Thread: Freedom Writers (with Hillary Swank)

Default Freedom Writers (with Hillary Swank)

So here we go again this friday, yet another "inspirational" story of a white teacher (is there any other kind) that serves to give hope and meaning to troubled young kids in school. Supposedly based on the real life story of a teacher in Long Beach, california, after the L.A. riots, who is trying to do something about the racial gang warfare going on in the streets and in school.

I am going to make some predictions about the movie and the cliches that will appear in it:

1. the female student that becomes pregnant and wants to drop out

2. the teacher will be criticized and face hostility from other staff for her unconventional methods

3. the "touching" montage scenes of students cleaning up graffitti and their schools

4. the one student who refuses to do good and instead will stay hostile towards the teacher and other students, and will try to persuade other students to stay out of school. He will end up dying.

5. the good student that ends up dead in a drive by, as the teacher cradles his dying body in school.

6. the final graduation ceremony with everyone all smiles and little blurbs about what this person ended up doing, what that ended up doing, etc.

7. the final exam or test, do or die.

8. the majority of the movie will focus on the troubled black students, followed by latino, and least amount of meaningful screen time will be given to the asian students. This, despite the fact that the bloodiest gang warfare along racial lines in Long Beach has traditionally been between asian and latino gangsters.

Yep, that sounds about right. One more thing to add... if the movie doesn't follow the final exam story, there's always a competition (generally music) that the underdogs win.
    debauched.

When I saw commercials for this it reminded me of the film Dangerous Minds, which I didn't like.
    Never trust a big butt and a smile...

isnt the movie produced by MTV? well, you know its gonna suck.

They just seem to keep making the same movies over and over again every few years. I don't really care for her anyway. Her mouth is too distracting!

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMissy View Post
    When I saw commercials for this it reminded me of the film Dangerous Minds, which I didn't like.
    It looked exactly like "Dangerous Minds" to me, too. And "Light it Up" and a few other movies.

Note to studio execs: We're not morons, we get that it's the same movie with different actors.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm not going to go see this in the theater but I do want to see it but that's just because Patrick Dempsey is in it.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    They just seem to keep making the same movies over and over again every few years. I don't really care for her anyway. Her mouth is too distracting!

I agree. It's hard for me to imagine her as any character because the minute I see those big, buck teeth and beady eyes I think, "Hilary Swank playing __________." Her face is very distracting, and I don't care what critics say about her... I don't think she's talented enough to make up for it.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah i dont understand why anyone would go see this?! its been done before like 20 fucking times!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well in the movie's defense it's a story about a young woman who was a teacher and is now a successful writing mentor. One of her high-up employees was one of the worst fuck-ups, and there are many other of her former students working for her as well. Some of them also have decent jobs within the entertainment industry working behind the scenes.

So while I agree with your points above and they're pretty funny, I saw this woman on a morning talk show and liked the segment. And I think I'm interested in it because it takes place in L.A. (Long Beach actually).

wasn't this movie also called 'high school high'?
    When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain

Thread Information