? She went from being the hilarious, down to earth mom with a tribe of uncontrollable kids to "the dramatic one". Her storylines are starting to bear too much resemblance to a soap opera for my liking.

Gabrielle- I like her relationship with Victor and it disappoints me that Marc Cherry is already setting it up to fail. I'm so tired of seeing every romantic relationship on this show fail. After a while, it reaches a point when it's not shocking anymore- it's expected. I don't get excited about any of the couples anymore because I know it's inevitable that they won't stay together. I'm also tired of the way that infidelity is glamorized.

Bree- Stumbled BIG TIME with George but is making a recovery with Orson. Again, I want to see more of the ultra conservative, judgmental Bree from Season 1. She was hilarious. Now she's just constantly involved in one scandal after another with little to none of the humor.

Edie- I called the last scene coming as soon as I saw the previews of Carlos yelling that he would never trust her again. Judging from other boards, I was one of the few people who wasn't surprised at all.

The writers have turned almost all of these characters in caricatures of themselves. The show has gone from being a dark comedy with frequent, deeply funny moments to a soap opera with an occasional slapstick "oops!! I slipped on a banana peel!!" moment in which Susan falls down and we're expected to think it's hilarious.

i agree I loved this show when it first came out now it's another damn soap
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I think this season was SO much better than the last season. Last season was just ridiculous.

Anyway, I hate, hate, HATE Susan and her daughter is beginning to be exactly like her. Thus, I hate her daughter now too.

I wish the whole Victor thing never happened. I love Carlos and Gabi, they should've just worked their shit out.

I was surprised by Edie, but only because it wasn't in spoilers or anything. It caught me off guard.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

So do you think Edie actually dies or do you think someone will find her in time?

I'm totally torn between Edie dying (which would be a big drama injection that the show needs), and Carlos finding Edie in the nick of time, helping her recover and feeling like he needs to stay with her despite being in love with Gabi.

Gabi and Carlos need to get back together, they were MADE for each other.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Bronze Member

I use to love this show, but now I have gone right off it.

I've never seen an episode. I always flick past it, i just couldn't be bothered.

Meh. This show jumped the shark before the end of the first season. The real nail in the coffin was when Rex died. I don't know anyone who bothers with it anymore
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Eli

We're probably about half way through season 3 so far, but this season is a delight. Bordering on better than season 1, which looking back AIN'T DAT GREAT WIFFOUT DA HYPE. I like Edie's nephew. I don't like Ian. I love Lynette and Bree's storyline this year has just been great.
    I hope the rest of the season is great!

Anyway, about Julie... man is it just me or is the actress who plays her just about the worst actor in the world? Seriously, worse than Hilary Duff. I wish someone would make a bunch of avatars of her different "emotional" facial features and have the words "Happy" or "Sad" or "Hurt" next to them, because that's exactly what she looks like she's thinking in her head.

Wasn't Dougray Scott's character Ian awful? He has this gorgeous scottish accent and he has to go and ruin it and be english!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Eli

Wasn't???
    Yay, he leaves soon! Yes, it's only just now that I've sort of settled down and learnt to "deal" with him... but now that I know he's going, woo-hoo!

Hit By Ban Bus!

the first season was great but it went right down after that. i might see it in bits and pieces now but i'm not really a tv person anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Meh. This show jumped the shark before the end of the first season. The real nail in the coffin was when Rex died. I don't know anyone who bothers with it anymore

I think Rex was killed off too early. His character was interesting and the marriage with Bree could've been developed ..but it was just ended abruptly.

The first season was worth watching, the past two I have been disappointed with.

Eli

Reex shit me. His voice... argh! And he tied Bree down. I think now that she's with Orson it's meant to be.

I've watched bits and pieces of this and feel that I'd like it if I'd watched all of it... as it stands I generally have no clue what's going on.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information