Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Black Donnellys -- more Irish thugs/Hollywood stereotyping

Default The Black Donnellys -- more Irish thugs/Hollywood stereotyping

I'm not looking forward to this show, does LA have anything original to offer anymore? I'm so sick of Hollywood constantly trotting out the old stereotypes: Italians are mafia, African-Americans are rappers/athletes/gang members, and the Irish are street thugs.

Granted I haven't seen the show yet, it premieres Monday, but the imdb blurb says, "Four young Irish brothers are caught up in New York's underworld of organized crime." Yay. Didn't we already see this movie 400 times by now?
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

ITA. Just from the commercials, I really hope this show gets cancelled.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    I'm not looking forward to this show, does LA have anything original to offer anymore? I'm so sick of Hollywood constantly trotting out the old stereotypes: Italians are mafia, African-Americans are rappers/athletes/gang members, and the Irish are street thugs.

Granted I haven't seen the show yet, it premieres Monday, but the imdb blurb says, "Four young Irish brothers are caught up in New York's underworld of organized crime." Yay. Didn't we already see this movie 400 times by now?
    i think i am pretty uninformed..i didn't even know about the irish gangs stereotype..what movies have shown this..? i'd like to check them out..i LOVE the irish and scottish accents on guys..

Coulda been worse - they could've set it in Boston
    Meh, I'm both Irish and Italian (and from NJ, Sopranos much? lol) and neither stereotype bothers me. Yes, I know some people who are *ahem* in the family and yes we do drink a lot, so these stereotypes aren't always that off-base. But you're absolutely right, Hollywood doesn't even try anymore. What was that quote from Not Another Teen Movie? "I'm the token black guy; I'm just supposed to say things like 'bling-bling' and 'that is WHACK!'. "
    Haven't seen the show, but isn't it just like "The Brothers McMullin" meets "Southie"?

I saw the pilot online and I can tell you that it wasn't that great. I was absurdly confused (way too many flashbacks, flasforward, flashing your great Uncle Rickie idk) and all the characters looked the same. I think the one thing that bothered me the most was there was really no clear indiciation of what they were, are they a gang? Is it the Irish mob, is it a group of brothers who have nothing better to do with their time...idk!

I mean I will admit that I wasn't paying that much attention to it but there was so much going on that I couldn't really even if I wanted to. I MAY go back and watch it again when it aires on TV but I had high hopes for it and was left wanting. IMO I doubt it will last past this season.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by xoxo View Post
    i think i am pretty uninformed..i didn't even know about the irish gangs stereotype..what movies have shown this..? i'd like to check them out..i LOVE the irish and scottish accents on guys..

I found this quote, "Cagney in 'Public Enemy,' 'Angels With Dirty Faces', and 'The Roaring Twenties' was the archetypal lawless urban Irish thug, whom prejudiced opinion was only too ready to associate with all of the Irish. Only the Italians has suffered as much in this area..." (Dennis Clark and Willian Lynch. "Hollywood and Hibernia: The Irish in Movies." In The Kaleidoscopic Lens: How Hollywood Views Ethnic Groups.

So it began a long time ago but still pops up in other movies like Good Will Hunting and The Departed. Coincidence they both take place in Boston? No, we have a deeply entrenched Irish population there. It's just repetitive to see movies and TV shows regurgitate the same old stories with the same old ethnic stereotypes.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

I just think it's funny that it's called the Black Donnellys, and they're white! lol!

they should have a show called The Black Chans, or something like that...make them chinese....perhaps they should start the asian gang stereotype.
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

OCD

My husband is Irish and he has black hair, I have heard of people refering to these characterics as a "Black Irish Prince" or what have you...

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, it's a reference to being Black Irish (light skin, dark hair, piercing eyes, usually blue).

Well I have to say all stereotypes aside, I really enjoyed this show. I thought the characters were rich and believable, the acting was well done and the guys were hot. My kind of show.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHeroTights View Post
    Well I have to say all stereotypes aside, I really enjoyed this show. I thought the characters were rich and believable, the acting was well done and the guys were hot. My kind of show.

Yep, I have to agree with you. I actually really like these types of storylines and it may seem like we see it all the time, but I'm hoping they add some different elements here. The Boondock Saints is probably one of my all-time favorite movies and The Black Donnellys reminds me of it.

Although, I do have to protest about Studio 60 because it was probably my favorite new show of the season. But I guess I'm biased because I love Aaron Sorkin and Bradley Whitford.
    debauched.

did anyone catch it last Monday?

Elite Member

I Liked it, if only because it reminded me so much of my family. We're black Irish, not irish thugs though. Though..I am related to Ned Kelly and we've got a fair few bikers in our family...hm...

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotypes. People think we're all drunks and brawlers. Sometimes it gets you so mad, all you want to do is get drunk and punch somebody."

"Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

Hit By Ban Bus!

A few classmates of mine did, and they enjoyed it. But they're all Celts lol.

I was expecting alot more from this show especially the way they blew it up. it was OK! that's all...i doubt it will last at all. kind of sad, because the main brother is sooooooo fuckin hot.
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information