Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is American Idol on the decline?

Default Is American Idol on the decline?

Seven weeks into the sixth season of “American Idol,” one thing is very clear: The phenomenon is over. This is the beginning of the series’ end; the show has peaked. At least it was fun while it lasted.
    To be clear, “American Idol” is not going anywhere. FOX is not going to cancel it; viewers are not going to stop watching tomorrow; Paula Abdul is not going to return to her home planet.
    In fact, the show has already been renewed through a ninth season — and possibly two more after that — and it regularly destroys its direct competition in the ratings. The show may even remain at the top of the ratings chart for another season or two.

After 200 episodes, however, there are clear signs of age and fatigue in the series, ones that signal “American Idol”’s time at the top is waning.
    Right now, the world is talking about only two things related to “American Idol”: photographs that show a semi-finalist in different states of undress, and how boring the singers are. Nothing else has captured viewers’ attention.
    Antonella Barba’s popularity isn’t surprising, but considering that she was one of the competition’s weaker singers, the fact that she’s become synonymous with this season is very telling. Discussion of Antonella and those photographs has all but consumed the coverage of the show, because there really isn’t anything else to talk about.
    While “Idol” has always been personality-driven, which is why it’s more of a reality series than a straight talent show like “Star Search,” the show depends upon more than just allegedly scandalous photographs of a 20-year-old. It needs incredible talent to power a stunning co
    nclusion, and the stunning moments that will inevitably come along the way.

Will anyone really care or be surprised if any one of the 12 finalists go home prematurely? Melinda Doolittle is quite talented, for example, but an undeniable part of her front-runner status comes from the weakness of her competition.
    And what kind of conclusion will this season offer? Not much of one, considering how flat and uninteresting this group of 12 is as a whole — and how flat the group of 24 before it was. Perhaps one of the boring finalists will grow to mediocre and then even good, and that person’s growth will be so impressive that America will award that person the title. At best, a third of the top 12 are interesting performers with distinct styles; the others are forgettable.

'American Idol' has begun its decline - American Idol - MSNBC.com

I just have to say that Paula reminds me of ANS the way she talks.. It is obnoxious that we are supposed to believe the stupid stories for the reason she talks all slurred, just like ANS.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I am not so sure that it is on the way out.
    Here are the latest tv ratings..notice who is in the top three.

Prime-time viewership numbers compiled by Nielsen Media Research for March 5-11. Listings include the week's ranking, with viewership for the week and season-to-date rankings in parentheses. An "X" in parentheses denotes a one-time-only presentation.
    1. (2) "American Idol" (Wednesday), Fox, 28.55 million viewers.
    2. (1) "American Idol" (Tuesday), Fox, 27.95 million viewers.
    3. (X) "American Idol" (Thursday)," Fox, 27.52 million viewers.
    4. (9) "House," Fox, 24.4 million viewers.
    5. (3) "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" Fox, 20.66 million viewers.
    6. (12) "Deal Or No Deal" (Monday), NBC, 18.39 million viewers.
    7. (17) "Without a Trace," CBS, 17.53 million viewers.
    8. (5) "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," CBS, 15.451 million viewers.
    9. (23) "Cold Case," CBS, 15.447 million viewers.
    10. (17) "Heroes," NBC, 14.9 million viewers.
    11. (15) "Two And a Half Men," CBS, 14.55 million viewers.
    12. (10) "CSI: Miami," CBS, 14.33 million viewers.
    13. (23) "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," ABC, 13.95 million viewers.
    14. (15) "Survivor: Fiji," CBS, 13.82 million viewers.
    15. (17) "Criminal Minds," CBS, 13.68 million viewers.
    16. (17) "24," Fox, 13.04 million viewers.
    17. (33) "Deal Or No Deal" (Sunday), NBC, 12.91 million viewers.
    18. (25) "Rules Of Engagement," CBS, 12.51 million viewers.
    19. (13) "Lost," ABC, 12.45 million viewers.
    19. (17) "NCIS," CBS, 12.45 million viewers.
    ___

It is getting dull, but I can't help but watch.

Paula is getting annoying, maybe she is bored with it. All she says is, you're talented, you look great, you're very pretty, you look like a star, or <insert 3 negative words>.

Silver Member

I think this batch of singers really blow.
    No fun anymore.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

I've never watched the show. And I don't know why...perhaps its just rebellion on my part? But there's something, and I cannot put my finger on it, that really turns me off about it. Seems so mean spirited or something, yet I am unsure if that is the actual reason.

It's on so often it seems. Just constantly. Jumped the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by joy0923 View Post
    I am not so sure that it is on the way out.
    Here are the latest tv ratings..notice who is in the top three.

Prime-time viewership numbers compiled by Nielsen Media Research for March 5-11. Listings include the week's ranking, with viewership for the week and season-to-date rankings in parentheses. An "X" in parentheses denotes a one-time-only presentation.
    1. (2) "American Idol" (Wednesday), Fox, 28.55 million viewers.
    2. (1) "American Idol" (Tuesday), Fox, 27.95 million viewers.
    3. (X) "American Idol" (Thursday)," Fox, 27.52 million viewers.
    4. (9) "House," Fox, 24.4 million viewers.
    5. (3) "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" Fox, 20.66 million viewers.
    6. (12) "Deal Or No Deal" (Monday), NBC, 18.39 million viewers.
    7. (17) "Without a Trace," CBS, 17.53 million viewers.
    8. (5) "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," CBS, 15.451 million viewers.
    9. (23) "Cold Case," CBS, 15.447 million viewers.
    10. (17) "Heroes," NBC, 14.9 million viewers.
    11. (15) "Two And a Half Men," CBS, 14.55 million viewers.
    12. (10) "CSI: Miami," CBS, 14.33 million viewers.
    13. (23) "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," ABC, 13.95 million viewers.
    14. (15) "Survivor: Fiji," CBS, 13.82 million viewers.
    15. (17) "Criminal Minds," CBS, 13.68 million viewers.
    16. (17) "24," Fox, 13.04 million viewers.
    17. (33) "Deal Or No Deal" (Sunday), NBC, 12.91 million viewers.
    18. (25) "Rules Of Engagement," CBS, 12.51 million viewers.
    19. (13) "Lost," ABC, 12.45 million viewers.
    19. (17) "NCIS," CBS, 12.45 million viewers.
    ___
    I have never seen a single episode of any of these shows. I don't even know why I have a tv. All I ever watch are repeats of Seinfeld, Frasier, and Everybody Loves Raymond.

After last night, I seriously wanted to bring everyone back from last season for a do-over. At least there was a talented majority. Sanjaya bites.

I can't help but think they've tapped the best talent of people willing to go on AI already.

There's a segment of really, really, really talented people that just wouldn't ever do AI, regardless of its popularity. There's a stigma associated with being an AI. Kelly Clarkson has shaken it, but it's been years and she's incredibly talented with a shitload of album sales. Carrie Underwood, who is talented, I guess, is still thought of as someone who won a reality show, I think. Clay's got a lot of fans, but what has he done lately besides dodge the closet door? I suspect some of the most talented people would prefer to try and get a record deal on their own without dealing with the reality show bullshit.

The type of people that would do the show are tapped out for a while, I think. There needs to be a lag so that a new generation of people can either become old enough to compete or their voices can mature and they gain the talent to really compete.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Yes!
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

American Idol is really quite bland this year. No doubt Melinda and LaKeisha are talented, but...it just doesn't seem to have the spark anymore.

I think the show needs to widen it's age bracket...what's the problem with upping the age to 35?

The show is crazy...I auditioned for it in '06...and you all wouldn't believe the amount of talented people they turn away only to send dudes that are wearing grass skirts and/or folks dressed up in costumes onto the next round. I saw so many great singers who could knock Antonella, Haley and the like out of the water get turned away for a girl who was dressed up as a genie. What...the...FUCK?! They told us initially, AI was NOT all about talent, it was about RATINGS. Well...I think America is getting sick of that gimmick...bring on the talent!!!!! Sheesh.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

if you ask me it should have ended the season b4 last.
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
    Melinda Doolittle is quite talented, for example, but an undeniable part of her front-runner status comes from the weakness of her competition.
    I don't agree with this statement from the article. She's fabulous and stands out no matter who else is up there. Same with LaKisha. And even Jordin.

i think melinda looks like a ferret...or maybe its a gerbal.....either wayy too ugly to be american idol....wait, there was fantasia....and kelly.

I watched the first season and after that the novelty wore off BIG time. I stopped watching for good when people started voting for sob stories and underdogs instead of talent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information