Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Intervention

A*O

Default Intervention

Anyone seen this? They film various addicts tellling them it's about their addiction, blah blah and then stage a 'surprise' intervention with family and friends. I've seen three eps about gambling, meth, painmeds, cutting, etc and to be honest I really wish I could find a shred of sympathy for any of them. Like all addicts they are the most selfish, self-obsessed losers you're likely to come across. They lie, steal, deny, manipulate, use and abuse without any conscience whatsoever. So far, none of the treatment programs they are sent to have any success and they are all either thrown out of the facility for breaking the rules (ie, using. gambling, etc again) or they quickly slip back into their old habits once they come home again, usually enabled by their spineless families and friends who continue to give them money, shelter, etc.

If the programme is supposed to show how 'successful' these interventions are then it's failing miserably.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I've seen it and it's realistic as these things go. Very few addicts are "cured" -- there is no instant formula for changing the habits/behavior of a lifetime. I've seen several episodes where people did get clean, but it usually took more than one try. Virtually all addicts relapse, the trick is to try again.

The success rate of rehab is less than 10 per cent for the first time, but people do get clean and stay that way -- I know a few, and it's terribly hard to grow up (most are immature/selfish/spoiled/narcissistic)a, change your friends, make amends with, or leave your family, alter your way of life AND give up something addictive all at once. But that is what it takes.

I only remember seeing 1 successful rehab stay. It was a guy who was addicted to crack cocaine who had SERIOUSLY hit rock bottom. He had a meltdown before the intervention when his girlfriend kicked him out of her parents' house where he was very close to suicidal to the point where producers had to intervene and make sure he didn't do anything. He went to rehab, completed the program, and stayed clean. His girlfriend was supposed to go to therapy to help her deal with the situation, but she never went.

The last episode I saw before I went to school (don't have the channel here) was an alcoholic that insisted her recovering alcoholic boyfriend (of only a few weeks) accompany her on the flight to the rehab facility. She pretty much decided that he would help her through it, so when they got off the plane for a layover they never got back on and just went home.

There have been a few -- i.e., they got clean, although they may have left rehab and gone back a couple of times. And yeah, I remember the two alcoholics. Soon as they got off the plane, I knew they were history.

I have seen this show several times. I have often wondered how they have gotten these addicts to go along w/filming them---what do they tell them? Since the addicts aren't supposed to know about the intervention, they must not clue them in that the intervention is the point of the show, so what do they say to them?? Hey, we want to film you shooting up for a documentary??? And they go along with it???? Baffling...
    I have seen a few that seemed promising. Others, notsomuch.

A*O

Last night we had the unemployed 22yr old gambling addict whose boyfriend worked 2 jobs in order to pay their rent and put food on the table. Her daddy paid for her car, insurance and credit card bills. Sweet. When the intervention happened she flatly refused to go into rehab, denying she had a problem, and you just knew her spineless parents and bf weren't going to cut her loose like they said they would and would cave in. She duly sat there whining and bleating until her bf took her home so 'she could research the rehab facility on the internet'. Sheesh. I think the reason these losers get away with this outrageous behaviour is down to their stupid enabling families half the time.

Lynnie - The addicts just LOVE all the attention they get from being the 'star' of their own movie. It makes them feel special.
    Dame Edna Everage

Yes, that's why the interventionists try to get them away from their families. I couldn't believe how everyone let her play them.

My niece has only been living with us for six weeks and I've already laid down the law a couple of times with her. She's not an addict, but she plays her little dependency "helpless" games and I've had to set her straight that in our household, everybody pulls their weight. Apparently her mother let her get away with everything, which is why she's the age she is without an education or even a job at this point.

That one with the meth-head gay guy was scary. He seemed totally doomed to me.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

A*O

He's in BIG trouble eh? He tried to explain his drug use and promiscuity as 'abandonment' issues (he was adopted at the age of 10 months) which is a neat excuse but doesn't really explain his wanton disregard for his health and safety. I think he said he'd had unprotected sex with at least 500 men and had already had most of the STDs you can think of although miraculously no HIV (yet). His poor parents were beside themselves with worry. I often think the real victims are the addict's family and friends.
    Dame Edna Everage

Yes, I'm actually watching it right now. There is this young girl who looks about 19, who smokes crack, shoots up herion, with her boyfriend and his friend. She got high on herion before going to her grandmothers house. But only did enough so she wouldn't look high. She told her mother at her grandmothers house that she didn't get enough sleep becasue she took a sleeping pill and she is still a bit drowsy.
    There is another half hour left. Commercial break!

I do like this show. I never know when it comes on but when it does I watch it.

I work with girls who shoot up. The way they look isn't good. Wrinkled, skin discoloration, skinny, ratty hair.
    My old roommate caught one of the girls we work with shooting up near her vagina while sitting on the bathroom sink. My old roommate said the girl didn't do anything, just kept going...

This girl did get off heroin tho, but her life is far from perfect. At least she's not a junkie any more.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah i love this show; I've been hooked since it started. it makes me feel so much better about myself.

^^Funny, I was thinking that earlier, too.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    That one with the meth-head gay guy was scary. He seemed totally doomed to me.
    yeah i saw that one too and when they said that he tested positive for HIV after his year long meth/slut binge at the very end of the show where they tell an update I actually started crying 4 him; this show is so hard to watch and it just hit me hard for some reason on that episode.

^Oh, I remember seeing that episode too. I kept saying in my head, this guys is going to get AIDS if he doesn't stop. At the end it did say he tested HIV positive. I felt real bad for the guy, I actually feel bad for all these people. Especially when they go to rehab, get clean and are at it again. Most of them fail and it's their own fault.

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information