Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Former child TV stars who have it together

Elite Member

Default Former child TV stars who have it together

We hear so much about former child TV stars who are struggling through adulthood and in and out of rehab. What former child TV stars come to mind when you think about someone who has come through it all mostly unscathed and are leading pretty productive (and sane) lives?

I think of:

Candace Cameron-Bure (Full House)
    Lisa Welchell (The Facts of Life)
    Melissa Gilbert (Little House on the Prairie)
    Joey Lawrence (Blossom)
    Danica McKeller (The Wonder Years)

Elijah Wood

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think there are lots more together ones than not together, but I get your point.

Paul Petersen's site (Jeff Stone on The Donna Reed Show) Former Child Star Central: Roll Call

David Faustino was together when I met him through a class at church a few years ago. Don't know about now, but I would think he is.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I think there are lots more together ones than not together, but I get your point.

Paul Petersen's site (Jeff Stone on The Donna Reed Show) Former Child Star Central: Roll Call

David Faustino was together when I met him through a class at church a few years ago. Don't know about now, but I would think he is.
    Is David the actor from Married with Children? For some reason, I'd presumed he'd be much like his character on the show. If he's not, it goes to show what a convincing actor he is.

Bronze Member IxHEARTxHOLLYWOOD's Avatar

Jamie Lynn Spears.
    She hasn't followed in her sisters footstep's, yet...
    Hopefully she wount!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Is David the actor from Married with Children? For some reason, I'd presumed he'd be much like his character on the show. If he's not, it goes to show what a convincing actor he is.
    He's an extremely regular guy, very personable, a together person who was involved in figuring out ways to be of service to the church and the community. I liked him.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    He's an extremely regular guy, very personable, a together person who was involved in figuring out ways to be of service to the church and the community. I liked him.
    Wow - that's really great to hear. My whole impression of him has changed. (Isn't typecasting terrible?)

I agree that Elijah Wood is another great example....and Jaime Lynn Spears. I just hope she's not too influenced by Britney...especially since they're so close.

I've wondered sometimes whether child actors making the transition to well adjusted adults depends a great deal on the mentality of their parents and their upbringing. If the parent(s) are living their dream through their famous child, they may be more focussed on their own semi-fame than whether what's going on is appropriate for their child. If the child is treated like their parents' gravy train, that would probably put a lot of unhealthy pressure on a child. And if the parents are wrapped up into the money and crazy lifestyle, they seem to overlook their child's unhealthy, illegal, immoral lifestyle choices. Think Dina Lohan, for instance. Even famous celebrity children need their parents to set rules and boundaries that will keep them safe and teach them the lessons they'll need to become well adjusted adults. Celebrity children are still children, and they need their parents to set good examples.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    I've wondered sometimes whether child actors making the transition to well adjusted adults depends a great deal on the mentality of their parents and their upbringing. If the parent(s) are living their dream through their famous child, they may be more focussed on their own semi-fame than whether what's going on is appropriate for their child. If the child is treated like their parents' gravy train, that would probably put a lot of unhealthy pressure on a child. And if the parents are wrapped up into the money and crazy lifestyle, they seem to overlook their child's unhealthy, illegal, immoral lifestyle choices. Think Dina Lohan, for instance. Even famous celebrity children need their parents to set rules and boundaries that will keep them safe and teach them the lessons they'll need to become well adjusted adults. Celebrity children are still children, and they need their parents to set good examples.
    WORD to everything you said lisalucy69. We're seeing now that a lot of these kids who are strugging today attribue many of their problems to their parents and their lack of guidance and greed. Look at poor Gary Coleman. The parents' aren't always to blame though. Oftentimes it's simply getting caught up in the glitz and glamour of Hollywood and having every demand catered to and handed to you on a silver platter. Years later, nobody remembers your name. It has to screw you up. It just has to.

Those who survive it seem to have had some other interests or a desire to pursue their education further - a back up. Look at Jody Foster and Brooke Shields. And there have been some parents out there who keep their kids grounded and don't take the business too, too seriously. It's not an industry I'd ever want my children to pursue.

Paul Walker ... wasn't he a child star in the 1970- 80's??. He seems suprisingly normal and down to earth. Im glad thats he's mature enough to see that there is a world outside of the hollywood lifestyle, i think it is mostly down to the fact that he has other intrests outside of Hollywood, a young daughter and a normal loving supportive family. He may be a below-par actor but i admire him for being so normal and sane and putting his family first instead of fame. Not to mention he's still fuckin HOT!!
    Last edited by sharon_b; March 25th, 2007 at 06:07 PM.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
    Paul Walker ... wasn't he a child star in the 1970- 80's??. He seems suprisingly normal and down to earth. Im glad thats he's mature enough to see that there is a world outside of the hollywood lifestyle, i think it is mostly down to the fact that he has other intrests outside of Hollywood, a young daughter and a normal loving supportive family. He may be a below-par actor but i admire him for being so normal and sane and putting his family first instead of fame. Not to mention he's still fuckin HOT!!
    I had to run to IMDB to find out who he was and recognized him right away. You're right - he does have quite a lengthy filmography - starting back in the mid '80s. I see he even guested on Highway to Heaven, Who's the Boss and my favorite soap, The Young and the Restless.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    I had to run to IMDB to find out who he was and recognized him right away. You're right - he does have quite a lengthy filmography - starting back in the mid '80s. I see he even guested on Highway to Heaven, Who's the Boss and my favorite soap, The Young and the Restless.
    He was also in a few episodes of Different Strokes (as Willis's friend) but he turned out better than all the actors on that show combined. I guess the Differnet Stokes cursed didnt effect him. I don't think that is listed on IMDB.
    Last edited by sharon_b; March 25th, 2007 at 08:23 PM.

Fred Savage- Kevin Arnold on the Wonder Years.

i've never heard of anything bad or messed up about kieran culkin. and he's a great actor.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i've never heard of anything bad or messed up about kieran culkin. and he's a great actor.
    i have heard rumors of him being raped and getting hooked on drugs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information