Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great reviews for Lindsay Lohan in 'Georgia Rules'

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Great reviews for Lindsay Lohan in 'Georgia Rules'

I'm pretty much alone around here with my liking La Lohan, but I'm glad the girl is using her talent, of which I think she has piles.

'Georgia Rule," in which Jane Fonda washes Lindsay Lohan's mouth out with soap, might easily have been a tepid, sudsy puddle of easy sentiment and soft comedy. Three generations of women - Fonda and Lohan are Georgia and Rachel, grandmother and granddaughter, with Felicity Huffman in between them as Lilly, Georgia's daughter and Rachel's mom - fuss, fail to communicate and, in the end, forgive one another. Small-town values triumph over flashy big-city California relativism, as happens exclusively (and frequently) in Hollywood movies. You've seen it all before.

Except that you haven't quite. From the opening scene, which catches Huffman and Lohan bickering on a lonely stretch of road near the Idaho state line, "Georgia Rule," directed by Garry Marshall from a script by Mark Andrus, swerves and spins, taking its predictable plot in some surprising directions. Working against its maudlin impulses with lively humor, and at the same time undercutting its laughs with some hard, ugly themes, this movie is neither a standard weepie nor a comforting dramedy. It's an interesting, maddening mess - not a terrible movie, and by no means a dull one.

With "Pretty Woman" (1990), Marshall pulled off the unlikely, somewhat distasteful feat of turning prostitution into a pretext for romantic bliss. If anything, this film pushes such incongruity even further, using the sexual abuse of a girl by her stepfather - a crime alleged, denied and affirmed in a dizzying series of reversals and revisions - as fodder for domestic farce as well as therapeutic melodrama. The man who brought us "Laverne and Shirley" ventures into territory better suited to Todd Solondz, and, as you might imagine, he has some trouble finding a consistent and appropriate tone.

But the incoherence of the movie, which opens in the United States, Australia and Puerto Rico this week and in some parts of Europe in August and September, is a sign of life, evidence of an emotional energy percolating beneath the glib surface. The source of that vitality lies with the actors, and with Marshall's inclination to give them space and time to explore their characters' idiosyncrasies.

Huffman, playing uptight as easily as she plays drunk, does well with the least sympathetic of the three principal roles, a woman who must incarnate the worst attributes of filial rebellion and maternal rigidity. And Dermot Mulroney is quiet and wry as a small-town veterinarian who also treats human patients, and who serves as an all-purpose shoulder to cry on, in spite of his own grief.

But the movie really belongs to Fonda and Lohan, actresses whose formidable skill is often underestimated and overshadowed by off-screen notoriety. Lohan in particular has been subjected recently to the prurient, punitive gaze of an Internet gossip culture that takes particular delight in the humiliation of young women with shaky discipline and an appetite for fun. The joke in "Georgia Rule" is that she is playing a version of her tabloid persona: a needy, reckless young woman whose self-confidence verges on self-destructive. The surprise is that she does it with such poise and intelligence. As written, Rachel is complicated to the point of contradiction: lost child, femme fatale, brainiac and brat squeezed into a series of short dresses. Somehow, Lohan connects these disparate, clashing elements into a single convincing performance.

At the start of the movie, Rachel is on her way from San Francisco to Hull, Idaho, for a summer under the supervision of her grandmother. Georgia runs her own life (and everyone else's) according to strict standards from which she tolerates little deviation. Fonda's straight back and piercing eyes, the righteous jaw line she inherited from her father and the reputation for humorlessness all serve her well here, but it is her warmth and comic timing that make Georgia more than a provincial scold.

Rachel, similarly, evades easy caricature. She's neither a tramp nor a victim. Her initial predatory interest in a local hunk named Harlan (Garrett Hedlund) turns chaste once she discovers his vulnerability. Her own is fairly evident, especially once she casually drops the accusation that Lilly's husband, Arnold (Cary Elwes), a rich lawyer, molested her when she was younger.

This news is really too much for the movie to assimilate, especially given its generally lighthearted take on Rachel's sexuality, but "Georgia Rule" is nonetheless trying to acknowledge the awful as well as the amusing dimensions of experience in a way that very few mainstream comedies would dare. It doesn't succeed, but there is nonetheless something admirable and honest in the effort.

'Georgia Rule': Dramedy with some surprising heft - International Herald Tribune
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Lohan in particular has been subjected recently to the prurient, punitive gaze of an Internet gossip culture that takes particular delight in the humiliation of young women with shaky discipline and an appetite for fun.
    Oh give me a fucking break, right there the article veered off the rails and killed everyone on board.

She doesn't have "shaky discipline", she has NO DISCIPLIN.. she's a party whore who enjoys flashing her snatch. She doesn't have an appetite for fun, she has an appetite for being on coke, booze, or whatever else she can shove down her gullet.

Apologist crap.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oy! Simmer down there! I'm her sole defender and will slap you silly if you denigrate her again!

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I can acknowledge her talent, but the fact remains she's a coke addled, foul mouthed anorexic drunk and attempting to poo-poo that is just plain silly.

She's also a firecrotch
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Eh, I remember being her age and I'm pretty sure if I had been famous and under the scrutiny she's under, I'd have been labeled:
    coke addled, foul mouthed anorexic drunk
    , plus a few other choice things to add spice to the mix.

--Sinclair Lewis

I admit, I see sparks of talent in Lindsay. Whether she ever fulfills that potential is another story. I say she's dead within 2 years.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Bite your tongue, missy! Something about this girl appeals to me--I don't know why--and I see her coming out of the crazy phase and doing some great work. She's different from the rest of the pack of 'starlets' in that she actually does have talent and a future, if she chooses to go for it.

--Sinclair Lewis

Silver Member

She seems to have finally lived up to her potential......hopefully she will cut out the crap now and focus on her acting. Go LiLo

I don't think she's any different from the Scarlett or Britney ....
    just another snatch flashing party whore....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Scarlett is a good comparison, Scarlett shows flashes of talent sometimes too, but has yet to live up to her potential. Maybe if she got her head out of her own cleavage, she could make something happen.

Brit, well she never had any talent other than dancing. She can't quite compare.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

how is that a great review? i saw a preview of her in the movie and i think she's so awkward and unfortunate on screen. but i haven't actually ever seen any of her crap-fest "movies"

Hit By Ban Bus!

Post Mick LaSalle of SF Chronicle writes scathing review

"This movie is ugly -- this family is ugly -- and the fact that Fonda and Huffman are first-rate actresses almost makes it worse. It's not just that their talents are being wasted. Even worse, it's that their talents threaten to make the lie that is "Georgia Rule" intermittently seductive. The whole frame, the whole construct, everything about the film is false, yet they give off little sparks of truth."

" 'Georgia Rule' " is as weird and discordant as Lohan's screen presence. It's a creepy, tone-deaf movie about three generations of women, with Jane Fonda as the grandmother, Felicity Huffman as the mother and Lohan as a thoroughly repellent teenager. Actually, a repellent teenager might have been interesting, except that director Garry Marshall and screenwriter Mark Andrus don't acknowledge that she's repellent. Neither do they acknowledge that Lohan looks less like a kid and more as if she should be singing "The Man That Got Away" in an empty cabaret somewhere."

Entire review here:
    One big happy family, sans the happy

Fonda sure made me want to see it based on her interview with Larry King the other night. Now, not so sure.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

that Lohan looks less like a kid and more as if she should be singing "The Man That Got Away" in an empty cabaret somewhere."

Rosamund

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Oy! Simmer down there! I'm her sole defender and will slap you silly if you denigrate her again!

I like her too I don't quite understand why some attack her so virulently.

I think theres a reasonably good chance she will clean up her act. She's only 20.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I like her acting skills from what little I've seen, and she can be attractive (with red hair) but she'd better slow down or she will have serious problems and/or a possible kickthebucket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information