Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michael Moore's new film Sicko cheered at Cannes

Default Michael Moore's new film Sicko cheered at Cannes

CBC.ca Arts - Michael Moore's Sicko gets audience thumbs-up at Cannes
    Michael Moore's Sicko gets audience thumbs-up at Cannes
    Last Updated: Saturday, May 19, 2007 | 3:44 PM ET
    CBC Arts

The premiere of Sicko, Michael Moore's scathing documentary about the U.S. health-care system, received enthusiastic applause from an audience packing the 2,000-seat theatre at the Cannes Film Festival on Saturday.

Moore's controversial movie doesn't open until late June, but was screened Saturday at the French festival.

Variety magazine calls Sicko an "entertaining and affecting dissection of the American health-care industry," and Stephen Schaefer of the Boston Globe wrote Sicko is "a very strong and very honest documentary about a health system that's totally corrupt and that is without any care for its patients."

The 53-year-old filmmaker, who won an Academy Award for Bowling for Columbine in 2002, is a favourite of the festival, which bestowed him with the prestigious Palme d'Or in 2004 for Fahrenheit 911.

Sicko has already landed the controversial filmmaker in hot water. The documentary contains scenes of Moore taking several Sept. 11 rescue workers to Cuba to get free medical care. The U.S. Treasury Department is investigating Moore for breaking the U.S. trade and travel embargo against Cuba.

Moore claims it wasn't a publicity stunt.

"I'm the one who's personally liable for potential fines or jail, so I don't take it as lightly," said Moore, who added that he had to spirit a master copy of the film to another country out of fears the American government might seize it.
    Movie is a 'call to action'

In Sicko, Moore features stories of Americans, who have been refused vital treatment and are facing financial ruin because of the U.S. health-care system. The director also travels to Britain, Canada and France to highlight each country's public health system.

'Why would we allow nearly 50 million Americans to go without any kind of health coverage …?"—Michael Moore

"The bigger issue in the film is, 'Who are we as a people?'" Moore said at a news conference in Cannes.

"Why would we allow nearly 50 million Americans to go without any kind of health coverage … That's not America. That's not the America I want to see exist."

Moore said he went to Cuba because government officials claimed that terror suspects being held at Guantanamo, the U.S. naval base in Cuba, were receiving first-rate health care.

"The point was not to go to Cuba but to go to America, to go to American soil … being in Cuba was just an accident in a sense," he said.

In the movie, the filmmaker demands through a megaphone that Guantanamo officials accept eight Americans, including three Ground Zero rescue workers, for medical care. He then takes them to a Cuban hospital where they are treated free of charge.

John Graham, who was working near the Twin Towers when the planes crashed into the buildings, spent 31 hours helping out initially, and returned for several months to sift through the carnage.

Graham was later diagnosed with lung problems, burns on his esophagus, chronic sinusitis and post-traumatic stress disorder. He stopped working in 2004, split from his wife and can barely keep up with support payments.

The Cuban hospital provided Graham with five days of medical tests as well as medication for his reflux problems.

"I think when Americans see this they are not going to focus on Cuba or Fidel Castro," Moore said. The director says he wants Sicko to be a "call to action."

"We are never going to have real change in the United States if the public doesn't see that it will only happen when they rise up out of their theatre seats and do something about it."

Moore held a private showing on May 15 in New York City for 9/11 emergency workers.
    With files from the Associated Press

I really want to see this film. I know a lot of people dislike Michael Moore but I personally think he does a good job.

Michael Moore disgusts me. His "documentaries" have been proven to contain inaccurate and occasionally completely falsified statements and information. Many of the interviews featured in his movie are heavily edited and/or spliced to significantly alter their meanings. He lacks credibility and tact.

I don't have a problem with people having liberal political beliefs, but I have a problem with the way in which he expresses his beliefs and the extreme and inappropriate measures he takes to "prove" his points. He's ignorant, obnoxious, and dishonest and I have no respect for him or any of his work.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I agree with you SuuthernBelle, it's just that right-wingers and Republicans do it too. It's despicable no matter who does it, and it's done a lot by both sides. The difference is that generally speaking liberals are on the side of the common man and right-wingers are on the side of corporate big business and wealthy people who take tax breaks they don't need that keep them wealthy for posterity. Although there are liberals who fit that category though. Not as many, however.

Elite Member

I look forward to seeing this movie too. I know Moore has a tendancy to rub people the wrong way with his tactics, but there's no denying his message is always loud and clear and his point is often made.

We're fortunate here in Canada to have a system that provides universal coverage of medically necessary services based on ones needs rather than their ability to pay. Oh the irony that one of the richest countries in the world cannot afford to care for its citizens. God Bless America!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Oh the irony that one of the richest countries in the world cannot afford to care for its citizens. God Bless America!
    Instead of CAN not, it's actually WILL not.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Instead of CAN not, it's actually WILL not.
    Sorry - that's what I meant to imply - will not care for its citizens. Thanks for catching!

why provide when people can pay, often to their own detriment.

On top of that, anybody who willingly votes republican seems like a sick creature to me.. the party of religious intolerance, racism, bigotry, corruption, hypocrisy, theocracy and hate... oh right, and pedophilia.

but hey, tax breaks are good, who cares about any kind of morality or ethics or you know.. humanity...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I love how the U.S. government is now going after him for breaking the ridiculous embargo on Cuba. Maybe they should prosecute Shwarzenegger who brags openly about smoking Cuban cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    I look forward to seeing this movie too. I know Moore has a tendancy to rub people the wrong way with his tactics, but there's no denying his message is always loud and clear and his point is often made.

We're fortunate here in Canada to have a system that provides universal coverage of medically necessary services based on ones needs rather than their ability to pay. Oh the irony that one of the richest countries in the world cannot afford to care for its citizens. God Bless America!
    I'm looking forward to see it as well. Some things about Moore are bothersome, but he does bring attention to issues. The status of health care in America is disgusting. The "haves" couldn't care less if the "have nots" go without. I'm glad he's shedding some light on the issue. I'm doubtful that it will change anything though, unfortunately.

Even at his most "disgusting", Moore can never sink to the level of the Repug liars and rightwing corrupt rogues that have done one tremendous job: take down the USA and leave it as a smoldering heap for others to restore to something good again
    We need more Moore's!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I was reading in the Post that he had to have this film sent to some third world country so the govt didnt destroy it ect. it was probably all propoganda set of by him himself.

I HATE michael moore. i dont see the good a person such as himself does to our country especially at times like these. yes America perhaps has more skeletons in our closet than anyone else, but so does every country. If he doesnt like it that much, then he should leave.

I so HATE hearing foreigners say America this, and America that, while they are still on AMERICAN soil...it's like SO WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HERE....not hating on foreigners or anything(and i know Michael isint), but still. W'ere having an especially rough patch, and we really dont need the shit thrown in our faces every two seconds. ESPECIALLY with countries the world over dispising us enough to drop nuclear bombs(for good reason or not), and ESPECIALLY by our own citizens.

Im sorry, but im a patriot first, and yes i know about the first Amendment, and that i may piss alot of people off with this post, but seriously....SHUT THE FUCK UP MICHAEL MOORE!
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

I'm not particularly a Moore fan. I took an entire class last semester about him as a filmmaker and it had the opposite of the intended effect. It made me like him less than I did to begin with.

That being said....I do believe he has his place. His tactics may be less than desirable, he can be rude, in your face, completely inappropriate, a hypocrite, etc (the list can go on and on, I've seen more stuff by and about him than most people would want to in an entire lifetime), but at least his films are getting the issues out and getting people to talk about them. The intelligent people will go out and do the research and find out the real facts and that's what he's after. He's said over and over again that he really wants to get people to do SOMETHING. He doesn't want the citizens in this country to continue being as apathetic as they are. He feels there needs to be change, and I don't disagree with him, he's doing his part (however misguided in the way he's doing it) to bring about that change.

I will see this film, as much as it pains me to line his pockets, b/c he's done 2 things that should continue. People start paying attention to the issues he's pushing when he puts out a film, the controversy helps. He's also done a pretty good amount for documentary film as a medium. His documentaries are well put together, and people PAY to see them. That didn't use to be the case, filmmakers would make a documentary and only a small percentage of the population would watch. He paved the way for more documentaries to be considered mainstream film, and I'll support him for that as well.

ETA: He's also a little nicer than he comes across. My university has been teaching a class about him for a few semesters now, and my professor had some mild connections with Moore from when Moore was filming TV Nation in Chicago (long story, basically my prof made a documentary about the person who invented barbed wire, somehow Moore got ahold of it, invited the film department from the university to a taping of the show and had them sit in the front row-the prof thinks he wanted to make fun of him for it b/c it's such a boring topic, but he was unable to go to the taping, it was students only). He called Moore's production company asking him to do a speaking engagement for the class, Moore was genuinely shocked that a university was teaching a course on him, but couldn't make it b/c he was deep in production of Sicko. Instead he had a 2 hour conference call with the students in the class and answered any questions they had for him. I don't care what anyone says, I can't think of very many people in his position who would have done the same, especially with the reputation he has.
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; May 21st, 2007 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I was reading in the Post that he had to have this film sent to some third world country so the govt didnt destroy it ect. it was probably all propoganda set of by him himself.

I HATE michael moore. i dont see the good a person such as himself does to our country especially at times like these. yes America perhaps has more skeletons in our closet than anyone else, but so does every country. If he doesnt like it that much, then he should leave.

I so HATE hearing foreigners say America this, and America that, while they are still on AMERICAN soil...it's like SO WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HERE....not hating on foreigners or anything(and i know Michael isint), but still. W'ere having an especially rough patch, and we really dont need the shit thrown in our faces every two seconds. ESPECIALLY with countries the world over dispising us enough to drop nuclear bombs(for good reason or not), and ESPECIALLY by our own citizens.

Im sorry, but im a patriot first, and yes i know about the first Amendment, and that i may piss alot of people off with this post, but seriously....SHUT THE FUCK UP MICHAEL MOORE!
    I'm a US citizen living abroad and I think that foreigners have EVERY RIGHT to criticize the US, if only because it's due to US arrogance that many of these countries are now living in peril! It's about time that the US lets go of some of its arrogance and natural assumption that we're the best, because we simply ain't.
    And I'm sorry, but I'm a patriot too and I HATE how the repugs (Chimpy McSmirkface first) hijacked the terms "patriot" and "patriotism" in their "if you're not with us, you're against us" black and white, totally unrealistic line of "thinking" It's their sense of "patriotism" that has turned the US more and more into an island in the world. Bad, bad, bad.
    Last edited by HWBL; May 21st, 2007 at 06:14 AM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I can't stand Michael Moore- he is so obnoxious- but I have no doubt that he makes some very good points in this film. I can't imagine living in a country without socialized medicine and being uninsured. Health problems are enough of a hardship without adding bankruptcy into the mix.

And Sophie, patriotism does not mean one has be be blind to the faults of ones country. No country is perfect. You can still love your country and want to live there, while at the same time wishing an awful lot of things would change.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information