Thread: Reality TV show sends fat kids hunting with Aborigines

Default Reality TV show sends fat kids hunting with Aborigines

Reality TV show sends fat kids hunting

By Alison Godfrey
    April 14, 2007 12:00

A BRITISH reality television program to be filmed in Australia this winter will force fat children to hunt for food with Aborigines.

In Fat Kids Can't Hunt 10 fat youngsters will live with Aboriginal tribesmen in Australia for a month.

If the children want to eat, they must follow the strict rules of the Aborigines, eating plants, grasses and fruits as well as trapping, killing and cooking any animals or insects they find.

If they do not eat the bush tucker, they go hungry.

Made by made by Big Brother producer Endemol, Fat Kids Can't Hunt is designed to help overweight children tackle overeating problems

It follows a similar BBC3 program earlier this year called Fat Men Can't Hunt which sent obese men into the desert in Namibia.

Producer Bridget Sneyd told the Sun: “Britain has the fattest teenagers in Europe with one in three overweight or obese. Doctors warn that if we don’t tackle this problem, generations of kids face a drastic reduction in the quality and longevity of their lives.

“This experiment gives our teenagers a unique opportunity to address their dysfunctional relationship with food once and for all before they reach adulthood.”

But critics have slammed the plan with medical experts calling the show "voyeuristic".
    Reality TV show sends fat kids hunting | The Daily Telegraph

Hmmm....

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sounds pretty mean to me and not helpful in any way. Do they expect that these kids will eat like Aborigines when they return home? So they may lose a few pounds during the show, but they'll probably gain twice as much when they get back. I don't know about them, but I'd be one binging mofo once I got around regular food again.

They're young and potentially impressionable enough that maybe this could have a positive effect on at least one of them, and change the way they look at (i.e. their 'relationship' with) food.

Unless you're talking about the voyeurism part of their experience being taped and viewed by others, I don't see what's so mean about actually putting them in what's a normal everyday situation for someone else. I'm sure it won't be without any instruction.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yes, I am talking about the voyeuristic aspect of it. Even the name of the show indicates to me that these kids are put there to be laughed at. I think it's ridiculous and unlikely to have any positive lont-term effect. But who knows.

This is ridiculous. Fat kids can't hunt, and neither can skinny kids , nor can most of the world's population. What on earth could they possibly learn and adapt to their own lives by killing animals and eating bugs? How do kids sign up for this anyway? Don't they need parent permission? What happens when the show airs and they get recognized in the streets, "Hey aren't you that fat kid who ate a grub that squirted all over your face when you bit it???"

Sounds like in theory, you'll teach the kids skills and they'll learn to tackle anything, yadda-yadda-yadda. But in reality, they'll just starve for a couple weeks and come back home and pig out.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

ugh, this shouldn't be a tv show.

so wrong but it made me laugh.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The fat kids should hunt the Aborigines.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Ouch!

Eli

That's insane. I am so glad I'm getting pay TV because I refuse to even see the ads when it comes on.
    Besides, everyone in Australia knows that the only decent Aborigines are the ones who still live in the bush. All the others are money-hungry Centrelink bogans who live in half-way houses and would gladly rob a mother for some drugs. (Well, not all- just the ones you see on the news)

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    so wrong but it made me laugh.
    Same here.

I'd totally watch it!

Thread Information