Thread: Mr. Humphries (John Inman) of Are You Being Served? dead

Unhappy Mr. Humphries (John Inman) of Are You Being Served? dead

Sorry if this was already posted..did not see it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inman played the camp Mr Wilberforce Claybourne Humphries. His earlier career in the clothes retail business was good preparation for this role, in the menswear department. He developed a characteristic limp-wristed mincing walk, and a high-pitched catch phrase, "I'm free!", which soon entered popular culture. Although the catch phrase and the character were popular, Inman came under attack by some gay rights groups for what they perceived to be his stereotypical portrayal of a homosexual. However, both Inman and David Croft stated that the character was "just a mother's boy" and his sexual orientation was never explicitly stated.

Are You Being Served? ran for ten series until it finished in 1985. At its height, in the late 1970s, it regularly attracted British audiences of up to 20 million viewers. Inman's portrayal of Mr Humphries won him the BBC TV Personality of the Year in 1976 and he was voted the funniest man on television by TV Times readers. From 1980 to 1981, Inman also played Mr Humphries in the Australian version of Are You Being Served?, set in a store named "Bone Brothers" to avoid problems with a real business named Grace Brothers. The series also became popular in the United States, where Inman became a gay cultural icon. Once, in San Francisco, a passing cyclist spotted Inman and fell off his bicycle in surpise, crying "Mr Humphries, I love you!"

After the end of Are You Being Served?, Inman became one of the nation's best known pantomime dames and appeared in over 40 pantomime productions across the United Kingdom. In 2004, Inman made additional television appearances in Doctors and Revolver.

He lived in a mews house in Little Venice for 30 years. On 23 December 2005, Inman entered in a civil partnership at Westminster Register Office with his partner of 35 years, Ron Lynch.

Inman suffered from poor health in his later years. He was hospitalised with bronchitis in 1993, and collapsed on the stage in 1995. He was admitted to Paddington's St Mary's Hospital in 2001 after suffering breathing difficulties and spent three days in intensive care.

In December 2004, Inman was forced to cancel an appearance in a pantomime as he was suffering from a hepatitis A infection contracted from eating contaminated food. Following this, he never worked again.

Inman died early in the morning of 8 March 2007, aged 71, in St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington.

source: Out in America
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    loved that show.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Unfortunately, I have only seen the show twice, but thought it was really funny. Sorry to hear about this...

I am really sad. I loved him. He was my favorite character on that show. And I also would watch Mr. Jones. I think that was the name. I know I will miss his talent.

I had to just name the souce..I think the link went right to my own profile! lol. oh well If something is wrong I am sure a mod will let me know.

Are You Being Served? was a great show. Used to watch the runs of it on PBS religiously.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

That show was always one of my favorites!! I hope they put
    "Are you free?" on his tombstone. He delivered much joy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

my mom will be so sad-she loves this show.
    When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain

Really liked the show although i wasnt even born when the show was airing but my dad introduced me to this show a few years ago because he loves to watch old british comedies. Are You Being Served?, Only Fools and Horses and Fawlty Towers are his favorite. John Inman will be sadly missed.

Thread Information